Rear Derailleur Pulley Wheels / Jockey Wheels - 17t and oversized sizes - where?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Prendy like I mentioned before I have just tuned a WiFi rival in a way no one has before , as far as I am aware . I had a chat with Stephen ( Fibre Lyte) I opted to go 14 and 12 carbon jockey wheels .
I’m not sure about the chain bend on shorter mechs with a 15 and 12 , the curve is quite significant.
I post the mech when the jockey wheels arrive. and I have tested it .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Can anyone give the reason why some uses jockey wheels of the same sizes and others use different sizes for each? Ceramicspeed has 17t-17t for their sram version but 12t-17t for shimano version, why is that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:33 pm
Prendy like I mentioned before I have just tuned a WiFi rival in a way no one has before , as far as I am aware . I had a chat with Stephen ( Fibre Lyte) I opted to go 14 and 12 carbon jockey wheels .
I’m not sure about the chain bend on shorter mechs with a 15 and 12 , the curve is quite significant.
Post a picture! I contacted Stephen and I was told that he is not making the CF jockey wheels for not because the supplier for his "bearing" (equivalent) is unable to supply him anymore. Is he sending you existing stock?

Kayrehn wrote: Can anyone give the reason why some uses jockey wheels of the same sizes and others use different sizes for each? Ceramicspeed has 17t-17t for their sram version but 12t-17t for shimano version, why is that?
I'm not sure, but off the top of my head a guess might be one's shifting/range of cassette possibly?
The other might be weight - 12t is lighter than 17t.

The RockBros cage comes with their ceramic pulleys and they spin incredibly smooth in hand. I'll have to get around to making a video and posting it, it's a bit unreal.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

prendrefeu wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:14 pm
Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:33 pm
Post a picture! I contacted Stephen and I was told that he is not making the CF jockey wheels for not because the supplier for his "bearing" (equivalent) is unable to supply him anymore. Is he sending you existing stock?

Kayrehn wrote: Can anyone give the reason why some uses jockey wheels of the same sizes and others use different sizes for each? Ceramicspeed has 17t-17t for their sram version but 12t-17t for shimano version, why is that?
I'm not sure, but off the top of my head a guess might be one's shifting/range of cassette possibly?
The other might be weight - 12t is lighter than 17t.

The RockBros cage comes with their ceramic pulleys and they spin incredibly smooth in hand. I'll have to get around to making a video and posting it, it's a bit unreal.

He did mention he was having a time issue with the jockey wheels but has not cancelled my order .
I will email him and find out , I ordered the jockey wheels quite a while ago. Other parts have arrived . I’m waiting for a 53 t single speed chain ring for my clavicula and the jockey wheels .
hopefully I’m still getting them.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

You can see i have chopped the rear section out . I tried this because the wi fli has more material there. I doubt this would work on a short cage , destroyed.
The spring tension is fine and feels as strong as my short cage red tunings .
This is a significant weight loss, if this works with a red wi fli you should be in the 70 gram area. The only issue could be that the red material is not as strong as the rival.
Like I said , soon as jockey wheels arrive I will give it a go , I have a carbon cage going on the rear.
If it works I may try it on a red wi fli or if any one out there wants to give it a go I’d be interested to see how it holds up. I have not weighed it . I will when all the parts arrive.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Few bits ....I’ll use some on my trek that I’m re building The vuma quad now has a single carbon chainring.

Imageg

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Thanks for the measurements @Prendrefeu - I measured my Sram etap wifli derailleur as well and the bolt-to-bolt centre distance is about 81mm.

I did a bit of googling and found out from a bikeradar article that having a normal 11t or 12t for the top pulley makes shifting more crisp.

How about we ask Stephen for a custom pair of carbon 17t and split the costs eh @Prendrefeu Gotta say that his pulley wheels uses bushings instead of bearings and hence don't spin freely, but they sure are light!

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Had a mail chat with Stephen, right now jockey wheels are not available.
Not sure now what I’m going to do . I do have normal size carbon jockey wheels but on the wi fli wanted to use bigger jockey wheels . May just try and find some light cnc 15t from somewhere and use a 5grm 11t that I already have.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Thanks for the info @Jenmoss, let us know if you managed to find some light options for 15t and beyond.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:19 pm
Thanks for the info @Jenmoss, let us know if you managed to find some light options for 15t and beyond.

Will do :thumbup:

morganb

by morganb

Do you know if there is a way to buy their stuff in the US? This is the first company other than Rotor and TA (which only work with ISO square taper BB) that does sub 160 cranks.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

morganb wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:06 am
Do you know if there is a way to buy their stuff in the US? This is the first company other than Rotor and TA (which only work with ISO square taper BB) that does sub 160 cranks.
Have you contacted them? Nothing stopping you contacting there UK distributor or one of the others ,I’m sure one of them would post to the US.

morganb

by morganb

Jenmoss wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm
morganb wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:06 am
Have you contacted them? Nothing stopping you contacting there UK distributor or one of the others ,I’m sure one of them would post to the US.
I sent them an email today and they responded within a few hours telling me that they will sell directly to me since they don't have a US dealer, good news!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just got this pair of 12t-16t from J&L. Runs on bearings, spins effortlessly. Unfortunately the 16t doesn't fit the Etap Wifli. I might get his 14t one instead if he can sell just a single one. ImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

So I got a 14t J&L jockey wheel instead and I put it on right away upon receiving it; was so excited to try it that I forgot to weigh it, but in between the weight of the 12t and 16t it should be around 9.2g. More importantly, it works! There's still a reasonable gap between the cage and the chain as shown in the second picture so it should be fine. Pretty good investment given the cheap price and the fact that it spins well (though my mechanics always say that doesn't matter). ImageImage