Hub recommendation for new wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apctjb

by apctjb

Looking for a new set of wheels; have narrowed it down to far sport and yoeleo. Far sport has a range of hubs to choose from including DT Swiss 350 & 240, ED Hub, Novatec, and White Industries. I was leaning toward the DT Swiss 240's but they are the most expensive and heavier than the other options. Has anyone had experience with ED Hub? I could not find much online about them?

Recommendations??

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

My Farsports on EdHubs (2 sets) are all holding up fine. I greased the freehub pawls to quiet them down because a road bike shouldn't sound like a mountain bike. The EdHubs seem like a great balance of cost and weight. Perhaps the bearings won't last as long as 240s if you ride in rain but just replace them when that day comes with really good bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

apctjb

by apctjb

Thanks for the feedback on EDhubs. Living in CA its not often I ride in the rain :)

The wheels are for a bike I am building for my wife, and she hates noisy hubs when freewheeling. Are the DT 240's allot quieter??

Are you running ceramic bearings in your EDhubs or have you switched the bearings?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

In my experience, DT Swiss hubs w/ the 18t star ratchet are quiet. They aren't Shimano level quiet, but they're quieter than my 404's hubs (188 v9). You can quiet them down further by putting more grease on the star ratchet, but that will eventually work its way out. If you go with the higher tooth count, they get louder.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

It is hard to go wrong with DT 240 hubs. They are expensive, sure, but they do last and they are so robust mechanically and are so easy to service. The ring drive system is a fantastic design. They are not the best in any single category but, overall, they are hard to top.

apctjb

by apctjb

My wife's current bike has dura ace carbon wheels and they are quite.

I have never had problems with hubs or had to service them (I only ride 2-3K miles/year) and would like to keep it that way!

The lightness of the EDhub is tempting, but having hubs that are sure to last is also.

Miller

by Miller

I like Novatec hubs. Nicely designed, pretty light, pretty cheap, good range of options.

spud

by spud

you could also build with DT350s - they are quiet and durable, and not too heavy

TonyM

by TonyM

apctjb wrote:My wife's current bike has dura ace carbon wheels and they are quite.

I have never had problems with hubs or had to service them (I only ride 2-3K miles/year) and would like to keep it that way!

The lightness of the EDhub is tempting, but having hubs that are sure to last is also.

If you are riding only 2-3k per year, you can take any of the hubs above and that's fine.
If you however want to go premium you should go for DT Swiss (or Chris King).

But why don't you take some Zipp, DT Swiss, Enve etc.. in replacement of your Dura Ace wheels?

TonyM

by TonyM

apctjb wrote:Thanks for the feedback on EDhubs. Living in CA its not often I ride in the rain :)

The wheels are for a bike I am building for my wife, and she hates noisy hubs when freewheeling. Are the DT 240's allot quieter??

Are you running ceramic bearings in your EDhubs or have you switched the bearings?

DT Swiss has also SINC ceramic bearings in a top-level low-profile Dicut hub based on 180s :wink:

taztaylortaz

by taztaylortaz

Aside from being manufactured in Asia, how do the DT Swiss 350s differ from the 240s?

TonyM

by TonyM

taztaylortaz wrote:Aside from being manufactured in Asia, how do the DT Swiss 350s differ from the 240s?

A little heavier (approx. 50g per hub) and I think it comes with a 18T star ratchet. But you can upgrade to 36T (like in the 240s) anyway.
Not sure about the quality of the hub, bearings etc....but I suppose it is not a big difference with the 240s if you bike only 2-3k per year like the OP.

apctjb

by apctjb

Farsport is having a Black Friday special so pulled the trigger and ordered the wheels earlier than I was thinking. Based on the feedback received and doing some research decided to try the EDhub; a.k.a Bitex RAL-9. This shaved 60 grams and $250 bucks of the wheelset compared to the DT-240's, plus they are available in red !

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

I'll second the DTSwiss DT350. Apparently the internals are exactly the same design as the 240's (which I loved), just that the 350's are made in the Far East as opposed to in the EU.

TonyM

by TonyM

r_mutt wrote:I'll second the DTSwiss DT350. Apparently the internals are exactly the same design as the 240's (which I loved), just that the 350's are made in the Far East as opposed to in the EU.

The 350s are a little heavier (approx. 50g per hub) and I think they comes with a 18T star ratchet (instead of the 36T on the 240s). The upgrade is easy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com