Lightweight Square Taper BB?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfracer03

by jfracer03

bikerjulio wrote:
jfracer03 wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:
jfracer03 wrote:It has come to my attention that there are a several vintage cranks out there that are comparable to modern cranks as far as weight, but most square taper bottom brackets are typically 200-300grams. I really like the way vintage cranks look, but without a lightweight bottom bracket I don't see a reason to use one, at least when attempting a more lightweight build.

Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but it's hard to compare old cranks with new and old BB's with new because the configurations are usually completely different.

You need to add up the weights of the complete crankset/BB system in order to make a comparison.

I don't think the configurations are really that different. They are basically the same setup with the main difference being new technology and materials. Obviously the performance can't be compared but as far as weight with a newer/better or lightweight bb and aesthetics, I think there is some room to compare. There are other crank systems like ISIS and Octalink that have the same configuration as square taper, although they are becoming outdated and yet square taper is still being used on new bikes.

You used the term "comparable to modern cranks". Perhaps we have a different idea as to what constitutes "modern".

I have both ISIS and Octalink, which were already outdated 10 years ago. Not becoming outdated.

I was referring to current systems on the kind of bikes discussed here, that have been in use for a while , for instance- Campy Ultratorque ten years, GXP has been around about 13 years, Shimano's Hollowtech since 2003, and then there's all the BB30/PF30 systems and adapters.

If you look through a current guide to BB's here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/ you will notice that there's no mention of square taper, ISIS or Octalink. NTTAWWT and I have bikes with all of those, but they are all considered obsolete on modern road bikes.

Bike Radar's guide does not put into consideration all types of bikes. Folding bikes like the Brompton use square taper and they can be found to weigh around 150 grams.

Everyone please keep the recommendations coming! I appreciate all the options.

jih

by jih

This might be obvious, but when comparing weights, remember that modern cranks tend to include the spindle in the crank weight. Square taper cranks don't. So you can't just directly compare the weights of old and new cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

jih wrote:This might be obvious, but when comparing weights, remember that modern cranks tend to include the spindle in the crank weight. Square taper cranks don't. So you can't just directly compare the weights of old and new cranks.

See my first post from 2 days ago. OP didn't take it too well.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Geoff

by Geoff

Funny. The very first thing we did with our new bikes at the start of each season was replace the Super Record Ti bottom bracket spindle with a Nuovo Record steel version. You can't win if you can't finish.