PPF Paint Protection film for a frame. Anyone done it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Most high end cars ($150K +) many owners have the front if not the whole car PPF wrapped.
I recently had my paint on my custom frame have a couple of scratches, nicks etc. The blemish on the frame is bugging me every time i see it. Yes I can send the frame back to get repainted in that area, but that is a huge cost and inconvenience.
I am thinking of any future high end bike, getting the frame wrapped in clear PPF.
I know this is a WW forum, but for me, a 100, or 200 gram penalty for having peace of mind not having stone chips, scratches on a frame is worth it.

Yes high end bikes do depreciate much faster than high end cars (G3RS for example) but this is not looking at it as a resale thing, more so knowing your high end frame is protected.
Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Infin1ty

by Infin1ty

toronto-rider wrote:Most high end cars ($150K +) many owners have the front if not the whole car PPF wrapped.
I recently had my paint on my custom frame have a couple of scratches, nicks etc. The blemish on the frame is bugging me every time i see it. Yes I can send the frame back to get repainted in that area, but that is a huge cost and inconvenience.
I am thinking of any future high end bike, getting the frame wrapped in clear PPF.
I know this is a WW forum, but for me, a 100, or 200 gram penalty for having peace of mind not having stone chips, scratches on a frame is worth it.

Yes high end bikes do depreciate much faster than high end cars (G3RS for example) but this is not looking at it as a resale thing, more so knowing your high end frame is protected.
Thoughts?

Invisiframe have some high quality 3M wraps, if your bike is on their list you are very lucky, if not and you have extra time to cut their "generic" frame wraps then go for it, they are very high quality.

by 11.4

The best quality material is called helicopter tape, made for preventing nicks on helicopter blades. It's inexpensive and very good, and wide enough for any use on a bike.

SampsC50

by SampsC50

Bought some clear film from the bay and put on the downtube and some on my refrigerator to prevent from scratches from the vacuum cleaner. Works perfectly. Does only add 10-20 grams to the frame.
Trek Madone 9 Project One
Colnago C50 PR11

Ex: Eddie Merckx EMX-7, Colnago Master, Rose Pro SL Carbon

apctjb

by apctjb

I bought 3M sheet and cut it to fit my Colnago C-50. That was 10 years ago! Tape is still in place and the frame does not have a scratch on it. Just got a new Emonda and going to do the same. Inexpensive protection for expensive toys...

beanbiken

by beanbiken

There is also Frameskin in Australia, does custom cut kits & generic. I’ve used his kits on all my bikes, excellent quality and as you say a few grams for som peace of mind is cheap.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

shivatron

by shivatron

I've done it lots -- using both helicopter tape (in particular, the ISC brand) and actual PPF made for automotive applications (Xpel). I've found helicopter tape easier to purchase and easier to install: you can buy it on Amazon, and the stock widths conform well to bicycle tubing.

There are three areas I wrap on any new bike: the top, inside, and bottom of the DS chainstay to prevent scratches from the chain when removing and installing wheels; around the DS of the BB shell to keep a dropped chain from chewing up the paint (getting this right takes some practice!); and the outside of both crankarms to prevent heel rub. I will also generally cut smaller protectors where cable housing or hose rub against the frame.

On my MTB and CX bikes I also wrap the underside of the downtube from the fork to the BB, as well as the inside of the fork crown and chainstay bridge.

Overkill? Probably. That said, it keeps my bikes looking new, which improves my state of mind if nothing else...

stormur

by stormur

Bike Shield. Stuff made in Sweden. Look good, works good. Mega pack cost about 35€ ; for one bike to wrap it ...basically all over :)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Thanks for all the responses. I thought I was a freak for thinking about it.

c60rider

by c60rider

I bought a roll of Auto Protek Rolls Royce and made paper templates, then cut out the correct size and wrapped the main areas of my C60 which was the complete chainstay, the whole length behind the seat tube and similarly under the down tube. Then also cut a piece for under the fork bridge. In 12 months they haven't moved and unless you look really closely and look for it you can't even see it.

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

Yep. 3m tape for me on both my bikes on vulnerable areas. Cut it. Windex the film and the bike. Slide into place and you’re done. Very easy.

AJS914

by AJS914

toronto-rider wrote:I am thinking of any future high end bike, getting the frame wrapped in clear PPF.

I wouldn't wrap my whole high end bike in PPF. It will look like it's been dipped in plastic. What's the point of having a nice paint job if you can only enjoy it under plastic? It's like having plastic covers on a cover to protect it.

nickf

by nickf

The newer films are really hard to spot. Does not look like you are looking through plastic. I have a incoming frame and plan on wrapping the TT, chainstays, under side of the downtube, and under the fork crown.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com