Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 pm 

mattr wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:
Their freehub splines are far more resistant to gouging than Shimano's, especially for alloy bodies.
Erm, yeah, the entire shimano spline system is designed to be made out of steel or Ti. So you can get a big bearing in the end and a small sprocket with shallow splines. Anyone making them out of aluminium is just not following shimanos original design concept.

You want them out of aluminium, you need a deeper spline and a smaller bearing, or limit yourself to a 13t small sprocket.....

(Oh, yeah, when they did do a deep spline, everyone complained and they dropped it)

Even in steel they gouge a lot, especially on cassettes with loose cogs (I had 8 speed Campy on a Mavic Helium wheelset with a Shimano freehub, used dismantled HG cassettes with Campy spacers from Wheels Manufacturing)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:26 pm 

Again, not designed to use loose cogs. Even the cheapest of cheap cassettes use pins between the larger sprockets to spread the load.

I've had 40000 mile freehubs on tiagra equipped training/touring/commuting bikes with barely a mark on them. Rusty as hell, shot bearings and pitted hub body due to neglect though. :)

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:26 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:12 am 

I hope it will be something innovative! And not just « classic »...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:02 pm 

avispa wrote:
and who can forget about the Ultra-torque crank-set! It's by far, the most durable and easy to maintain BB/crank-set combination in the market!

While you might be right that bearings last longer than Shimano HT2 (although this is not my experience and there is no reason why they should) tools to remove them cost roughly the same as 4-5 Shimano BBs, which can be fitted with very basic tools (which you do need anyway for Campag cups).

I have never particularly liked Ultra Torque when I had it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:48 pm 

I a, thinking the movement might be a new mechanical shifter...
https://www.google.com/patents/US926658 ... gear+shift

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:51 pm 

no images :(

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:28 pm 

whosatthewheel wrote:
avispa wrote:
and who can forget about the Ultra-torque crank-set! It's by far, the most durable and easy to maintain BB/crank-set combination in the market!

While you might be right that bearings last longer than Shimano HT2 (although this is not my experience and there is no reason why they should) tools to remove them cost roughly the same as 4-5 Shimano BBs, which can be fitted with very basic tools (which you do need anyway for Campag cups).

What special tools do you say you need for ultra torque?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:49 pm 

Yeah, surely you can just pop 'm off with a screwdriver and bang 'm back on with an old seat post :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:33 pm 

whosatthewheel wrote:
avispa wrote:

Who cares on this thread................
Back on topic - I say 12 speed!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:28 am 

Or 1x11?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:47 pm 

roadhog44 wrote:
whosatthewheel wrote:
Who cares on this thread................
Back on topic - I say 12 speed!

WORD!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:51 pm 

TonyM wrote:
Or 1x11?

Not sure that 1x is an innovation. It’s stunning to me how that has rocked the mtb world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:17 pm 

Attermann wrote:
whosatthewheel wrote:
avispa wrote:

Allen key extension for the bolt. Park tool bearing extractor... combined cost about 60 GBP at the time... the average Shimano BB was 10-15. then of course the tool for the cups, but that is the same as the Shimano HT2 BB tool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 pm 

whosatthewheel wrote:
Attermann wrote:
whosatthewheel wrote:
avispa wrote:

Allen key extension for the bolt. Park tool bearing extractor... combined cost about 60 GBP at the time... the average Shimano BB was 10-15. then of course the tool for the cups, but that is the same as the Shimano HT2 BB tool

I've never needed an Allen key extension. I just bought the one Allen key that was long enough in the first place.
Are you talking about power torque? That WAS an odd system, but you'd only need a bearing puller if replacing the actual bearings?! How often does that need doing, unless you live ON a sandy beach?
Don't need a bearing press with UT (unless you've got PF) & no need for the drift to remove the cups either, unless again PF.

Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:18 pm 
in the industry

Ultra torque is simple and if you get the cult bearings you'll be waiting an eon for them to wear out.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next