Quick release recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woogie11

by woogie11

Hey everyone thanks for the input and lively discussion that's blossomed like a beautiful flower... Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been dealing with some stuff the past few days.

After reading through this and some other material I (might) have started to understand what to look for. I know, at this point, I'm probably starting to overthink it a bit much, it's not as if QR's are failing left and right but, I like to understand and therefor get exactly what I want for every piece of equipment I use :).

Would anyone be able to comment on the advantage/difference between, for example, the Extralite Alien 3/4. The 3 appears to utilize a larger clamping surface but, uses a plastic bushing, whereas the 4 uses a smaller clamping surface and a brass bushing. I think I'm leaning towards an external cam design with "high-ish" cam travel and a brass bushing, unless I'm coming to the wrong conclusion.

Also, any opinions or information on the Token shark tail or Zenith skewers? I have not been able to find detailed information on their design, cam travel and bushing material etc. Thanks again for any help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Why not thru axle and just skip all the arguing?

woogie11

by woogie11

kulivontot wrote:Why not thru axle and just skip all the arguing?

It doesn't suit my needs but, I did appreciate reading the perspectives and opinions on them.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

I've used the Token titanium shark tail skewers for the last couple of months for road racing and training and they've been solid enough for me. Easy to tighten down or open up, metal bushings, weigh around 50 g. I would avoid anything without metal bushings because as has been mentioned earlier, plastic bushings gets chewed up.

woogie11

by woogie11

RimClencher wrote:I've used the Token titanium shark tail skewers for the last couple of months for road racing and training and they've been solid enough for me. Easy to tighten down or open up, metal bushings, weigh around 50 g. I would avoid anything without metal bushings because as has been mentioned earlier, plastic bushings gets chewed up.

Hey. Thanks for the response, that's real helpful. I've owned Token BB/headsets and had nothing but, great experiences with their products. I know this is very subjective but, would you say the QRs have a nice "positive" feel to them when closing? haha. Thanks!