Canyon CF SL(X) Disc tyre size

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roel W

by Roel W

So I'm considering the Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Disc.
Disc brakes, new Ultegra R8000 groupset, decent DT Swiss wheel, attractive price tag, 30mm max tyre size,... seems like a good package.
However the bikes comes with 25mm tyres and the frame is specced to handle 30mm maximum. Most tyres do come in 25mm, 28mm or 32mm. Size 30mm is quite rare (Challenge has them but they are reviewed as difficult/almost impossible to mount so not an option).
Any other brands that offer good 30mm tires?
Or does anyone tried 32mm tyres on the recent SL disc or SLX disc frame (both have the same mould)?

Delorre

by Delorre

My Endurace (same frame and fork as CF but slightly other geometry) handles 28mm gp4k with ease, and I mean, with room to spare, and those are >31mm real. So, any good 32mm tyre would fit without any problems. But, what is your intended use? It handes light gravel, but it's a pure race bike, not a gravel bike. The handling is to twitchy for that!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

Primary use would be road and occasionaly some light gravel or winter rides.
I'm also considering a Specialied Sequoia (gravel and bikepacking) and Ritchey Logic (timeless classic, smooth feeling, max28mm tyres, threaded BB, but unfortionately no disc brakes) and a Cube Road SL (bikepacking and cimmuting) and........

TonyM

by TonyM

Are you using 17 or 19mm rims?
Which tires are you using?
Which pressure do you have?

All this can affect the real measurement of your tire.

For example my 28mm Conti 4 seasons measure 30mm on 19mm rims at 95psi. The Vittoria Rubino 28mm measure with the same rims and pressure 29.6mm.

bikeguy0

by bikeguy0

Hold on....I've heard and read in a number of places the current Endurace CF SLX has room for up to 33c tires. Same on the Ultimate.

I'm looking to buy an Endurace in January when they come into stock in the US for the version I'm looking for.

hannawald

by hannawald

Endurace can take 33mm tyres, which means 33mm real size, not 33c that can be bigger with wider rims. It is an edge, where you cant be sure a tyre will fit. i tried some 33c Challenge gravel tyres and the clearance was so tight i returned them back. also because of some slightly bigger shoulder knobs.. Canyon told me that they never meant endurace as a gravel bike so with the clearance they tested 28mm tyres with some very wide rims to fit, not cyclocross tyres.. some may fit, some may not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy4g63

by andy4g63

I have Ultimate CF SL and it has 32mm GP 5000 measuring around 33 mm.
on a wide 23 mm internal LB rims.

It has plenty of clearance and pretty sure some 35 tires would fit.

I also saw a thread that had. Canyon Endurance with 35 mm Panracer GK SK tires and they clear ok,

They should fit the Ultimate too.