Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

I guess I am among the first users of BePro pedals.. was on a pre-order list until release at the time. I had no doubts about buying the new Assioma, based on my 30.000+km on the BePros.. training, lots of intervals, racing, touching the asphalt on crits, crashes etc etc Never ever any problem.
Two weeks ago I received the Assiomas.. installation as simple as any other pedal... almost 1000km and everything ok. I have checked wattage on certain short segments more or less protected from the wind... and perfect... same data as I had with the BePro. It is also very nice to have the app on the mobile to check battery, firmware etc. I have the first impression that Assioma's battery lasts more...

Talking about the cleats... since the BePro, I have been using the grey Look.. just because at the time I had almost new cleats and didn't want to "waste" them - and adjust etc. NEVER tried the included red ones.. continued with the greys and cannot complain. I have never tried the Blades so I can't compare... but compared with the simple Keo, the BePro/Assioma are 200% better... for a single day before receiving the Assiomas I rode the new bike with the Keos and my god.. felt like plastic kids bike pedals compared to the BePros.
My Assiomas have the spring tension at 50% and it is ok.. using old grey cleats that I was previously using on the BePros. On the other hand, on the BePros I used the spring at 100% because, before, at 50% seemed ok... but one day in a race, when I sprinted - for victory really - the pedal slipped and I did hit the saddle pretty hard - urgghhh - but could control the bike and cross the line with a bitter 4th place :( With the spring at 100% never had such problem.. actually.. at 50% only at this race.. I feel that the spring on the Assiomas is harder (or just because they are new?)

One pedal, two pedals? In my opinion, one pedal is enough... unless you are that person that if you find an imbalance you are REALLY going to work on it... physioterapy, gym, etc.. And actuallly if you have a large imbalance.. let's say 70/30 you would already know by your injuries, muscles asymmetry etc. If you won't work on the imbalance, that data will only make you paranoid. The same for the "advanced metrics". Most people - and coaches - don't know what to do with that data. Will you work on your pedal stroke? How?
In my point of view what is important is that every time I push those 350W... I read 350W +-2% . I don't care if the 350W are real 350W.. I care that my pedal gives me the same numbers for the same effort every day.
But I think that they are pretty good given that I test my FTP on a lab and the difference was only 7W compared to a 20mins field test.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

robertbb wrote:Does anyone have a picture of these pedals on a Campy 11 (C/R/SR) crank? I'd love to know how the pod looks and if it sits flush against the crank arm, is wider than the crank arm, etc.

BePro on Campy Record 2014 - no washers required (rubbing marks were from a thick winter neopren cover that touched the pod. It is important to verify that your shoe has enough clearance for the BePros anyway)

Assioma on Dura Ace 2017 - no washers required (it looks like the pods are smaller than opn the BePro..)

robertbb

by robertbb

Thanks TheBlackPath... appreciate that! Apparently the size of the pod on the Assioma's are reduced but it looks like they still won't interface very cleanly with a Campy crank (2014+).

It's looking more and more like Vector 3 for me... hopefully some black Friday deals...

3Pio

by 3Pio

TheBlackPath wrote:
robertbb wrote:Does anyone have a picture of these pedals on a Campy 11 (C/R/SR) crank? I'd love to know how the pod looks and if it sits flush against the crank arm, is wider than the crank arm, etc.

BePro on Campy Record 2014 - no washers required (rubbing marks were from a thick winter neopren cover that touched the pod. It is important to verify that your shoe has enough clearance for the BePros anyway)

Assioma on Dura Ace 2017 - no washers required (it looks like the pods are smaller than opn the BePro..)

Thanks a lot for ur posts.. Finally very usefull info about Asioma... U mentioned neoprene overshoes.. Is there any interference with the pods of Assioma / BePro in that case when u have to use them? Or even with overshoes no problems at all?

And i have Record Crankset 2015+, so also interested how they clear this crankset...

robertbb

by robertbb

3Pio wrote:
Thanks a lot for ur posts.. Finally very usefull info about Asioma... U mentioned neoprene overshoes.. Is there any interference with the pods of Assioma / BePro in that case when u have to use them? Or even with overshoes no problems at all?

And i have Record Crankset 2015+, so also interested how they clear this crankset...

I've measured my Chorus 2015+ crankset and the dimensions of the Assioma pod - they aren't gonna integrate so well.

3Pio

by 3Pio

robertbb wrote:
3Pio wrote:

I've measured my Chorus 2015+ crankset and the dimensions of the Assioma pod - they aren't gonna integrate so well.

I also measured my Record Crankset 2015+, and to me look like pod wont be a problem with crankset..

What im trying to find and to me look like more chance for a problem, what is the width of the pod?

3Pio

by 3Pio

Yesterday i went to local shop, and they had Campagnolo Record Crankset (brand new), so we tried to measure if Assioma Pod will interfere with the crank or not.

Seem that will fit without interfering at all (or max 1mm).

Anyway, main dilema i have between Garmin Vector 3 vs Favero Assioma are based on this:

1. Reliability and long term use

Seem that Favero was very reliable in term of bearings, axles etc.. And easy to repair, since cheap spare parts...

Dont know about Vector 3, but seem that Vector 2 was not that reliable

Plus for Vector 3 is that contact part can be replaced.. But i had that option on time Xpresso (never replaced it), and also not possible on Keo's i have, but for now not a problem..

2. Advanced Pedaling Dynamics.

Maybe there is not too much u can do with this data (at least is what i ca read on the net), but look like this Advanced metrcis on Garmin can be used to perfectly dial Bike Position, which look like very usefull thing....

3. Price difference

In this moment when i include all taxes, and expenses, Garmin Vector 3 is 168 EUR more expesive.

So what do u think? Favero Assioma Duo or Garmin Vector 3?

fogman

by fogman

For pedal based, I would choose Garmin Vector 3. Are the cleats Look Kéo compatible? Although I would choose Power2Max or SRM over any pedal based power meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

3Pio

by 3Pio

fogman wrote:For pedal based, I would choose Garmin Vector 3. Are the cleats Look Kéo compatible? Although I would choose Power2Max or SRM over any pedal based power meter.

I decide to go with pedal based power meter, but dual side. One of the reason is price, easy to tranfer to other bikes...

BTW, Vector 3 are Look Keo compatible (im riding Look Keo Blade's so dont need Shimano compatibility).

And curious.. Why do u prefer Vector 3 over Favero?

U think that advanced analysis Garmin provide is worth extra cost and weight? (Vector 3 are heavier 24 gm vs Favero).

BTW, Traier road now support Garmin Vector dynamics: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/tra ... nnect.html

And cant realize if this more analysis is worth and useable, or just more numbers on the screen. If this help in determining ideal bike fit, or adjusting position better, or advancing pedaling techniques maybe its worth.. (but until i try, maybe it's just marketing..)

fogman

by fogman

Garmin Vector 3:
1. Esthetics (no pod)
2. Look Kéo compatible
3. Battery life = 120 hours (coin cell)
4. Garmin Cycling Dynamics
5. Stack height = 12.5 mm
6. Weight = 322 grams
7. Price = $999.00 US
(I would choose Garmin for #1, 2, 3 and 4 above)

Favero Assioma:
1. Battery Life 50 hours (rechargeable)
2. Stack height = 10.5 mm
3. Weight = 300 grams
4. Price = $799.00 US

Is a shorter battery life (but rechargeable) an advantage or disadvantage vs. a longer battery life (but replaceable coin cell)?

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

3Pio wrote:

Actually only one specific overshoe did rub the sensor... no damages... just the printed logo a bit. All others no problem. Since the Assioma Pod is smaller, I guess that there won't be any problem..

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

fogman wrote:Garmin Vector 3:
1. Esthetics (no pod)
2. Look Kéo compatible
3. Battery life = 120 hours (coin cell)
4. Garmin Cycling Dynamics
5. Stack height = 12.5 mm
6. Weight = 322 grams
7. Price = $999.00 US
(I would choose Garmin for #1, 2, 3 and 4 above)

Favero Assioma:
1. Battery Life 50 hours (rechargeable)
2. Stack height = 10.5 mm
3. Weight = 300 grams
4. Price = $799.00 US

Is a shorter battery life (but rechargeable) an advantage or disadvantage vs. a longer battery life (but replaceable coin cell)?

Well I am suspicious because I chose Favero over Garmin. so my opinion might be biased.. but.. Vector is a "no" for me because of all problems some users have experienced with v1 and 2. Version 1 looks like they released a prototype at premium price, making their customers beta-testers. V2 was some improvemente based on the beta-testers feedback. Is version 3 finally "final"?

On the other hand with Favero... the BePro was already a very solid product. As I said... 2 years of heavy use and no problems at all. Could not find many people with problems - on the internet and other 4 friends who bought it - on my way to decide if I would buy Assiomas.. I HOPE to be lucky and do not regret of all my words here hehehe.. but so far, the Assiomas seem very good.

+.. a rechargeable battery is wonderful!! Especially now with the mobile app where you can check its level.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TheBlackPath wrote:
3Pio wrote:

Actually only one specific overshoe did rub the sensor... no damages... just the printed logo a bit. All others no problem. Since the Assioma Pod is smaller, I guess that there won't be any problem..

Thanks a lot..

I like to have Cycling dinamics, but more important for me is reliability...

I analyzed how the pedals are made, and i find out that Assioma are very robust made, and also access to parts which i can replace my self including bearings:

And access to spare parts:

https://cycling.favero.com/shop

About bearings here there is 3 of them, and to me look like standard bearings, which i dont need to buy from Favero.

In Garmin Vector 3 pedals, i can see needle bearings which in pedals like Power Tap P1 show that are not that reliable.

There is some possability for maintance as u can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1X3ztDNL6k

But not possible to replace bearings without sending them to Garmin, or buying repair kits which based on prices for Garmin Vector 2, are not that cheap.

Also based on Garmin Vector 3 schematic i can see only one bearing (needle bearing) and to me look like will be less reliable long term.

About Cycling Dynamics, Garmin opened this to other companies:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/garmin-opens-up-cycling-dynamics-to-other-companies.html

So not sure if this is based only on software, or need some specific hardware. But if it's based only on software, then there is a big chance that other companies will implement this cycling dynamics with some of the future firmware's...

And this Cycling dynamics was biggest reason why i wanted Garmin Vector 3, but realized that probably is one of the things u need are important, but in reality is not that important. So even this never happen to Favero, it wont be end of the world...

About replacabale battery vs chargable.. I can see the Water/Dust ressistance Index IPX7 for Garmin Vector, vs IP67 for Faverro's. This mean that maybe battery department on Garmin are more prone for some dust/water, which can lead to some more problems when u ride in rain, or trough dust on the roads (im riding my winter bike this days on rain, and whole bike is so dirty..). There is potential problem that battery on Favero will be with less capacity in few years (there is 2 years warranty), but even happen something like after the warranty, the price difference between them is about 170-200 eur, and the whole axle with sensor and battery in this moment is 303 eur (without tax).So in the worst case scenario, there will still be similar money and having a brand new axle/battery. Im sure until then will be cheaper (for BePro is 278 eur now), and even bigger possability that power meters by then will be much cheaper with new models on the market as well...

And weight difference (rotational Weight) of 22-24 gm is bonus

So im going for Favero Assioma Duo. As soon as i get them, and test ride them, ill share my experience...

Greatwhite7

by Greatwhite7

WR74 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:18 am
Interested in the opinions around the Assioma vs Vector. Looking at getting some "power" pedals and the significant price difference between the two makes the Assioma a very attractive option

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I have the vector 3 and am having trouble connecting them to the garmin app.
They connect to my laptop, to my wahoo bolt, to my garmin 520, but not the app for some reason.

The black look cleats work 100% with the vectors, but the off brand grey cleats do not fit.
I am thinking the grey cleats are thicker at the front and not slipping in.

If I dont get the vectors to connect and therefore update (common issue BTW), I may sell them and buy the Faveros.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

Hi guys, I was thinking about the single sided Assioma too but there's one comment here about it not fitting to Campy Chorus (2015+) crank.

Anyone use or know whether there is a problem with the pod vs crank arm?