Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:54 pm 

After years thinking that their product lineup was too big with too much overlap, the introduction of disc brakes has almost doubled the problem with a total of 14 groups in the 2018 lineup.

As for their past innovations, they were well ahead of Shimano in 10-speed, and again in 11-speed. The Ultrashift shifter mech is a definite improvement over the old g=spring shifters.

They had hidden cables that worked and were early users of carbon in seatposts (2000), cranks, levers and derailleur parts.

After the market has adopted disc brakes, the next innovation will be 12-speed and wider rear spacing. Forcing another round of bike buying.

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:34 pm 

If standard road frames all go 135mm QR or 142 thu-axel everything I have will be outdated and less and less compatible going forward. I'm not looking forward to that. In practical terms, I doubt it will be a real problem though at some point one may not be able to buy the current top end group since it will only come in 12 speed.

joe1234 wrote:
I'm afraid for Campagnolo...I think this company have no ca$h flow to continue innovating...

This is a game now of tiny incremental improvements which Campagnolo seems to be good at. At least they are a privately held company and aren't beholden to shareholders, quarterly profit reports, and short term thinking.

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:34 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:52 pm 
in the industry

There are a similar number of shimano groups and no one complains. I am not sure what this thread is even about.

The bike industry has always come up with new standards. nothing new in this so why are folk complaining. If everything remained the same the whole economy would collapse. You do like eating right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 pm 

Just spotted the movement news. Was wondering what was this thread all about
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/11/30/ca ... new-watch/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 pm 

Their freehub splines are far more resistant to gouging than Shimano's, especially for alloy bodies.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:44 pm 

Campagnolo surprised me with their excellent Bora wheels and with their sister brand Fulcrum. All very good wheels!

I hope Campagnolo will stay in the business for many coming years!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:50 pm 

whosatthewheel wrote:
Campagnolo led innovation until the mid eighties... after that they have been following the trend.
They adopted wide BB axle late, they got to electric shifting late, they got to hydraulics last. I would not look at Campagnolo for innovation to be honest

This thread reminds me of the Apple vs Samsung debates I read in the tech forums. My take is this: I really do not care who is making innovative stuff or not, but rather who can implement a given technology better and more reliable. In other words, I could care less if Campy is last to produce Disc Brakes as long as theirs is the best in the market! I do not care if they are last with a wireless shiftier as long as it shifts like their current wired stuff. Let others innovate and let other unwise buyers beta test the first thing that comes around in any technology... I will wait for the best application of that technology once it's proven and well tested.

As I have mentioned many times, Campy is not a multi-billion dollar company and they do not have the luxury to put out products in the market that may be recalled. This will put them out of business real fast.
I do believe that Campy is long over due for a refinement of their EPS group sets, but I really hope is just not smoke and mirrors like may have done.

I like to mention that for "innovation" Campy also beat Shimano and Sram on their implementation of an app with Bluetooth to work on their EPS group-sets and who can forget about the Ultra-torque crank-set! It's by far, the most durable and easy to maintain BB/crank-set combination in the market!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:05 am 

Maybe related to these published pa tents on 11/30?

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20171130 ... 341708.php
http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20171130 ... 341709.php

Seems to cover:
- electronic automatic shifting based on cadence and torque (sounds like shimano syncroshift but with power)
- angle adjustment of derailleurs based on gear selection (sounds like sram yaw)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:22 am 

dvq wrote:
Seems to cover:
- electronic automatic shifting based on cadence and torque (sounds like shimano syncroshift but with power)

Automatic shifting? Gawd, I hope not!

But maybe they’re doing that for the new Pinarello Nytro. Soon the rider will no longer have to pedal or shift. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:55 am 

Maybe Campagnolo is going to come out with a frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 am 

Smart watch?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:01 am 

A watch!
Or a bike computer??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:02 am 

I was hoping for a nice automatic movement...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:56 pm 

Campagnolo once made bike computers (Ergobrain). I would like to see a new kind of bike computer (Omata style) with integrated power, electronic shifting and all kind of GPS data.

Also: the current EPS derailleur design is quite old (all groups). Maybe it's time for something new?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:56 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:10 pm 

bremerradkurier wrote:
Their freehub splines are far more resistant to gouging than Shimano's, especially for alloy bodies.
Erm, yeah, the entire shimano spline system is designed to be made out of steel or Ti. So you can get a big bearing in the end and a small sprocket with shallow splines. Anyone making them out of aluminium is just not following shimanos original design concept.

You want them out of aluminium, you need a deeper spline and a smaller bearing, or limit yourself to a 13t small sprocket.....

(Oh, yeah, when they did do a deep spline, everyone complained and they dropped it)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next