Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Next Generation Venge
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:52 am
Posts: 1
It is slowly but surely coming to a point where the Venge Vias will go through a mahout redesign. What would you suggest will feature on this new platform?

I would wager:

- lighter (especially cockpit)
- 12r
- Denk engineered (Denk joined late 2014 and his influence on the Vias must have been limited)
- Disc only
- UL version like for Tarmac
- Please keep the Chameleon Purple!!!

Besides, who would like to see a 1x option? Since this is a very much a One trick pony and seeing how the Tarmac has also become more Aero, wouldn't it make some sense (and score nicely weight-wise)?

Share your thoughts/wishes/...


Top
   
 Post subject: Next Generation Venge
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 pm
Posts: 227
Will definitely be disc only. Wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping an eye on the 3T with regarding going 1x only, can see it happening.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 3
Broady wrote:
Will definitely be disc only. Wouldn't be surprised if they're keeping an eye on the 3T with regarding going 1x only, can see it happening.


I agree. Current Venge already has official clearance for 28mm tire, so not a far cry to match the Strada 30mm clearance... Will be a very potent bike for sure!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:30 pm
Posts: 33
If they're going to do disc only, I hope they put the same level of detail into optimizing the frame/fork to limit the aero penalty as Scott did on the new Foil


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 3
ddsg wrote:
If they're going to do disc only, I hope they put the same level of detail into optimizing the frame/fork to limit the aero penalty as Scott did on the new Foil


+1 on that. Caliper integration and fairing on the drive side of the fork look very neat on the foil. And Specialized should also adopt a more boxy design of the stem/bar combo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 pm
Posts: 109
DWorks wrote:
It is slowly but surely coming to a point where the Venge Vias will go through a mahout redesign. What would you suggest will feature on this new platform?

I would wager:

- lighter (especially cockpit)
- 12r
- Denk engineered (Denk joined late 2014 and his influence on the Vias must have been limited)
- Disc only
- UL version like for Tarmac
- Please keep the Chameleon Purple!!!

Besides, who would like to see a 1x option? Since this is a very much a One trick pony and seeing how the Tarmac has also become more Aero, wouldn't it make some sense (and score nicely weight-wise)?

Share your thoughts/wishes/...


They have pretty much gone disc only already. The caliper model has been removed from the consumer site (U.S.) and there are only limited sizes left on the dealer site(U.S.).

I think they could address most of the complaints be redesigning the stem/handlebar to be a lighter system. It wouldn't necessarily mean a frame update.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm
Posts: 135
Location: Southern California
Less ugly would be a good start.

_________________
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Red)
2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint (Gold)


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:30 pm
Posts: 33
pyrahna wrote:
They have pretty much gone disc only already. The caliper model has been removed from the consumer site (U.S.) and there are only limited sizes left on the dealer site(U.S.).

I think they could address most of the complaints be redesigning the stem/handlebar to be a lighter system. It wouldn't necessarily mean a frame update.


The caliper model probably had low demand given that from what I'd heard the proprietary brakes performed poorly and had QC issues. Competition from the Madone which is rim brake only and subjectively much better probably didn't help.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:39 pm
Posts: 264
It needs to be lighter, by quite a lot as well if you ask me. Some of the version that have great paint are actual lead mines.

Do's:
+Update frame now that 3:1 is no longer a thing
+Make it so that if you don't run the Specialized stem/bars it actually looks good, get rid of that lump behind the stem
+Make the stem/bars lighter
+Rework the preload adjust mechanism for the cranks
+Make bars that accept non-Specialized clipons as well
+Come up with something clever for thru axel wheel changes

Don't:
-Make an ugly bike
-Make it 1x only

I'm expecting a Venge 3 / ViAS 2 or whatever you want to call it this year, very curious to see what they come up with this time.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm
Posts: 312
I'd imagine that they would be co-designing a new Shiv TT along with it, as that bike is probably the oldest in Specialized lineup without any changes excluding kids bikes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 26
Would be nice if it was easier to travel with the bike in a hard case too. The current solution is “buy the scicon soft case” haha :lol:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:13 am
Posts: 1
Ultimately, aero disc could be designed into a disc cover of sorts, for the safety concerned


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm
Posts: 133
L3X wrote:
+Make it so that if you don't run the Specialized stem/bars it actually looks good, get rid of that lump behind the stem
+Make bars that accept non-Specialized clipons as well
.

They will never do this: $pecialized is very good in forcing customers to buy $pesh only. And they don’t care for weight; if they did, they would not have given Sagan a 8.4kg(!!) bike in Tour Down Under this year.
https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/01/13/td ... ld-wheels/
$pesh is all about marketing. It used to be a very good company, but now it’s only marketing driven.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4770
That Venge for Sagan they paraded around at the Tour down Under.... I don’t think Sagan even rode it once during the race, did he?

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99
C59 Five Years Later
My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm
Posts: 133
I don’t think so. Maybe the first day (if I remember well).


Top
   
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 pm 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) New Venge Vias Disc or stick with my buddy 2015 sworks venge

in Road

speedworkx

8

2291

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Spez View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Venge ViAS Owners

in Road

morganb

10

1193

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 pm

pyrahna View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Venge Vias Seatpost measurement?

in Road

itsacarr

0

317

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:56 pm

itsacarr View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Venge seatpost tail light recommendations?

in Road

mvcap

10

674

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:33 pm

sun View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Venge VIas disc actual weights?

in Road

thumper88

4

1546

Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:01 am

soonyoung View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Chris3g, mopin, Yahoo [Bot] and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited