Is 2018 the year proper race bikes with discs gain momentum?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Also Kittel on the rim brake Aeroad not the disc.

I think the momentum is in the non disc direction.

But I won’t count out the manufactures demanding the pros “adopt” as without this I cannot see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

In what way are the rim brakes ‘poorer’?......... they just take longer to stop when in the wet, it’s just something you get used to or are used to......

guyc

by guyc

"they just take longer to stop when in the wet"

Is the answer.

jeffy

by jeffy

i can't think of any reason why a few meters of extra stopping distance would matter? Even for cyclists who aren't Pros, taking longer to stop or not being able to control your speed as accurately doesn't have any significant consequences.

guyc

by guyc

Seriously?

MoPho

by MoPho

Of course it doesn't matter... until it does :roll:

Shrike

by Shrike

Guys.

Sarcasm.

guyc

by guyc

I sure hope so....

jeffy

by jeffy

i have watched plenty of pro racing where they have been descending in the rain. Riders will often unclip to drag their feet for additional braking. What's wrong with that? Good enough for the Pros, good enough for me.

themidge

by themidge

They don't drag their feet to slow themselves down, in fact they don't drag their feet on the ground at all, its about being able to put a foot down easily if they slide out. I must mention that it tends to be the less capable decenders in the peloton who do this too.

robertbb

by robertbb

What about the opposite problem - people who can't descent will end up hitting corners way too fast and braking late. Even if they don't go ass-over-tit themselves, they'll end up causing others to slam into the back of them. If you ride down a mountain outside of your abilities, you're gonna fall and disc brakes won't save you.

guyc

by guyc

Remember.

Brakes stop the wheels. Tyres stop the bike.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

corky wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:12 am
In what way are the rim brakes ‘poorer’?......... they just take longer to stop when in the wet, it’s just something you get used to or are used to......
He meant poorer than normal rim brakes. No one prefers the power or feel of Venge "sort of V-brakes" to any of the popular caliper rim brakes. The point being the world champ chose to run the crappiest existing rim brakes over the best current discs.

P.S. I rode 70mi today and never more than breathed on my brake levers. For rides like that aero and weight matter but braking just doesn't matter at all. There are a lot of rides and races like that.

htc

by htc

The reason the pros keep riding the rim brake version is wheel swap logistics, to us a flat tire means repairing it at the side of the road, to them it means swapping a new wheel in as quickly as possible and chasing back on. That wheel could come from their team car, neutral service or a team mates bike. The speed, ease and compatibility of that change all have an impact on their potential for a result in the race. If they felt the actual brake performance was a step up enough to give them a benefit in real terms vs ease of swaps etc. Then you can bet that they would be using them more often, as it is the performance benefit just isn’t there for the pro’s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jasjas

by jasjas

htc wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:53 am
The reason the pros keep riding the rim brake version is wheel swap logistics, to us a flat tire means repairing it at the side of the road, to them it means swapping a new wheel in as quickly as possible and chasing back on. That wheel could come from their team car, neutral service or a team mates bike. The speed, ease and compatibility of that change all have an impact on their potential for a result in the race. If they felt the actual brake performance was a step up enough to give them a benefit in real terms vs ease of swaps etc. Then you can bet that they would be using them more often, as it is the performance benefit just isn’t there for the pro’s.
this would also apply to all the 10's of 1000s of racers world wide from cat 5 to elite (but not Pro's) who also need either team or neutral service

I think both will continue alongside each other, just like electronic and mech groupsets.

Disks just dont provide the benefits that say sti shifters did, which was the last time the whole bike became obsolete.