Help installing DuraAce BB92-41 Bottom Bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apctjb

by apctjb

Starting in on my first WW build. Purchased a Workswell 093 frame (750g measured!) which takes a BB86 press fit bottom bracket. I got a DuraAce R9100 group set with a BB92-41 bottom bracket which I was told is compatible with BB86. (why Shimano calls it BB92 rather than BB86 is not clear to me..)

This is my first press fit BB build so a couple of questions.

1) Should I use any type of grease, paste, Teflon tape, etc. when installing the BB into the frame or should it be dry, BB directly to carbon frame?
2) Looking online it seems there are a range of press tools available ranging from relatively inexpensive (threaded rod with nuts and bushings ) to fancy looking things with handles and a range of different dies. How much does it matter which tool is used?
3) Are any spacers needed when using the BB92 on a BB86 frame.

Thanks !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

1. Yes to grease. Although some would recommend Loctite 609 retaining compound, my experience with frames with all carbon bottom bracket shells has shown this to be overkill.
2. Having been an early adopter of BB86 frames, I have come to own a variety of tools for bottom bracket installation. That includes a Park Tool HHP-2 headset press with additional BB86 bushings, the [url=endurobearings.com/products/tools/bb8692-cup-tool-brt-003/]Enduro BRT-003[/url] Pressfit BB Tool, and a Wheels Manufacturing Universal Bottom Bracket press. While the Enduro installs and remove bottom brackets with ease, from a cost standpoint, the Wheels Manufacturing tool is the hands on favorite in terms of low cost as well as ensuring the bottom bracket is installed correctly.
3. No spacers should be required.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

apctjb

by apctjb

1. Yes to grease. Although some would recommend Loctite 609 retaining compound, my experience with frames with all carbon bottom bracket shells has shown this to be overkill.
2. Having been an early adopter of BB86 frames, I have come to own a variety of tools for bottom bracket installation. That includes a Park Tool HHP-2 headset press with additional BB86 bushings, the [url=endurobearings.com/products/tools/bb8692-cup-tool-brt-003/]Enduro BRT-003[/url] Pressfit BB Tool, and a Wheels Manufacturing Universal Bottom Bracket press. While the Enduro installs and remove bottom brackets with ease, from a cost standpoint, the Wheels Manufacturing tool is the hands on favorite in terms of low cost as well as ensuring the bottom bracket is installed correctly.
3. No spacers should be required.

Thanks for input. Is there any specific type/brand of grease you recommend? Can I assume just a light coat around the outside of the cups to help them slide in?

The Wheel Manufacturing BB press looks great and a real value. Thanks

TonyM

by TonyM

Do you have to grease?
Or you can? Or you should?

In my Scott the original BB had no grease and I did not use any grease for the new BB.

tyty

by tyty

apctjb wrote:Starting in on my first WW build. Purchased a Workswell 093 frame (750g measured!) which takes a BB86 press fit bottom bracket. I got a DuraAce R9100 group set with a BB92-41 bottom bracket which I was told is compatible with BB86. (why Shimano calls it BB92 rather than BB86 is not clear to me..)

This is my first press fit BB build so a couple of questions.

1) Should I use any type of grease, paste, Teflon tape, etc. when installing the BB into the frame or should it be dry, BB directly to carbon frame?
2) Looking online it seems there are a range of press tools available ranging from relatively inexpensive (threaded rod with nuts and bushings ) to fancy looking things with handles and a range of different dies. How much does it matter which tool is used?
3) Are any spacers needed when using the BB92 on a BB86 frame.

Thanks !

I'm in a similar boat - have a fm-008 from hongfu on the way with bb86.

Through all my research, I decided on using a wheels manufacturing BB. I had heard some longevity issues with the dura ace ones. Plus the wheels bb press is by far the cheapest out there (@ $35) as stated above.

Here is the most detailed installation guide I've found, with their recommended compounds to install with in relation to type of frame. The video from GCN is really good too, however they recommend installing dry into a carbon frame.

http://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/BB8692-SH ... CTIONS.pdf

apctjb

by apctjb

I'm in a similar boat - have a fm-008 from hongfu on the way with bb86.

Through all my research, I decided on using a wheels manufacturing BB. I had heard some longevity issues with the dura ace ones. Plus the wheels bb press is by far the cheapest out there (@ $35) as stated above.

Here is the most detailed installation guide I've found, with their recommended compounds to install with in relation to type of frame. The video from GCN is really good too, however they recommend installing dry into a carbon frame.

http://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/BB8692-SH ... CTIONS.pdf

Just placed the order for the Wheel Manufacturing tool, decided to get the pro model (not because I am pro) but because it was available on Amazon with free shipping and 2 day delivery and in the end not much more $$ delivered than the standard version.

I read through the wheelmfg installation PDF. Interesting they are recommending using a Teflon paste when installing the cups in a carbon frame. I also contacted Workswell (the frame is an Workswell 093) and their recommendation is install it dry so it does not loosen or creak. So getting some conflicting intel on how to best install.

reknop

by reknop

I used Morgen Blue don't get stuck aquaproof paste on the cups of my C-Bear Bottom Bracket for BB86/BB92.

https://www.remo-knops.com/5417/c-bear- ... bb86-bb92/

I used the CEMA Bearing Bottom Bracket Replacement Tool to remove my Dura Ace bottom bracket and install the new C-Bear Bottom Bracket for BB86/BB92.

https://www.remo-knops.com/5420/cema-be ... cket-tool/

It is not a cheap tool set, but you can remove the bearings and cups in a very controlled way.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Always install a plastic BB cup bare ... no substance/compound required, whether carbon/aluminium/steel/bamboo/metal matrix/titanium/magnesium/anything bottom bracket shell.

apctjb

by apctjb

Thanks for all the input.

The Wheels Mfg BB press tool arrived (2 days on Amazon :) and I installed the Dura Ace BB, which has plastic cups. I followed the advice of Workswell and Valbrona and installed them dry. The press tool worked like a charm with no problem installing the cups. A couple of minutes is all it took.

I guess time will tell if I made the right decision....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com