THM Clavicula SE BB86 questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KaneChang

by KaneChang

Hello Guys, i got a THM Clavicula SE crank, and my frame is BB86 type(41mm), i see THM have a special 4130BB, but it is not a lightweight type...

if looking for lightweight and strong BB, the ceramicspeed should be a good choose, but i don’t know it can be fit to THM Clavicula SE crank? have anyone tryed this combo?

Thanks first, regards :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

not sure if you're going to save huge amounts of grams going to the CS BB.never had any issues with a THM BB. easy to install and replace pressed in bearings.

but if you go with CS...its a 30mm spindle 68mm width BB shell.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

KaneChang

by KaneChang

kode54 wrote:not sure if you're going to save huge amounts of grams going to the CS BB.never had any issues with a THM BB. easy to install and replace pressed in bearings.

but if you go with CS...its a 30mm spindle 68mm width BB shell.

Thanks for reply :thumbup:

THM 4130BB is approx 80g, CS 4130BB is approx 60g, maybe not a huge different :smartass:

kode54

by kode54

there's a thread on ceramic speed bearings versus other types of BB bearings...not huge difference, only in price. you can probably save more weight elsewhere for less money. just saying.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

KaneChang

by KaneChang

Actually i only afraid the fitting issue for use CS BB, because THM tech department told me use THM BB will ensure perfect fitting.

kode54

by kode54

i've fitted the THM Clavicula SE with other 30mm BB with no problem.

i've swapped the cranks with other bikes all fitted with 30mm bearings with 68mm BB shells.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

oh...just to mention...the 6806 RS bearings is what's in the THM BB...and the same size in the CS BB as well. difference being, one is ceramic bearings while the other is steel. the spindle tolerance is to the 6806 bearing and less so to the BB housing.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RussellS

by RussellS

Based on the preceding post, it seems that you could buy the THM bottom bracket, and then if/when it wears out, you could put in the ceramic ball bearings just like the Ceramic Speed unit. Guessing the ball bearings is where the weight savings comes from in these bottom brackets. Not the cups, housings. Don't know if it would be worth the trouble or not.

KCookie

by KCookie

For my THM crank I have a AITA ceramic BB 41-30, good price and weighs 66g.

KaneChang

by KaneChang

Thanks Guys, so THM & CS all are same bearing size for 4130 BB? and fitting all is good?

This is great information for me, many thanks :beerchug:

KaneChang

by KaneChang

KCookie wrote:For my THM crank I have a AITA ceramic BB 41-30, good price and weighs 66g.

That’s looking good, and light :thumbup:

KCookie

by KCookie

Great company to deal with, answer emails very quickly and was received within 2 days of being posted. Well worth buying one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KaneChang

by KaneChang

Hi Guys, I have compiled some PF4130BB information, the weight all about 60 to 80g.

ROTOR 4130: 66~68g (Ceramic & Steel)
Hope 4130:71g (Steel)
Easton 4130:66g (Steel)
CeramicSpeed 4130:60g (Ceramic)
B.O.R 4130:71g (Steel, look like THM...)
AITA 4130:66g (Ceramic)

I will consider to get a AITA or CS :thumbup:

KCookie

by KCookie

I thought Ceramicspeed was heavier, is the 60g just for the bearings and not the sleeve included, a lot more expensive to, but both great products either way. My THM BB that came out was 89g. Good luck choosing.

kode54

by kode54

RussellS wrote:Based on the preceding post, it seems that you could buy the THM bottom bracket, and then if/when it wears out, you could put in the ceramic ball bearings just like the Ceramic Speed unit. Guessing the ball bearings is where the weight savings comes from in these bottom brackets. Not the cups, housings. Don't know if it would be worth the trouble or not.

yes, i replace the bearings and use the Enduro Bearing Press to extract the bearings and press in new ones. i've used ceramic bearings i bought off of ebay, like the Enduro ceramic hybrid bearings. don't know about the wights, but probably marginal at best. either way, the THM BB housing shells are pretty decent.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com