Trek Emonda SLR 2018 Rim Brake Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1833
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

jzinckgra wrote:Trying to decide between emonda and TCR Advanced. May not be able to test ride either one. Which would you choose?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk


You can get the Emonda in H1. That might be the decisive factor if you want to go for a racing position.

by Weenie


TobinHatesYou
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

H2 is still pretty racy. If you look at all the bikes raced in the world tour, the H1 Treks are tied for most aggressive with the Argon Dix-Huit Gallium Pro while the H2s are ever so slightly more relaxed than the most relaxed geometries.

morganb
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

by morganb

TobinHatesYou wrote:H2 is still pretty racy. If you look at all the bikes raced in the world tour, the H1 Treks are tied for most aggressive with the Argon Dix-Huit Gallium Pro while the H2s are ever so slightly more relaxed than the most relaxed geometries.

H2 Emonda is the same geo as a previous gen Roubaix in my size. That's super relaxed to me. I couldn't replicate my position from a Tarmac even with a -17 stem on one.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

An SL4 Roubaix in size 54cm has a stack/reach of 564/380mm. A 56cm is 590/387mm. The Emonda in 54cm is 555/381mm and the 56cm is 577/387mm. The SL6 Tarmac in 54cm is 544/384mm and the 56cm is 565/395mm.

Some additional stats for bikes around my size (54cm) I compiled while bike shopping...

Code: Select all

55.5cm stack, 38.1cm reach - Trek Emonda SLR H2

55.1cm stack, 38.7cm reach - Cannondale SuperSix Evo
55.0cm stack, 38.6cm reach - BMC Teammachine SLR01
55.0cm stack, 38.6cm reach - Pinarello Dogma F10
54.8cm stack, 38.9cm reach - Scott Addict SL
54.8cm stack, 38.3cm reach - Lapierre Xelius SL
54.8cm stack, 38.0cm reach - Cervélo R5
54.7cm stack, 38.4cm reach - (55cm trad.) Colnago C60
54.6cm stack, 38.5cm reach - Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
54.5cm stack, 38.8cm reach - (55cm) Bianchi Specialissima
54.5cm stack, 38.3cm reach - Giant TCR Advanced SL
54.4cm stack, 38.4cm reach - S-Works Tarmac
54.3cm stack, 38.8cm reach - (52cm) Merida Scultura
54.2cm stack, 38.4cm reach - Ridley Helium SLX
54.2cm stack, 38.4cm reach - Factor O2

52.6cm stack, 39.0cm reach - Trek Emonda SLR H1

52.0cm stack, 39.0cm reach - Argon 18 Gallium Pro (!!!)


4mm difference in stack compared to a SuperSix Evo. 5mm compared to the new Teammachine and Dogma F10.

DDX
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:25 am

by DDX

TobinHatesYou wrote:Is that a 2018 SL or an older SLR?


older SLR

morganb
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

by morganb

TobinHatesYou wrote:An SL4 Roubaix in size 54cm has a stack/reach of 564/380mm. A 56cm is 590/387mm. The Emonda in 54cm is 555/381mm and the 56cm is 577/387mm. The SL6 Tarmac in 54cm is 544/384mm and the 56cm is 565/395mm.

Some additional stats for bikes around my size (54cm) I compiled while bike shopping...

Code: Select all

55.5cm stack, 38.1cm reach - Trek Emonda SLR H2

55.1cm stack, 38.7cm reach - Cannondale SuperSix Evo
55.0cm stack, 38.6cm reach - BMC Teammachine SLR01
55.0cm stack, 38.6cm reach - Pinarello Dogma F10
54.8cm stack, 38.9cm reach - Scott Addict SL
54.8cm stack, 38.3cm reach - Lapierre Xelius SL
54.8cm stack, 38.0cm reach - Cervélo R5
54.7cm stack, 38.4cm reach - (55cm trad.) Colnago C60
54.6cm stack, 38.5cm reach - Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
54.5cm stack, 38.8cm reach - (55cm) Bianchi Specialissima
54.5cm stack, 38.3cm reach - Giant TCR Advanced SL
54.4cm stack, 38.4cm reach - S-Works Tarmac
54.3cm stack, 38.8cm reach - (52cm) Merida Scultura
54.2cm stack, 38.4cm reach - Ridley Helium SLX
54.2cm stack, 38.4cm reach - Factor O2

52.6cm stack, 39.0cm reach - Trek Emonda SLR H1

52.0cm stack, 39.0cm reach - Argon 18 Gallium Pro (!!!)


4mm difference in stack compared to a SuperSix Evo. 5mm compared to the new Teammachine and Dogma F10.

When you get down to the smaller sizes the changes in stack are more dramatic. 52 there is 2cm difference in stack, even more when you go down to a 49cm. I didn't realize that they were so much closer on the bigger bikes.

springs
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 pm

by springs

ClydesdaleChris, did you weigh your frame before building? Curious to know how much the paint added.

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

springs wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:52 am
ClydesdaleChris, did you weigh your frame before building? Curious to know how much the paint added.
G’day, 708g frame and 300g fork. Shown on the scales in the original pics.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

Aya
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 am

by Aya

Looks good, very tidy build.
I used to ride Domane several years ago. I think Trek makes really good bikes.
I haven't own a Emonda. but It seems that 2018's Emonda SLR has a lttle bit different shape from 2017's, though they have the same geometry value on the spec sheet. Is it Right?

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

Aya wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:11 pm
Looks good, very tidy build.
I used to ride Domane several years ago. I think Trek makes really good bikes.
I haven't own a Emonda. but It seems that 2018's Emonda SLR has a lttle bit different shape from 2017's, though they have the same geometry value on the spec sheet. Is it Right?
Yes mate, the 2018 has had a lot of work done to it. Lovely to ride.

It now currently wears Fulcrum Racing Zero competizione wheels, due to my ongoing, and rather one-sided, battle with the laws of physics and thermodynamics. I will go back to Carbons when: a) I’m under 90kg, and b) I can stick my hand in the air for a spare wheel and be confident one who dresses the same as me will leap out of a car and hand me a new one.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

So 5000km has passed, and I thought I’d post an update. Bike has been added to with an Infocrank and some different wheels. Locally-made 50mm Carbon clincher Spitfire wheels with 240 hubs 20/28 combo) with a 12-25 cassette for Crit Racing, and a set of Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione C17 wheels with an 11-30 cassette for training and general riding.

The bike has travelled across the country 3 times, won 2 races, also placed twice, and still hauls my ass around at warp speed. Cornering and descending is a delight. Sprinting it seems to take all I can give it without doing weird shit.

All in all, very, very impressed.

Image

Image


And with training wheels:

Image
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

User avatar
Lelandjt
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:10 am

by Lelandjt

This is the H2 headtube?

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 957
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Lelandjt wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 pm
This is the H2 headtube?
Yes.

ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:22 pm
Lelandjt wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 pm
This is the H2 headtube?
Yes.
With 15mm of spacers, and a saddle height of 742mm, I get 75mm saddle to bar drop. It looks like a lot less, but the frame has quite a significant slope. Different angles are better, but I was washing the bike and that’s that.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

by Weenie


ClydesdaleChris
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

by ClydesdaleChris

This one is a bit more of a better angle.

PS: 6.98kg as seen.

Image
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post