Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:01 pm 

Installing braze on 8050 on my Stevens CX frame... problem I have is the way the frame is designed there actually is no where to put this aluminum plate.. the way the frame is designed after the braze on mount plate, the frame literally is molded to take a 90 degree bend inwards and goes perfectly flat towards the rear wheel... the screw conveniently is perfectly aligned right on the edge of where the frame takes the 90 degree bend in and screwing it in its actually is scuffing that 90 degree bend of carbon up...

I have the derailleur perfectly aligned without the use of the screw, I guess the new braze on mounts are very adaptable to the new designs?

So do I NEED this plate in there?? Or is this something to be not be concerned about? Just don't see how to make this work with the design of the frame...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:53 pm 

ParisCarbon wrote:
Installing braze on 8050 on my Stevens CX frame... problem I have is the way the frame is designed there actually is no where to put this aluminum plate.. the way the frame is designed after the braze on mount plate, the frame literally is molded to take a 90 degree bend inwards and goes perfectly flat towards the rear wheel... the screw conveniently is perfectly aligned right on the edge of where the frame takes the 90 degree bend in and screwing it in its actually is scuffing that 90 degree bend of carbon up...

I have the derailleur perfectly aligned without the use of the screw, I guess the new braze on mounts are very adaptable to the new designs?

So do I NEED this plate in there?? Or is this something to be not be concerned about? Just don't see how to make this work with the design of the frame...

Don't bother, it's only for protection your frame.!

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:53 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:01 pm 

It’s called support bolt for a reason and it improves FD functionality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:37 pm 

The support bolt touche the frame if you turn it on when mounting the derailleur parallel to the chainring and to prevent that the point of the support bolt damage the frame you put the aluminium back plate on the frame.!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:27 pm 

Yes.. I know why the bolt is there.. turning it changes the angle it sits parallel to the chainrings.. the problem is the way the Stevens Super Prestige CX frame is built, it dips in 90 degrees right where the anchor screw comes out the back.. so tightening the screw is pushing it against where the 90 degree bend is... so there is no where to mount this plate...

https://www.stevensbikes.de/2016/index. ... id=1&pid=9

If you scroll through the little dots under the images and goto the last one and zoom it, you can see how the frame dips in...

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:27 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:21 pm 

The plate is designed to protect your frame from the support fixing bolt. If you don't want to, or can't instal the plate you will have to live with the support bolt scratching your carbon frame.
The FD wil not function properly without the support fixing bolt securely rested against the frame (or protection plate). Its not there to only initially adjust the FD, its there to support the FD every time it shifts.

Your question is "do I need to use this plate?" NO
But do you need to tighten the screw against the frame? YES