Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am 

Anyone using these brakes with 25mm? I have just finished my bike (introduced in another topic) but I think that the brake clearance is really not optimal.
The first set of wheels I tried had 23mm rim width with Conti Sprinters 25mm. Tubular was near touching the brakes at the front. Decided to change the setup including the supplied washers/spacers. Better result but, the calipers were opened at it maximum.
The wheel builders are friends of mine, so they provided me a 25mm rim to try with the 25mm tubular. A bit better.. but I (and my mechanic) assume that I would need to change immediatly the braking pads when they are at 50 or 60% for not taking risks.
Today we will try 25mm rim with 22mm tubular (does it make sense?) to check the clearance.

How was your experience?

picture 25mm rim with 25mm tubular

Last edited by TheBlackPath on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 pm 

The difficulty with tires and tubulars is that once at 9 bars on the wheels and depending on the brand and the product they all have a different shape !
I have tested an Hutchinson 28mm tire on GSL micro and it worked well from 0 to 60% of pad use.
But it does not means that all 24-25mm tires and tubulars will work good. I think the majority of 24-25mm tires and tubulars will be OK with GSL micro, but not all of them.

I know that Ted will take that in consideration for the next brakes. For now, GSL micro are very close to the frame, they affect lightly the air flow compared with groupset brakes, and of course they are at almost half of the weight of Dura Ace. Once the installation with the good components is done, they are true racing brakes with no compromise in terms of performance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm 

Thanks! Actually these brakes were bought at Velo Perso ;)

What is your opinion on 23mm tubular on 25mm rim? To be on the safe side I am willing to go on that direction.. or sell the brakes :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:53 pm 

TheBlackPath wrote:

What is your opinion on 23mm tubular on 25mm rim? To be on the safe side I am willing to go on that direction.. or sell the brakes :(

Well, to be honest I cannot compare 23 and 25mm tubulars in terms of performance as I have only ridden 23mm tubulars on my Zipp 404 (25,6mm width).

My feedback is just that on safety I have never met any issue, even on Elite road races (I used to mount corsa cx and other Hutchinson tubulars, all 23mm). Comfort was good and i used to prefer a lighter 23mm tubular than a 25mm tubular which is heavier in terms of accelerations.
I would not ride 21 or 22mm tubular wheels, for sure.
Then I'm now using the Vittoria Graphene tubular with a 23mm width. It's better than the corsa cx, for sure, and rolling resistance looks super low at race speeds. I find some of the advantages of 25mm tires on this tubular.
The other option could be a 23mm continental tubular, as I love the tires for their performances.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:39 pm 

I have micro gsl's on a C40, and just installed Veloflex Roubaix on Lightweights. I have a metric crapload more clearance than pictured. I do have to open the quick release (stupid stiff they are) to easily remove/insert tire.

Comming off veloflex records the ride is much nicer but the immediate response feeling is lessened. Probably not a performance thing, just sensation. Great tires in terms of roll and grip.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:39 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 am 

lewolive wrote:
TheBlackPath wrote:

Well, to be honest I cannot compare 23 and 25mm tubulars in terms of performance as I have only ridden 23mm tubulars on my Zipp 404 (25,6mm width).

My feedback is just that on safety I have never met any issue, even on Elite road races (I used to mount corsa cx and other Hutchinson tubulars, all 23mm). Comfort was good and i used to prefer a lighter 23mm tubular than a 25mm tubular which is heavier in terms of accelerations.
I would not ride 21 or 22mm tubular wheels, for sure.
Then I'm now using the Vittoria Graphene tubular with a 23mm width. It's better than the corsa cx, for sure, and rolling resistance looks super low at race speeds. I find some of the advantages of 25mm tires on this tubular.
The other option could be a 23mm continental tubular, as I love the tires for their performances.

Thanks.. it looks like this is the only option to make it work.

It could maybe work with the 0.7 and 1mm washers, which unfortunately are not included in the pack (for my surprise given the limitations of those brakes). And unfortunately, part II, not even to buy actually..

When will these parts become available again?
Ciamillo double sided spherical washers for padholders (Size 1mm and 0.7mm)

I am pretty much disappointed it is advertised as:

-Compatible with rims between 18-28mm

-Compatible with tires upon 28mm

So a 25mm rim with a 25mm tubular should not be a big deal.