How much do you spend on accessories?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dim

by dim

IrrelevantD wrote:
dim wrote:nice!!! .... but do yourself a favour and get the Garmin Varia Radar unit .... not sure if it will link to the Hammerhead but it does work with the Garmin 810 .... if it does not work with the Hammerhead, it does come with it's own display unit .... best gadget that I have bought and highly recomended

Well, part of the reason I went with the Hammerhead was because I've been having a lot of issues with the 810 locking up on me. It will just randomly freeze completely requiring a reboot. When it comes back up, my activity to that point is gone. It's gotten so bad that I started bringing my 500 along in my back pocket as a backup, which unfortunately is to the point that it only lasts about 2 hours. So, now I'm using my Vivoactive as a backup on every activity. Real PITA. I've thought about it in the past, but I don't know that I want the distraction of seeing how close the car is on my computer vs just listening for it. I kinda always figured, if they're going to hit me from behind, I'm not sure how much I want to "see" it coming.

downgrade to 5.0 firmware version ....
https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/edge-810-aa/159718-

check your settings (I used this site to set up my Edge 1000 .... I don't see info for the 810, but there may be some tips on the info for the Edge 800 (read the info on the comment section at the bottom):

http://www.forgot.co.uk/garmin-edge-navigation/edge-800/

as for the Garmin Varia radar unit, it allows me to know how many cars are approaching, and how far they are behind me, and how fast they are approaching .... this allows me more space on the roads especially if the roads are bad with potholes on the shoulders, and this gives me a more relaxed ride .... it's like having an extra pair of eyes on the back of your head .... some new cars (electric), don't make much sound, and if you are riding into a strong headwind, you cannot hear them approach

of all the gadgets that I have, this is the one that I rate the most
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I spend like a crack addict on shoes, kits, helmets and sunglasses. Instagram is the devil. Just can't resist. :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stickman

by Stickman

Aussie dollars:

Front light - Fly12 - $250 (KickStarter price, now they're $400)
Rear Light - Fly6 - $180
Computer - CatEye something basic - $40?
Powermeter - nope
Bottle - CamelBak Podium - $20
Shoes - Pearl Izumi MTB casual style shoes - $130 (I commute and these are super comfy to walk in)
Pedals - SPD $90
Helmet - Bontrager Ballista - $230
Sunglasses - prescription, not cycling specific
emergency kit - Tool bottle with multitool ($50), patch kit, CO2 inflator
Saddle bag ($25) with 2 tubes ($20), 2 x CO2 cannisters, tyre levers, zip ties, gloves
Clothing...4 knicks, 4 jerseys, plus winter addons arm warmers, leg warmers, gilet, rain jacket, winter gloves - easily $600+ and that's basic level gear

2old4this

by 2old4this

dim wrote:as for the Garmin Varia radar unit, [...]

+1

However, it can (has to be?) be improved
1- the blinking leds are a too dim
2- battery does not last 5 hours

Mine was replaced under warranty and the second one behaves the same...

dim

by dim

2old4this wrote:
dim wrote:as for the Garmin Varia radar unit, [...]

+1

However, it can (has to be?) be improved
1- the blinking leds are a too dim
2- battery does not last 5 hours

Mine was replaced under warranty and the second one behaves the same...

battery life can be extended by switching off the light through your Garmin .... it also works with a powerbank while connected to the powerbank/battery pack so you can use it for long rides such as Paris Brest Paris or London Edinburgh London etc if you have decent powerbanks

.... mine never misses a beat and it takes a while to know how far behind the car is, and at what speed it's approaching at (if the red border on your garmin turns bright red as the car is approaching and you see the dot, you know that the car is travelling at excessive speed .... once you get the 'hang of it' and how it works, you will wonder why you never bought one earlier
Last edited by dim on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Alumen

by Alumen

Not too much at all !

Besides my frame, seat post and cockpit, everything is else a consumable and wears... The only double component is tyres, one for good- and one for bad weather. Love to find the balance between affordable (not cheap !!), reliable/rugged and relatively light weight components.

Also clothes, just the necessary and one of each, after I have used it I will immediately wash it anyway and it is dry in an eye wink...

But true... I have other really expensive hobbies as well 8)
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

mattr

by mattr

All you need to know is 5 helmets (3 giro, 2 kask), 9 pairs of Sidis, 2 pairs of Northwaves and enough top end headlights to start my own airport. Ok, maybe only a helipad, but you get the idea.

My wife is nearly as bad.

yinya

by yinya

Ok, subthread, do you ever sell your stuff to get some of $$$ back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, but not as often as I should.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jrobart

by jrobart

mattr wrote:All you need to know is 5 helmets (3 giro, 2 kask), 9 pairs of Sidis, 2 pairs of Northwaves and enough top end headlights to start my own airport. Ok, maybe only a helipad, but you get the idea.

My wife is nearly as bad.

I hope you don't mind, but I think I might love your wife! Needless to say, my wife doesn't share my obsession and spending habits on bikes, kit, accessories, etc!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

asiantrick wrote:I spend like a crack addict on shoes, kits, helmets and sunglasses. Instagram is the devil. Just can't resist. :mrgreen:

-this- So much kit I can't even keep track of it.

Computer- Garmin 520

Shoes- Sidi Wire, with 2 pairs of Gaerne G-Stilo collecting dust because I like the Wires better

Helmet- 2 Kask Vertigo 2.0 different colors

Bibs- 6 Pair of Giordana FRC, 2 pair of Giordana FRC pro, 1 pair of Giordana EXO system, 2 pair of ALE PRR 2.0, 3 pair of Capo.

Tights- 1 pair Giordana G-Shield, 1 pair Giordana Gradient

Jersies- too many to count........almost every iteration of Giordana FRC and FRC Pro, numerous Capo, a few Sportful.

Jackets- 1 Giordana, 1 ALE

Rain Jackets- 1 Giordana 1 Sportful

Vests- 1 Giordana 1 Sportful

Sunglasses- Kask Koo Optics for road, Oakley Split Jacket for MTB

It made me a little sick to actually write this stuff down. Glad my wife doesn't visit this site. She has no clue what is going on in my closet.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

mattr

by mattr

yinya wrote:Ok, subthread, do you ever sell your stuff to get some of $$$ back?
F**k no. I keep it until it's fit only for the bin. Sometimes even longer than that.

Oh, i forgot the ~15 pairs of oakleys we have between us. Oldest pair were (until recently) the original Mumbos...... which i bought with a tax refund in the early 1990s.

(And we never, ever, ever pay retail for anything)

Boshk

by Boshk

yinya wrote:Ok, subthread, do you ever sell your stuff to get some of $$$ back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I did. I went from MTB shoes & pedals to road shoes, selling mtb shoes now.
Trying to sell my Diverge.....to make way for another bike haha, in the future.

Have a dawn/dusk/night outfit with reflectives....altura nightvision kit
2) Pearl Izumi UPF50+ jersey and bib for the daytime/sunny
3) Castelli kits....just because its castelli
4) need an Assos kit...yet to buy....just because I want to see what the fuss is about
5) need a 8C-15C kit....long sleeves and 3/4 or tights bibs
6) may try a Kask Mojito or Protone to see what that fuss is about too