Is 2018 the year proper race bikes with discs gain momentum?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The groupset manufacturers are going to keep making top-tier rim-brake components for at least a decade and I wager more like two decades. That's the beauty of having 8pc component groupsets. You only have to swap out some components.

Plus since rim-braking has been and still is adequate according to its proponents, who cares if they cut R&D for those specific components? They're already as functional as needed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxo2

by maxo2

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:52 am
I'm a light guy. I absolutely love that people switch to disc brakes because I can score some really good deals on lightweight calipers. :lol:

/a
And wheels!

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Some food for thought

https://twitter.com/cyclinghubtv/status ... 88097?s=21

How much faster would he have been with discs?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Since I've been a heavy proponent of disc brakes, I figured I'd share the first minute of every single one of my rides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqihylk2rs0

1) I live at the top of a hill.
2) The road has a 16% grade.
3) Yep that's a home construction site with lots of worker vehicles and the usual fasteners, broken glass, random pieces of metal, splinters, etc. around the first corner.
4) Every house has ramped driveways with poor visibility.
5) Yes, that's a pick-up truck exiting a driveway there.
6) The camera rattles hard over those horizontal breaks where cable was laid and the road repaved.
7) The camera rattles hard over less visible road imperfections...little lumps and depressions.
8) There's like 1500ft of this at minimum on every ride.

When I first started cycling, I rode down the hill as quickly as possible to get the top time. Since then I've gotten a bit wiser and also been hit by cars twice (though not on this street,) so I don't do that anymore. One car rushing out of a driveway would ruin my bike and my face. I know that repeated heat cycles not even to glass transition temps will still damage to rims over time. I know dvq's ENVE SES 6.7s had some bubbling/warping on the braketrack after 25000mi and generally have a higher average VAM than him just because we tend to ride certain routes over and over. I do not think rim-brake carbon clinchers would be a good choice for me even though it's only 155lbs of bike, rider and misc that needs to be stopped.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am
I do not think rim-brake carbon clinchers would be a good choice for me even though it's only 155lbs of bike, rider and misc that needs to be stopped.
All these issues are unique to carbon "CLINCHERS." Carbon clinchers are a stupid idea anyway. In fact carbon clincher wheels in general are a waste of money really. You are no faster on carbon vs aluminum. Carbon tubulars are another thing as they don't have the heat issues and are very light.

bilwit

by bilwit

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
I do not think rim-brake carbon clinchers would be a good choice for me even though it's only 155lbs of bike, rider and misc that needs to be stopped.
All these issues are unique to carbon "CLINCHERS." Carbon clinchers are a stupid idea anyway. In fact carbon clincher wheels in general are a waste of money really. You are no faster on carbon vs aluminum. Carbon tubulars are another thing as they don't have the heat issues and are very light.
but not a problem with carbon clinchers with disc brakes, am I right guys??? :lol:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Since I've been a heavy proponent of disc brakes, I figured I'd share the first minute of every single one of my rides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqihylk2rs0

1) I live at the top of a hill.
3) Yep that's a home construction site with lots of worker vehicles and the usual fasteners, broken glass, random pieces of metal, splinters, etc. around the first corner.
4) Every house has ramped driveways with poor visibility.
5) Yes, that's a pick-up truck exiting a driveway there.
6) The camera rattles hard over those horizontal breaks where cable was laid and the road repaved.
7) The camera rattles hard over less visible road imperfections...little lumps and depressions.
8) There's like 1500ft of this at minimum on every ride.

When I first started cycling, I rode down the hill as quickly as possible to get the top time. Since then I've gotten a bit wiser and also been hit by cars twice (though not on this street,) so I don't do that anymore. One car rushing out of a driveway would ruin my bike and my face. I know that repeated heat cycles not even to glass transition temps will still damage to rims over time. I know dvq's ENVE SES 6.7s had some bubbling/warping on the braketrack after 25000mi and generally have a higher average VAM than him just because we tend to ride certain routes over and over. I do not think rim-brake carbon clinchers would be a good choice for me even though it's only 155lbs of bike, rider and misc that needs to be stopped.
I had a similar descent/ascent home before and used to do it on chinese carbon clinchers in the rain and when I had to stop I was holding on for dear life (stop signs/four-way intersections conveniently placed at the very steepest sections). I would agree discs are the way to go if these are regular conditions. However, when I look at my Strava dash, people I know who live in other states go on 40km+ rides and have less than 100m of climbing throughout. I can think of a few responses from them if someone told them that THEY NEED disc brakes because it's the future :lol:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote: 1) I live at the top of a hill.
Yeah I agree that disks are the best option for you. That descend would put a lot of wear and tear on carbon rim brakes. I also live on the top of a hill with a stop sign at the very bottom. The elevation loss (200’ at 6%) is nowhere near yours. I only need to brake twice on my hill to descend safely. And I don’t weigh much (130lbs). Weight is a huge factor. I ride a tandem and it would be insane if I didn’t have a disk on the tandem. The size of my disk? 254mm with Shimano’s IceTech aluminum cooling fins. When I first came to Colorado I blew a tire off of the tandem’s front rim on a 3 mile 8% descent. That incident prompted me to buy a tandem with a rear disk.

Disks are appropriate for some people and some situations. I just don’t think it’s the best solution for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

queloque67

by queloque67

All of my bikes are rim brake bikes....so my next purchase this year will be a disc bike especially since I go to Europe almost every year to hit the Alps and other mountainous locations. I hate the feeling coming down those moutains with rim breaks and my hands getting fatigued. I'm not a pro and not trying to be one.

mattsurf

by mattsurf

XCProMD wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 am
Some food for thought

https://twitter.com/cyclinghubtv/status ... 88097?s=21

How much faster would he have been with discs?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
He wouldn't have been any faster as I dont think that he was touching his brakes. However, he could pick his lines without fear of oncoming traffic, and you can see from his lines that he probably knew the descent well.

check6

by check6

I didn't have time (patients) to read the whole thread, but there's always the idea that disc brakes gain momentum not because they are better or needed, but because people like them. I live in a flat part of a flat State and you can count me in that group. Why? I'm an old mountain biker that just likes the feel of them and the better stopping anytime you want or need it. Also, I guess I just like the latest thing in my gear. It's fun/interesting to me and *may* make me a little more inclined to go ride my bike on a day when I'm thinking meh.

Choices man. Choices.

dvq

by dvq

This is the only downside of disc brakes imho: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd8m3h8AtTI/

BiscuitHarrington

by BiscuitHarrington

dvq wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:21 pm
This is the only downside of disc brakes imho: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd8m3h8AtTI/
Is this sort noise only caused by poorly maintained or contaminated brakes - do they need to squeal?

dvq

by dvq

BiscuitHarrington wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:48 pm
dvq wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:21 pm
Is this sort noise only caused by poorly maintained or contaminated brakes - do they need to squeal?
Neither, it's just wet out.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dvq, why do you let elephants 🐘 ride your bike??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Couldn’t help notice that Sagan chose the rim brake venge over the disc. Now these brakes are poorer than your classic design yet obviously preferable to the extra weight and poorer aero of disc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk