K-Edge Garmin Mount - Regular vs XL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I'm new to Garmin Edge 520 after years with SRM PC7. My LBS sold me the XL version of K-Edge mount since they did not have the regular version in stock and said I can exchange it when it comes in next week.

The empty space between the Edge 520 and handlebar looks little weird but quickly I've found the computer is more in the eyesight than it would using a regular mount. I'm now having second thought of switching to regular version. Does anyone here also use XL version with Edge 520? What's your thought of using the combo after a lengthly period of time?

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Another little issue is that a small space makes for poor access to the bottom buttons. My mount has adjustable length and I use it fully extended with 520.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I use the xl for my 520. Think it looks totally normal. Would not want it to go any further towards the bar.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

My wife uses the standard K-Edge, and I think that the 520 benefits from the XL mount, because of the aforementioned button issue. I would keep the XL mount, just for that benefit.

mike001100

by mike001100

I have the short mount since it's more aero and never had an issue with the buttons or the FOV...

5DII

by 5DII

i use the XL for my 500, easier on the eyes since its more forward. also future proof in case i get a larger garmin the future

TonyM

by TonyM

I use the regular K-Edge Garmin Mount with my 820 (same size as the 520).
Last edited by TonyM on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aya

by Aya

I'm using one of normal length mount(though it's not the K-Edge's). and I don't have any problem with button access. but I dislike K-Edge. I heard that some of K-Edge combo mounts were broken while riding bikes. and They didn't specifiy the weight limit for the combo mount on their website. so I inquired about it by e-mail. but they didn't give me any reply. so I bought REC's mount. and I have been using it well about 2 years.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Exactly what broke, and what was hanging on it? The K-Edge mounts are machined aluminum, and pretty strong. I've mounted a Garmin 520 w/ a 1st-gen Virb Elite on my wife's bike, and never had an issue. I would be hard-pressed to believe that a K-Edge combo mount broke from those two, relatively light-weight components were on it.

dim

by dim

I have the xl as I use a Garmin Edge 1000 plus a Garmin Virb Ultra 30 camera

if you don't want to use a bigger screen, or get a front camera, get the smaller version

if you are not sure of what you will use in the future (Garmin 2035 in a few years time)? then get the small one .... these K-Edge are not cheap so choose wisely
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com