lightest PM + crank option?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

since this is WW forum.. i'm wondering what would be the lightest combo for lightest PM + crank option?

currently, particularlly i'm running with Rotor QXL 52/36t ring with 2012 RED crank arms (GXP) and Stages Rival PM.

looking for a lighter and better PM solution. thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KHo

by KHo

upgrade to stages carbon one?

have quarq & stages at the moment, prefer the quarq though

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

not much point in having the lightest PM if it doesn't work that well..

the SRM origin and the the THM SRM are the lightest of the 'no problem' PM's
i personally have quarqs on my bikes and they are great and only a little heavier

ddsg

by ddsg

Are you stuck with GXP? Lightest dual sided PM would probably be an SiSL2 with Watteam PowerBeat.

evan326

by evan326

4iiii added 8.4g to my hollowgram crank.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

https://www.eastoncycling.com/products/ ... ower-meter

The EC90 SL is essentially a BB386 platform, it can and will adapt to anything
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I like the look of the Easton crank but the proprietary rings and 386 spindle don't make for the lightest setup. Considering the exogram crank can do ~480g with mass produced compact rings and the Stages PM adds ~20g. That's hard to beat and Hollowgram SL isn't far behind.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Imaking20 wrote:Considering the exogram crank can do ~480g with mass produced compact rings and the Stages PM adds ~20g.

That's BB30 version with built in short aluminum spindle. Of course it'll be light. GXP version of non-power meter Sram Red Exogram crankset weight considerably more. So if it fit your frame (fit everything that is not BB86, BB90 with the right adapter as far as i know). It's hand down the lightest non exotic crank set up.

With stages carbon set-up, they actually use FSA carbon left arms pair with FSA produced spindle to mate with Sram Red BB30 right side. Both FSA spindle and left arms are heavier than Sram's own left arm+integrated spindle combo. So the weight increase is not only 20 grams here.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm not even sure why you typed those first two sentences.

The GXP version isn't giving up as much weight as you're assuming:

Say the FSA carbon arm is an additional 20g that still puts you 6g ahead of the claimed 655g for the Cinch.

Knowing what frame the PM has to fit on would help a bit. There are a number of conversion BBs at this point to open up crank options. A Dura Ace 172.5 52/36 crank is 629g, again Stages as an option with an addition of 20g for a total weight of ~10g lighter than claimed weight for Cinch. If the BB is threaded, you can snag a THM, Yuniper, or Rotor conversion and run a BB30A/BB386 crank like Hollowgram (or THM - but the PM options are spendy)

addictR1

by addictR1

Currently with my setup I can just switch he stages arm from one bike to the next. So I like the current setup. Just recently my stages battery drains like crazy and since it out of warranty I'm kinda stuck. My frames are addict r1 and Tmr02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Imaking20 wrote:I'm not even sure why you typed those first two sentences.

The GXP version isn't giving up as much weight as you're assuming:

Say the FSA carbon arm is an additional 20g that still puts you 6g ahead of the claimed 655g for the Cinch.

Knowing what frame the PM has to fit on would help a bit. There are a number of conversion BBs at this point to open up crank options. A Dura Ace 172.5 52/36 crank is 629g, again Stages as an option with an addition of 20g for a total weight of ~10g lighter than claimed weight for Cinch. If the BB is threaded, you can snag a THM, Yuniper, or Rotor conversion and run a BB30A/BB386 crank like Hollowgram (or THM - but the PM options are spendy)

because i had both version.
Sram Red Exogram BB30 110bcd 165mm with bolts but without chainrings are less than 350g, with Sram Red chainring both combined to around 520g, with lighter chainring the crank with rings are less than 500g. 130bcd actually save weight because it reduce both chainring's weight down while adding very few grams (less than 10g) to right arm. Lets simply compare 520g (110bcd stock chainring) with your GXP, 601g. That is 80 grams difference already.

When you type 480g i assume it's the weight WITH chainrings on which is only possible with BB30 version and quite light chainring (doesn't have to be lightest). I didn't know you want to talk about GXP without rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

If you consider every factor including cost, durability and reliability Easton is the mix.. while Cinch is "proprietary" most of the big chainring manufacturers make Cinch rings. I'm evn 80% sure I have seen Ti Cinch rings.

There are big tradeoffs with all power meters and all light weight cranks, so you are going to have issues trying to get the lightest of both together.

C