Suggestions for weight reduction Emonda SLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apctjb

by apctjb

Just picked up a second hand Emonda SLR; size 56 with full Dura Ace (mechanical) and Enve 25's/Chris King hubs. It weighs in at 14.7 lbs complete (w pedals).

Trek advertises the SLR-9 (Dura Ace Di2) at 13.5 lbs. So what changes can I make to mine that will bring the total weight to <14lbs??

I don't want to switch the wheelset (too much money) but everything is fair game. Suggestions on how to shave 3/4 lbs? (Other than me losing weight which I am working on :)

Thx

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

So I had a 2016 matte blue SLR and it was just shy of 13lbs with pedals, cages, and a computer. My build was eTap and I had alloy clinchers so you can definitely do something about this.

Start by evaluating the weight of your saddle, bar, stem, tires, tubes and groupset. From there decide what’s going to make the biggest impact by comparing to the options in market.

If yours isn’t a vaypor color, it may be a heavier frame to start with and I wouldn’t trust the weights on the Trek site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

Trek's weight is without pedals.

BikeKingV1r

by BikeKingV1r

Yup post a list of parts or some pictures so folks can see what’s what and offer suggestions

Rodigan

by Rodigan

I have an Emonda SL and I'm planning to save weight with a Berk Lupina saddle and carbon bar.

Would love one of these though!

http://shrani.si/f/3E/O1/2c4E5KR0/14902 ... 775115.jpg

apctjb

by apctjb

Yup post a list of parts or some pictures so folks can see what’s what and offer suggestions

Emonda SLR H2 56 frame. Enve 25's with Chris King hubs, Bontrager XXX stem, XLR bars, and seatpost. Dura Ace 9100 mechanical groupset. Fizik Antares saddle. Conti 4000 tires.

Seat is probably the first place to start.
Attachments
emonda.jpg

junchen

by junchen

Ur Antares saddle has kium or manganese rails. Can get the carbon braided option, or if the selle italia slr fits, it's cheaper / g. I have the Antares vs, carbon braided, weighs about 180g. The Antares vs with manganese rails is 220g. Selle italia slr can be found at 130-150g range, even with ti rails.

Bars - not sure if you already have carbon bars but u can find carbon bars in the 190-200g range. Brand x has carbon bars for promo at crc currently for about 75 usd.

Brakes - DA brakes is about 300g. I probably wouldn't touch it unless u want to go ee brakes (expensive)

Stem : ww fave kalloy uno 100mm for about 110g. 30 usd from eBay.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I would do the following:

- trading cassette, shifters, FD, and RD for some RED22 bits
- upgrade to EE brakes, Berk or Bontrager XXX saddle and as mentioned above, a kalloy stem
- sell those wheels and get something lighter that brakes better like Tune hubs with Stan's alpha 340's

For a weight weenie build, your setup has a few non WW friendly components like the Chris King hubs, ENVE 25 clincher rims, that saddle, DA crank, DA brakes.
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

apctjb

by apctjb

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding wheelset what weight should I be looking to achieve with a non aero wheel and 23-25mm wide rims? I thought the Enves were considered light, but I am a new to WW.

Same question for the saddle, what weight should I benchmark against for a saddle that is comfortable enough to ride 60 miles but still considered "light"

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Saddle, stem, brakes.

For saddle, the options listed above are pretty good places to start.

For stem, that Bontrager unit, although nice, is heavy. There are definitely lighter stems out there (alloy and carbon).

Brakes: EE, as mentioned, or look at the Bontrager Speed Stops (1st and the lighter, 2nd generation units). I've seen some of the 1st gen brakes go on eBay for a decent price (definitely cheaper than EE).

As for seat mast topper, you're pretty much stuck. Someone did post a threat a couple of years back about modifying the Trek seat mast topper, but there's nothing off-the-shelf that will help you lose more than a couple of grams, tops. Even the SLR seat mast topper was only 9g, and that was only available on the first-gen SLR-10 and by ordering it from a shop.

hannawald

by hannawald

if you have clinchers, look at the tubes. probably the cheapest possible upgrade to some lightweight 60g tubes (oem tubes can be around 100g).
What about qr skewers?
saddle with carbon rails, carbon bars, lighter stem, maybe bar tape..

Imaking20

by Imaking20

+1 for tubes
Skewers (tons of options around 45g)
Saddle - Berk List (105g)
Stem - Kalloy Uno (105-115g depending on length and upgrading to ti bolts)
Expander - Extralite Ultrastar 3 (6g)
Crank - THM (<500g complete)
Brakes - EE (162g)

I would go in that order and potentially not even swap the brakes. DA9000 brakes are very, very good. You'll get most of the weight savings you're after from the skewers, saddle, and stem - which also happen to be the cheapest options on the list. If you're lucky, you can find a used THM crank for about the same price as new EE brakes - and you're likely to save more weight from the crank.

apctjb

by apctjb

Great list to work from.

Will also consider wheels as suggested, although I don't know what the Enve's 25 weight and how much could be gained.

What is an Expander??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

apctjb wrote:Great list to work from.

Will also consider wheels as suggested, although I don't know what the Enve's 25 weight and how much could be gained.

What is an Expander??

It's what the steerer cap uses to preload the headset onto the fork crown. It sits inside the fork steerer tube and should be around the area where your stem clamps around the steerer.

ENVE 25 clincher rims are approximately 405gr each and is only 22mm wide. You're not going to get much that's lighter in alloy form but the braking performance would be better and the CK hubs are really where you're giving up a few grams in the wheelset. A good lightweight saddle is sub 100gr. As some have suggested, the skewers are an option and personally speaking, I haven't had much luck with ultra light skewers, they just don't clamp well enough for my liking but I've found the Zipp ti skewers to be a good compromise and they weigh less than 50gr for the pair.
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg