Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Just got my assioma duo last week, no problem clipping in or out, no problem with spinning pedal whatsoever, and since having read that review I was conscious about it, so in the last couple of trainings I had my mind to iti to check if true...never happened, but it was a thing when I was using the be pro s with the non power pedal, I remember having it spinning like crazy sometimes.

ianrobo

by ianrobo

3Pio wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 pm
ianrobo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 pm
I am desperate :-)

I had to replace my vector 1 and these are highly rated by DC Rainmaker that it became a no brainer.

No issues with the power meter at all but the cleats ....

Firstly my look ones never worked at all, tried their Xpedeo and clips in but despite losening the tension I have had massive problems clipping out leading to two topple overs !!

so I unclip on the left and normally would twist out to the outside but takes a lot of effort to release, is it simply lessen the tension even more ?

Any ideas please about this because I need to get this sorted for a long ride on Sunday ! I can see the previous posts about the tension screw but a problem.

I presume the clip out and clip in methods are the same as normal for Look ?

TIA
I never tried XPedo cleats, and im using my original Look cleats (Non-Grip, just regular version, gray ones) which i have for about 3000-3500 km (dont know if the fact they are a bit worn out help for easier uncliping).

Anyway, i lessen the tension screw almost all way (i unscrew until i noticed no pressure on the spring, and then back just a little to just tuch the spring).

This way it's just a bit harder to unclip compared to my 12nm Look Keo Blade 2 Ti, but nothing scary even in heavy traffic in the city.

For clipping heel out way, i almost cant feel the difference compared to my Look pedals. The main difference i can notice is if u try to unclip heel in, then it's very hard to unclip (on Look is same effort heel in, or heel out). But i almost never unclip this way, so it's not a problem for me.

Positive thing with Favero's vs my Look Blade 12nm, is the more secure feeling while pedaling.

Hope i helped
thanks it did !! for reference I have three shoes so ordered some Xpedeo ones as the look ones were worn anyway but will try and loosen them even more.

But you are right, when riding yesterday it felt tighter but felt more power transfer than the vectors or just normal Look pedals, once fitted I like them, just the unclipping !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

ianrobo wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:30 pm
, when riding yesterday it felt tighter but felt more power transfer than the vectors or just normal Look pedals,
riiigghhtttt....
Chasse patate

3Pio

by 3Pio

So far im impressed with Favero's (I have DUO verion). I rode them in rain, dust, working perfectly.. Also impressed with battery life.. I got from first charge about 1000 km until i got message for low power...

Also i just go info that there will be new firmware soon, and support for oval chainrings...

"The new Assioma's software solutions guarantee even higher precision under any conditions of use by getting the best out of some unique hardware components of your power meter pedals. This improvement will be most noticeable in situations with very specific or irregular angular speeds and pedaling cadences.

We will go into more detail in an upcoming article in our Blog, for the moment we invite you to try -and enjoy- the following new features:

Total compatibility with oval chainrings
Optimization for all rollers/trainer resistance systems
Optimization for use at high cadences (e.g. track cycling)
Optimization for non-uniform pedaling (e.g. standing on the pedals / Piston-like)"

robertbb

by robertbb

I ordered Garmin Vector 3's in Australia about 6 weeks ago, directly from Garmin site. Garmin's slipped the delivery date twice already, and again it's been pushed out to mid-April with exact time unknown.

With all the known issues with drop-outs and general flakiness (apparently related to battery contact/seal) I can't help but wonder if they're scrambling to update the product before shipping out.

Day by day my patience grows thinner and I'm closer to pulling the trigger on Assioma's. There's a long list of positives:

- Lighter by 30g
- Cheaper by $200
- Greener (rechargeable, won't accumulate piles of toxic batteries for landfill)
- Installable with 8mm allen key (no pedal wrench required when travelling)
- Seems a far more reliable bearing design than the Garmins
- Lower stack height (10.5 vs Garmin's 12.5)
- User serviceable, with all parts available to buy on Favero's site at reasonable prices

If only those pods were slightly smaller. I still reckon they're a bit unsightly on Campy 2015+ cranks

3Pio

by 3Pio

robertbb wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 am

Day by day my patience grows thinner and I'm closer to pulling the trigger on Assioma's. There's a long list of positives:

- Lighter by 30g
- Cheaper by $200
- Greener (rechargeable, won't accumulate piles of toxic batteries for landfill)
- Installable with 8mm allen key (no pedal wrench required when travelling)
- Seems a far more reliable bearing design than the Garmins
- Lower stack height (10.5 vs Garmin's 12.5)
- User serviceable, with all parts available to buy on Favero's site at reasonable prices

If only those pods were slightly smaller. I still reckon they're a bit unsightly on Campy 2015+ cranks

With new firmware add to this list compatibility with Oval ChainRings... And im on Campy 2015+ Record crank and really no problems with pods. Also use them with two shoes i have (Specialized S-Works 5 and Gaerne G+ Stylo), no problems interfering with the pods (this was my biggest worry before i order them). And im getting about 1000-1050 km per charge, i like that when im getting the Low Battery message, i have about 8 hours of riding so rarely a chance to be without power in the middle of riding...

EMMANUEL15

by EMMANUEL15

Hello me i allready had a problem with my left pedal the values where erratic and they had to send me a new spindle and now after 2500km the bearings of the right pedales died completely .
So not really happy of the quality for now will see.

3Pio

by 3Pio

EMMANUEL15 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:22 pm
Hello me i allready had a problem with my left pedal the values where erratic and they had to send me a new spindle and now after 2500km the bearings of the right pedales died completely .
So not really happy of the quality for now will see.
Interesting.. Maybe to early to develop problems on my pair (i have 2000 km for now), so far so good. When and where did u purchase ur pair?

I bought mine in January in Greece

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Hello, I recently had to use in a race my assiomas with qxl chainrings and I think possibly a 175 instead of 172,5 crank arm that they are set up to (had to change bikes with a teamate just before the start)...Does anyone know what difference woyld that make to my numbers? higher or lower readings? anything would be helpfull! Also I read above that a software update is about to come that will offer support for the use of qrings, which I am about to buy after using them only once and really loved them!

EMMANUEL15

by EMMANUEL15

Hello i baught them from Favero direct in january now i have 4500km in them. After sale service is good just really slow for shipping 10days in average for a part but quik reply by mail 1 or 2 days. They use normal Fedex so pretty slow.

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

Any updates on longer term use of the Assioma pedals?

Has anybody had to use washers between the pedal and crank arm? I recall some manufacturers strongly advise against using washers with their carbon cranks.

3Pio

by 3Pio

r4nd0mv4r14bl3 wrote:Any updates on longer term use of the Assioma pedals?

Has anybody had to use washers between the pedal and crank arm? I recall some manufacturers strongly advise against using washers with their carbon cranks.
I have about 4000 km trouble free on mine..Still going strong.I will say stronger than me since i broke my wrist last week :(

Leviathan

by Leviathan

seaneT1 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:21 pm
Hello, I recently had to use in a race my assiomas with qxl chainrings and I think possibly a 175 instead of 172,5 crank arm that they are set up to (had to change bikes with a teamate just before the start)...Does anyone know what difference woyld that make to my numbers? higher or lower readings? anything would be helpfull! Also I read above that a software update is about to come that will offer support for the use of qrings, which I am about to buy after using them only once and really loved them!
30 years since my engineering degree, wish "scienceisfun" was still a poster, but here we go as a guess:
Power= Angular velocity (cadence) x torque
Torque= Force x distance from pivot.
So if the pedals think you are applying the force at a shorter distance than you actually are, then it should understate your actual power by 1.4%. I think.

dricked

by dricked

seaneT1 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:21 pm
You can download the app for your phone and change the crank arm length in there in just a few seconds. I did read something about being able to use the qrings style chain ring. The phone app is quite useful and tells you the battery level and you can also update the software wirelessly. I’ve had mine for a couple weeks and haven’t had much time to ride but so far they work quite well and no spacer needed on my DA 9100 crankset.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

Hi. I have them since February. The left pedal has a bit of play, and I think it tosses weird values. Like a 3% difference in torque everytime. And it's not consequently with the many power meters I had before. So I reached the Favero customer service, and let's see what they say. I fixed the play tightening the bolts and caps like they told me. The play disappeared, just to come back days later. So maybe it's the bearings...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com