Endurance frame question, recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mtek

by Mtek

Im looking for a light weight grandfondo frame to build. I have certain needs, disc breaks, 30mm tires, fender mounts, etc. I came across the 2018 Krypton GF, reasonable frame weight (800) and cost on wrenchescience.

The head tube looks interesting, interchachae height is cool. The one thing holding me back is the overall look...the front fork is very different. I can find other pics as it’s new for 2018, no reviews either.

Who makes a frame with decent looks in the under 3k dollar category, disc, 32 mm tires, around 800 frame weight.

Krypton GF

https://www.argon18bike.com/uploads/fil ... nt-eng.pdf

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Trek Emonda disc frame even less weights

Not 100% sure on 32mm
Last edited by spdntrxi on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

Cool fork. Just get that one.
There aren't many endurance frames around the 800 mark. New synapse hm is 950 (fenders and 32mm). Domane SLR is about 950, bmc RM01 920g
Chasse patate

Mtek

by Mtek

I think I’ll get the Argon, thx. I really like RM01 but I don’t want 2 BMC.

TonyM

by TonyM

Not many bikes with genuine fender mounts and not a "DIY fender mount"

Here some:

BMC Roadmachine02/03
Focus Paralane
Trek Domane
Spezialized Diverge
GT Grade

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You need to be careful with fender mounts on disc bikes. The thing that is often missing is a rear brake bridge. Without this, there is no way to properly secure the rear fender. This has been a problem with Argon. Trek has had a removable rear brake bridge for years and have generally done the best job with fender mounts. Other brands have followed their example (sorry can't remember which).

Disc forks can also be a challenge with some designs that require you do connect the disc side fork support to a tab that inserts between the caliper mounting point and the caliper. This can make aligning the caliper more difficult and also requires some talented bending of the support.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TonyM

by TonyM

Indeed the mounts for the rear fenders should have a rear brake bridge! For my BMC Roadmachine it is the case.

And for the fork it can also be a challenge to have a clean and secure DIY solution.

To me if you have fenders on your bike all year long you should go for a bike with genuine fender mounts and not with a DIY solution.

TonyM

by TonyM

Here another one that I found (endurance, mounts for fenders, 42mm tire clearance, ....)

https://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/road/terra-c-ultegra

silvalis

by silvalis

That krypton GF looks like it has a removable seatstay bridge for fender mounts.
Chasse patate

Mtek

by Mtek

Guys, I ordered the Krypton. I’ll call tomorrow and ask about the bridge @silvalis

TonyM

by TonyM

Does the Krypton have already fender mounts or do you have to make DIY fender mounts?

Mtek

by Mtek

@tonym it has them, I’m just unsure about a bridge

TonyM

by TonyM

[emoji106]

I have noticed that the Focus Paralane (with fenders) for example doesn‘t have such a brake bridge but to me the brake bridge brings a better stability for the fenders and mudguards (I can see it on my Roadmachine02).

wingguy

by wingguy

The focus paralane does have a clip on bridge mount supplied with the bike. Cervelo C series also, and the new Synapse has one that bolts on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

wingguy wrote:The focus paralane does have a clip on bridge mount supplied with the bike. Cervelo C series also, and the new Synapse has one that bolts on.

Thanks for the info on the Focus Paralane. Good German Engineering!