Servicing Campag Record OS silver hubs (pre-2006)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eleven21

by Eleven21

If possible I would like to overhaul my Campag Record oversized hubs (the Pre-2006 silver model). I have several wheel sets built on these hubs and if possible rather than use another Campagnolo dealer, would like to start servicing them myself.

Over the years, I've had some hubs serviced by our local Campagnolo service centre - at a considerable cost - but as they have now ceased trading I thought it best I learnt how to replace the consumable parts myself (i.e. removing and installing new bearing races without damaging the soft alloy hub shell).

I am fully aware it may well require purchase of some new (and potentially expensive tools) but given the value of these hubs I am quite prepared to make that investment. I've already have a new set of the black Record hubs and think could use parts from these rather than buying each consumable component individually.

If anyone has experience replacing the cups on these hubs and can advise it would be very much appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I too have several of these hubsets, and have done one serious service job.

These hubs are extremely durable and well sealed IME, so in most cases a cleaning and regrease is all that's needed.

The hubs I serviced were on a set of heavily used Neutron wheels that I got cheap. Both front and rears were gritty and tight, in fact unuseable when I got them.

On dissassembly I found visible wear on the cones but the cups were fine. So firstly you should check both cups and cones. It is only the cups that would require any tooling to remove and replace. The cones are a slip fit on the spindle.

So, in my case all that was needed was new cones and bearings. The cost of parts individually even 7 or so years ago was high. What is useful to know is that the front hubs have the same races and bearings as the rear. So at the time I was able to buy Centaur front hubs cheaply just for the bearings. Like this https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Campagnolo-Centaur-32H-Front-Hub---2002/m-18899.aspx And yes in case you are wondering, the Centaur hubs of that era had identical parts to Chorus and record.

After just replacing cones and bearings on the beaten up Neutrons they span like new.

Some users report freehub bearing wear. That was not a problem for me, but a search will show how to replace these if necessary.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

XCProMD

by XCProMD

It is not often that a Campagnolo hub needs races substituted. Given your hubs have been regularly serviced you should be fine with fresh balls and grease more often than not.

In the event of a dented cone, all you will need is a couple of good come spanners.

Hub cups- yes, it’s going to take expensive tools.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

XCProMD wrote:It is not often that a Campagnolo hub needs races substituted. Given your hubs have been regularly serviced you should be fine with fresh balls and grease more often than not.

In the event of a dented cone, all you will need is a couple of good come spanners.

Hub cups- yes, it’s going to take expensive tools.

The Campy "oversize" hubs from 1999(?) on don't use cone spanners. Preload is via a threaded adjuster. This is what OP has.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

My silver oversize hubs are the last model before the current black version.

Hollow axles and as mentioned by Bikerjulio, use a threaded collet type adjuster. They're so extremely easy to perform a mid season service on, with a quick clean and re-grease hence my wanting to look after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eleven21

by Eleven21

IMG_0592.JPG

This model...

Thanks for the link to the centaur hub. That's a great tip.

So in essence if I get in to a habit of keeping them cleaned and repacked with fresh grease, say every 6 months or 5k maybe, I 'should' avoid wearing out the cups?

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I was assuming the old threaded axle and cone version, my mistake

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Also when replacing the bearings I understand that I can reuse the plastic retainer and pop in new bearings. Any suggestions on what grade bearings to use?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Campy seems to use excellent bearings. Unless there's cone wear I would not be touching them.

I'd abused a set of wheels through several Toronto winters, commuting. I fully expected I was going to have to replace something. I was pleasantly surprised to find the bearings relatively clean and in excellent condition. The seals seemed to have worked really well.

So an occasional dissassembly, clean, regrease and adjustment should keep them going for years.

One.

androidavies

by androidavies

I've done the hub cup, and bearing and cone replacement on these hubs a few times. The toolkit I have is made by Cyclus. I think it was £125-£150 a few years ago…… Not cheap!

As previously stated, if they feel smooth, a clean and re-grease is fine. You can replace the individual balls in their holder, yes. Minimum I would use is grade 25, although I think the originals may be a higher grade, (lower number) than that. It's not expensive to buy the bearings, but the cones and cups soon add up….

In Scotland, most of those hubs we get in are dead, badly pitted cones and cups, rusty bearings, and corroded hub flanges and bodies, although that possibly says more about the "maintenance" regime than the quality of the hubs!

If yours are still reasonably smooth, it should be fairly easy, and not too pricey, to keep them that way.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

The wheel sets I have built around the said silver record hubs are currently in good condition as I've always used a local campag service centre to do the work. Only one set of wheels some years ago now, had to have the cones replaced (hubs were the same shape Chorus without the oil port band around centre of shell). And yes it was an expensive job.

That campag dealer is no longer trading so I'll have to start servicing these hubs myself.

If I ever did have to replace a cone, how easy is it to perform that task with the Cyclus tool? I imagine the alloy of those hub shells is quite soft.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I just put this guide up http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/campagnolo-hub-dissassembly-362979.html

No tools needed to remove cones, only cups, which I said IME do not wear at anything like the same rate as cones.

One.

Bondurant

by Bondurant

Appreciate you taking the time to do that

atakaoka

by atakaoka

You Will need this tools.
https://www.totalcycling.com/Mobile/en/ ... 19805.aspx

https://www.totalcycling.com/Mobile/en/ ... 19806.aspx

This are for Record class OS hubs. This includes Chorus too.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

This is great stuff. I very much appreciate everyone's input. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com