Trek Emonda SLR 2018 Rim Brake Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

So the brief for this bike is:

Solid, stable "Super Grands-Fondo machine". As I'm (only just) a Clydesdale, I made some concessions to weight, for cost and practicality (though only in so much as a second bottle would add). Hence Ultegra R8000, Fulcrum Quattro Carbons and alloy finishing kit.

The bike still is bang-on 7kg, so even a half-arsed weight-weenie version would be early 6's. if not pushing 5's with carbon tubs and carbon cockpit.

I have MANY physical injuries, from active military service, so please allow me the headset spacers, soft bar tape and some easy gears :thumbup:

Specs:
Emonda SLR 2018 frameset (56cm, H2) Off-the-shelf frameset.
Ultegra R8050 Groupset: 172.5mm cranks, 50/34, 11-30, custom internal frame and bar wiring, internal D-Fly (W111),
Fulcrum Quattro Carbon wheelset,
GP4000SII 28mm tyres,
Bontrager Montrose Pro titanium saddle,
Bontrager Pro 100mm stem,
Bontrager RL Aero bars (44mm)
Bontrager supertack bar tape
Bontrager RL cages
Ultegra 6800 pedals (not broken, dont fix it!)

Tyre clearance is 4mm each side, 5mm top. Tyres are monster-truck big at 31mm. The Emonda swallows them up.

(and before anyone asks, I built this myself, and I'm happy to pass on build tips for the Di2 wiring to anyone)

BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Waiting on a Stages left arm to come in. then, finished.

Lots of discussion here about ride quality and specs etc:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147930
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Nice. Looks clean and purpose built. Enjoy it!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

wheelbuilder wrote:Nice. Looks clean and purpose built. Enjoy it!

Thanks! :thumbup:
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

jwalther

by jwalther

Nice. Love my SLR.
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Beautiful bike! I really like what they've done with the Emonda SLR. Trek makes some hot product, in my opinion.

I've mentioned this before-- I'm going to do a Project One disc bike build for next spring and I'm still trying to decide between Emonda SLR and Domane SLR. For now I'm stuck between the two. It will mainly come down to style and which direction I want to go. I appreciate your report that you can fit a true width 31 mm tire on there. Good to know that it has this versatility.

I've followed your build with interest and think your bike is amazing. Excellent choice. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing!

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

I have both an Emonda and Domane SLR. Both very different bikes choose wisely

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ClydesdaleChris wrote:Image

Isn't that seatmast coming dangerously close to the end of the frame tube? Just how much overalap is underneath? That looks like it's the short seatmast, correct? If I were you, I'd seriously consider getting the 175mm seat mast. The SLR's do not have a lot of excess material, anywhere, to withstand marginal support where needed, and that seatmast/frame interface is certainly an area I wouldn't be taking chances with. Plus, I think the longer seatmast would look better as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

SilentDrone wrote:Beautiful bike! I really like what they've done with the Emonda SLR. Trek makes some hot product, in my opinion.

I've mentioned this before-- I'm going to do a Project One disc bike build for next spring and I'm still trying to decide between Emonda SLR and Domane SLR. For now I'm stuck between the two. It will mainly come down to style and which direction I want to go. I appreciate your report that you can fit a true width 31 mm tire on there. Good to know that it has this versatility.

I've followed your build with interest and think your bike is amazing. Excellent choice. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing!

I have come from a Domane 2014 6 Series Project One (600/700 Carbon mix) , and to be honest, the biggest factor is cadence.

If you like to spin, at >90rpm, you need to look away from the Domane. You will bob, unless you set the seat slider to the hardest setting. So then the Emonda has the same amount of seat tube flex as the current SLR Domane in that setting. I have found I can drive the flats and climb far better on this than I ever could on the Domane. While the comfort of the Domane was superb, the 31mm wide GP4K “28’s” have made this bike a far better proposition. That is, unless you want the front isozone (I never had this on mine). If you want ultimate comfort, get the Domane. If you have even a slight desire to work in the hills or drive hard, get the Emonda. I have massive spinal and shoulder injuries and the Emonda works for me just as well as my old Domane.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Calnago wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:Image

Isn't that seatmast coming dangerously close to the end of the frame tube? Just how much overalap is underneath? That looks like it's the short seatmast, correct? If I were you, I'd seriously consider getting the 175mm seat mast. The SLR's do not have a lot of excess material, anywhere, to withstand marginal support where needed, and that seatmast/frame interface is certainly an area I wouldn't be taking chances with. Plus, I think the longer seatmast would look better as well.

I can always rely on the Uber-stylist in @calnago!

There’s about 40-50mm of seatpost overlap before the limits are met, it’s only just past the halfway line. I was actually thinking the same thing, going to the longer seat mast. This one was the carry over from the Domane, and the Emonda has even more top tube drop that it had, hence the stupid-tall looking seat tube. I wonder if it will affect the bump compliance?

Ok, you’ve talked me into it :thumbup: might go back to a 5mm offset too.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

springs

by springs

ClydesdaleChris wrote:If you have even a slight desire to work in the hills or drive hard, get the Emonda. I have massive spinal and shoulder injuries and the Emonda works for me just as well as my old Domane.

Great post and very helpful as I ponder the the Emonda vs Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.

RussellS

by RussellS

ClydesdaleChris wrote:might go back to a 5mm offset too.

Might as well since the pictures show you have the saddle slammed as far forward on the rails as possible. With a straight up post you would have some room behind and under the saddle and better fit a saddlebag.

SMITHERS

by SMITHERS

ClydesdaleChris,

Thanks for posting your build. Enjoy it!

Thank you for your service!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
Calnago wrote:Isn't that seatmast coming dangerously close to the end of the frame tube? Just how much overalap is underneath?

There’s about 40-50mm of seatpost overlap before the limits are met, it’s only just past the halfway line. I was actually thinking the same thing, going to the longer seat mast. This one was the carry over from the Domane, and the Emonda has even more top tube drop that it had, hence the stupid-tall looking seat tube. I wonder if it will affect the bump compliance?

Ok, you’ve talked me into it :thumbup: might go back to a 5mm offset too.

Ok, my mistake then. As long as it’s covering the minimum insertion line you’re good. From the pic it looked to me like it might not have been.
Great bike.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Nicely executed. My only gripe is Shimano should clean up the climbing shifter. It's so big and awkward looking and using zip ties to attach it....
With all the little tweeks they did to Di2 in the recent Dura-ace/Ultegra update I can't believe they didn't improve the climbing shifter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com