Di2 9150 stops responding during software update. Please help.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

And are you using the EW-RS910 and EW-WU111?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

TonyM wrote:And are you using the EW-RS910 and EW-WU111?
No, I have the earlier D-Fly, the 101 and the older 3 port junction box mounted under the stem.

I guess the smarts are in the battery. You'd think Shimano would have made firmware updating by consumer to be more fault tolerant, and that if for some reason it had a problem, it would roll back to previous working state.

billrush

by billrush

Aleksandr wrote:Sorted!

All steps:
1. Downloaded E-TUBE to PC
2. Connected Di2 on SM-EW90 with SM-BCR-2
3. Open E-tube and got both flushing light on SM-EW90
4. Updated the software-just follow the steps.
5. Open E-TUBE on iPAD and connected with Di2 Wireless Unit EW-WU111 D-Fly ( installed on bike)
6. Updated all Di2 components.
7. All done ! Di2 9150 system working perfect.

Thanks for all replies.
Alek this list saved me a bunch of trouble. My battery was bricked from a failed blue tooth update from my IPhone. I was using the new EW-RS910 bar end junction with the EW-WU111. So at your step two I was attempting to fix the firmware using my SM- PCE1 to connect to the PC based E-TUBE software. It’s only when I read your post a third time I noticed you made the connection using your SM-BCR2 which I have but only use for charging. In step 3 I don’t think my EW-RS910 ever went into red/green flashing mode. Using the E-TUBE on my PC I was able to update all the firmware except the EW-WU111 and got a message it needed to be updated but must be done using ETube on IPhone/IPad. Bummer but by now, my battery was no longer dead and I could get the flashing lights again on the EW-RS910 and connect to my phone and update. Whew! I had already tried to contact the online shop where I bought the battery and ask for a warranty return. Haven’t heard back from them yet but now I’m ready to go. Oh, yea. Since I thought my battery was cooked, I pulled it out of the down tube mounting spot on my Cervello S5. Now I get to put it back in. Pain. Thanks. Hope this helps someone.

moyboy

by moyboy

Only issue is that the Shimano software is for PC. Not sure if it works on a PC emulator on a Mac.

kode54

by kode54

billrush wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 am
Aleksandr wrote:Sorted!

All steps:
1. Downloaded E-TUBE to PC
2. Connected Di2 on SM-EW90 with SM-BCR-2
3. Open E-tube and got both flushing light on SM-EW90
4. Updated the software-just follow the steps.
5. Open E-TUBE on iPAD and connected with Di2 Wireless Unit EW-WU111 D-Fly ( installed on bike)
6. Updated all Di2 components.
7. All done ! Di2 9150 system working perfect.

Thanks for all replies.
... except the EW-WU111 and got a message it needed to be updated but must be done using ETube on IPhone/IPad.

I tried it using my iPhone. Bricked my entire Di2 so I disconnected the battery to restore. The EW-WU111 cannot be updated by firmware via iPhone now. I have to try using an iPad or try to fix it with a PC (I don't have PC and will have to get my friend to see what's up).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Personally I think it's downright crap that Shimano's flagship Di2 groupset is so easily bricked, meaning you cannot ride the bike.
Systems like this should be absolutely bulletproof - it has been out for like 4 years now, so should not need any updating or tweaking.
And not having a Mac version is just plain lazy.

kode54

by kode54

Exactly. The fact that you need to do certain things with a connected by wire PC and other tweaks with iPhone/iPad.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

BTW, disconnecting battery resets most items...but I cannot update firmware for the EW-WU111 by iPhone.

I wonder what others have done in regards of the EW-WU111. I reset everything and now it says I have to register the EW-WU111 with Shimano before downloading new firmware. Haha. Endless cycle, so to speak.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

If you have changed the passkey, you MUST go to your phone's Bluetooth device list and forget/delete the WU111 there.

For some reason the app caches the old passkey, even when you change the passkey. If you then update the WU111, it'll come back online with the new passkey, and the app can't connect, causing systems to fail.
Deleting the WU111 Bluetooth device on the phone clears the cached passkey.

It's a very stupid system:x

kode54

by kode54

Thx for that! I will try that. Yeah...awful app.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc