C60 disc - 15mm Hexlock, what is this?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

Bit confused with the bike, says it takes a 15mm thru-axle but no road wheels are 15mm TA except MTB wheels. But in Colnago's Twitter/IG feed there are plenty of road disc wheels that fit no problem. How are they doing this? Is there some kind of adapter that can fit a 12mm TA wheel into the 15mm fork?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

superdx wrote:Bit confused with the bike, says it takes a 15mm thru-axle but no road wheels are 15mm TA except MTB wheels. But in Colnago's Twitter/IG feed there are plenty of road disc wheels that fit no problem. How are they doing this? Is there some kind of adapter that can fit a 12mm TA wheel into the 15mm fork?

Many hubs are 15mm natively with 12mm sleeves or endcaps.

Colnago was also one of those brands that did weird things like 12x135mm TA in the rear the C59 Disc IIRC.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

Interesting, the wheels I'm interested in are the new Campy Bora 35 disc brakes. Any idea if these are also 15mm?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I see no indication that Campy's Bora wheels support 15mm TA.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

@superdx, I just built up my C60 disc and am not sure where you are seeing the 15mm. I currently have the Enve 3.4 disc wheels with the DT Swiss 240 hubs with the 12mm TA endcaps, but am looking to switch over to the Bora One discs. Also saw on the Wrench Science website that the fork is 12 X 100 and rear is 12 x 142, so looks like a standard (for now) set-up. You should be able to use almost any wheelset.

edit-checked with my LBS-the first generation C60 disc with post mount were 15mm front TA and 12 x 135 QR as Tobin pointed out. The newer ones with flat mount are the 12 X 100 and 12 x 142 TA, so guess it depends if you have the older post mount frame.

superdx

by superdx

@cycleboyco thank you so much. my frame was just ordered 2 months ago so it's a 2017 model

Was also confused about the post/flat mount. So if it's 2017 it's 12mm TA front/rear and flat mount for the discs? Its so confusing online.

Edit: Colnago's website still says post mount, but nothing about the the TA diameter

As with the C59, the C60 will soon also be available in a disc brake version.
With the new construction of the C60 Disc, Colnago was able to reduce frame weight
by 140gr compared to the C59 Disc. A small weight revolution!
The new C60 dropouts and a new co-molded post mount threaded insert on the C60 Disc
are both lighter and stiffer than the one-piece brake mount found on the C59 Disc.

Disc0

by Disc0

I'm building up a 2017 C60 Disc too, and yes, it is confusing!

The Hexlock axles are a Colnago-specific version of Manitou's Hexlock system.

Basically, it's a through-axle system that's closed off on one end (left side of fork dropout and drive side of frame dropout).

It's much easier to use than a standard quick release, but it does create the complication that you can't mount the bike on a standard trainer because you can't get an axle or skewer through the closed end of the frame.

Also, the holes for the through-axle are hex-shaped, not round. I haven't found a trainer axle that will fit yet.

Disc0

by Disc0

By the way, the Bora One 35 Disc wheels will fit - that's what I'm using. From what I could find, they're currently the only wheelset that will fit the C60 Disc at the same time as allowing use of a Campagnolo freehub.

Disc0

by Disc0

Last but not least, the caliper mounts are flat mounts. I'm using Campy H11.

Kimsune

by Kimsune

do You know where to buy these 12x142 and 12x100 hexlock QRs? Cant find it anywhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com