BMC teammachine slr 01 size

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dcngr

by dcngr

Hi all
Im ordering a bmc teammachine slr 01. Its my first real competitive bike. Can't decide between 47 or 51. Im 166cm tall. Im using the competitive cyclist fit calculator and then using Ridley website for stack and reach. Im border line between the two. I've heard the smaller size could prove to cause neck and shoulder stress and go for the 51 for longer term comfort.

Any advice or opinions most welcome. My head is wrecked trying to figure it out.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I'm 170cm and ride a 52mm Specialized Allez, Small TCR, and 50mm Oltre XR4. If i had to bet, I would say you're better off with the 47.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

silvalis

by silvalis

Why don't you book an appointment with a bike fitter to give you an opinion? That way, at least the fitter will take into account your actual physical requirements.
Chasse patate

morganb

by morganb

What is your saddle height and setback on your current bike?

dcngr

by dcngr

Thanks guys

I was booked in but the guy cancelled and I need to place the order ASAP. But will try and get an appointment again. The 47 just looks so small. Nairo Quintana’s canyon is similar to the 51 bmc.

saba

by saba

If it's any help, here's a comparison between the 47 and 51 cm frame sizes:

Code: Select all

>>> import bmc
>>> with canvas():
     draw_bike(bmc.teammachine[2018][47])
     draw_bike(bmc.teammachine[2018][51])

silvalis

by silvalis

Your diagram needs more detail.

A feint gridline or a vector for stems with 1cm increment notches or whatever.
Chasse patate

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

dcngr wrote:Thanks guys

I was booked in but the guy cancelled and I need to place the order ASAP. But will try and get an appointment again. The 47 just looks so small. Nairo Quintana’s canyon is similar to the 51 bmc.

Nairo is 170cm.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

TonyM

by TonyM

I am 171 cm and I ride a 51cm BMC Roadmachine (with the low head cone it is similar to the Teammachine). I also tested the 51cm Teammachine which will have fit me.

I suppose you need a 47cm Teammachine.

BTRW Richie Porte is 172cm and rides a 47cm Teammachine.

PinaF8

by PinaF8

You can go either way. With the 47cm maximum saddle height is less than 70cm. If you’re requiring more than that height then 51cm is the way to go. I selected 47cm due to the reach but BMC is sending me a longer seatpost in order to accommodate my saddle height. Good luck!
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

addictR1

by addictR1

I'm 173cm and I ride a 47 TMR02. I tried a 51 and it was too big for my taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

dcngr wrote:Im ordering a bmc teammachine slr 01. Its my first real competitive bike. Can't decide between 47 or 51. Im 166cm tall. Im using the competitive cyclist fit calculator and then using Ridley website for stack and reach. Im border line between the two. I've heard the smaller size could prove to cause neck and shoulder stress and go for the 51 for longer term comfort.

We don't know anything about your riding style, flexibility or body proportions. In general though I'd say if you have longer legs (compared to your total body length) you will probably want to go for the smaller frame size and corresponding shorter reach, while if you have short legs and a longer upper body you will probably want the longer reach of the larger frame size. Of course whether you have T-rex or orangutang arms will also be a factor…

Conza

by Conza

I'm 181cm, 56cm for me BMC Team Machine SLR01 One on the way (usually 54cm in other brands *meant to be), but currently ride a 52cm giant (aggressive drop).
It's all about the adventure :o .

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Advice would be wait and get to see a fitter!
It's a lot of money to spend to end up with the wrong size!

The 47 is proper low on the front, so it's going to be racing style - so any neck/shoulder/arm/back issues/niggles, the 50 will be more comfortable than the 47

Having said all of the above, this is the weight weenies forum! the 47 will be lighter :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcngr

by dcngr

Thanks everyone for your input, its great to get such excellent opinions.

Im hoping to get a fitting next week. Have slightly shorter legs at 74cm inseam.
My current bike setup is;
Seat tube 46.6................bmc 47- 42.3....................bmc 51...46.8
saddle height 66.5..........
top tube 53....................................51.7..................................53.5
head tube 14.5...............................11.3.................................13.3
seat angle 74...................................73.5................................73.5
Head angle 72.................................70.5..................................72
wheelbase 98..................................97.....................................97.5
dont have stack. .............................50.6..................................53
dont have reach ............................36.7..................................37.7
stand over height.............................72.6..................................75.4

based on the stand over height I think it has to be the 47. The 51 is very close to my current bike which is an entry level giant defy by the way which is compact with a sloping top tube. So how do i compare?
I read Nairo was 167cm tall? if the pros ride smaller bikes should we really? I just want to train and love climbs. I dont race but want a race feel.
Hopefully I'll get a clear answer soon with a fitting, its just a lot of money to get ti wrong so i really appreciate your advice.

Thanks
I