updated recommendations on open mold frame suppliers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apctjb

by apctjb

There is a lot of great info on this forum regarding building a bike with an open mold carbon frame. Thanks for all the post!

After reading this forum I have decided to give building a bike from scratch using an open mold frame a try, and looking for recent/updated recommendations regarding reputable manufacturers/suppliers to contact (or avoid) for frame, fork and wheels and components.

My ideal bike would be <15lbs, and lean more toward a relaxed-sportive geometry than aggressive racing. (weight of an Emonda and the geometry of a Domane)

What manufacturers, and specific frames and wheels would others suggest I look at? Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

there is the largest thread about this on the internet within this forum on this topic.....

apctjb

by apctjb

there is the largest thread about this on the internet within this forum on this topic.....

Yes! Great resource. In my review of past post I did not see the question of which current reputable suppliers offer frames <900g in a more relaxed geometry clearly addressed. I hoped there might be others who are more familiar/current with the topic who might be able to make some recommendations to get me started.

kidrob

by kidrob

Tan Tan, Velobuild, Hongfu, Dengfu, Longteng, Light Bicycle

Some interesting opinion here viewtopic.php?p=1354033#p1354033
and I have a brand new Hongfu viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147240

apctjb

by apctjb

Tan Tan, Velobuild, Hongfu, Dengfu, Longteng, Light Bicycle

Some interesting opinion here viewtopic.php?p=1354033#p1354033
and I have a brand new Hongfu viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147240

Thanks; your bike looks great! Sounds like you did a lot of research prior to buying; curious to learn the reasons you settled on Hongfu and the other components.

kidrob

by kidrob

Well, the whole thing was risky as you are "blindly" investing in a frame which you have never seen in person or which was tested many times, especially as its the very new model. Therefore I went for Hongfu as it seemed to be the premium and therefore less risk. But yeah, the opinion re the choice of supplier in the previous linked thread is very interesting. Maybe I would let them paint it next time, they can make everything possible (check out Millers bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147292).

The frame's quality and features are great and there is no reason to invest in a frame that costs 3-6x more just for the sake of having the name of a big brand on it. It's brand new technology, aero, stupidly light and cheap. I mean, these guys produce frames and other stuff on huge scale for all kind of big brands and names and have tons of knowledge that they put into these self developed frames.

I chose the rest of the parts because of their price/performance ratio. I had a lot of time, kept checking tests and special offers of different web shops and invested quite some time into Ebay.

The only big advise I have to give is to google and be aware of import taxes/customs of your country (!). I live in the "bike country" Belgium and they charged me more customs than original value of the frame, ouch! Next time I would ship to family in Germany who forward it to Belgium...

I do not regret my purchases, am very happy with the result and would deff do it again.

apctjb

by apctjb

Kidrod;

Greatly appreciate the response. Agree purchasing sight unseen has its concerns. Based on what I have read I am less concerned about quality than how the bike will ultimately ride. I have owned a lot of bikes, some feeling so much better to ride (stable, compliant, forgiving) and others not, but I have not invested the time to really understand why one feels so much better than another.

As I move into my 60's I am looking for something less racy with more stack but still a fast bike to keep up with the folks I ride with that tend to be 20 years younger.

Hence the question about frames with a more relaxed geometry. The Workswell 93 http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ROAD/Endurance/20170117/12.html is of interest but they are not responding to my inquiries.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

apctjb wrote:Kidrod;

Greatly appreciate the response. Agree purchasing sight unseen has its concerns. Based on what I have read I am less concerned about quality than how the bike will ultimately ride. I have owned a lot of bikes, some feeling so much better to ride (stable, compliant, forgiving) and others not, but I have not invested the time to really understand why one feels so much better than another.

As I move into my 60's I am looking for something less racy with more stack but still a fast bike to keep up with the folks I ride with that tend to be 20 years younger.

Hence the question about frames with a more relaxed geometry. The Workswell 93 http://www.workswellbikes.com/PRODDUCT/ROAD/Endurance/20170117/12.html is of interest but they are not responding to my inquiries.

I have the disc version of said frame on its way from China. And have always had good communications with Workswell (There have been issues with the frame, which was supposed to fit 28mm tires, but it turns out they mean actual 28mm tires and most come out wider on wide rims. So I have mailed them about a thousand times, flipflopping about whether I should wait or a new prototype or not, Coco has always answered to the best of her abilities.) You can try sales10@workswellbikes.com.cn to try and reach her.

As I don't have the frame yet, I can't tell you much about compliance and ride feel. Since mine will be disc, and yours probably the 800g version, I don't even know if my experiences with the frame would translate to yours. I'll post the bike when I have it and it is built though.

As far as stable goes... Compare the wheelbase, headset angle and chainstay length to bikes you have liked. Shorter wheelbase, shorter stays -> lively and thus less stable. Steeper headset angle -> lively and thus less stable.

Comfort-wise: 28mm tires (if they fit :D), something like the Ergon CF3 seatpost and nice thick handlebar tape should help, but most importantly -> the relaxed position will help.

apctjb

by apctjb

I have the disc version of said frame on its way from China. And have always had good communications with Workswell (There have been issues with the frame, which was supposed to fit 28mm tires, but it turns out they mean actual 28mm tires and most come out wider on wide rims. So I have mailed them about a thousand times, flipflopping about whether I should wait or a new prototype or not, Coco has always answered to the best of her abilities.) You can try sales10@workswellbikes.com.cn to try and reach her.

As I don't have the frame yet, I can't tell you much about compliance and ride feel. Since mine will be disc, and yours probably the 800g version, I don't even know if my experiences with the frame would translate to yours. I'll post the bike when I have it and it is built though.

As far as stable goes... Compare the wheelbase, headset angle and chainstay length to bikes you have liked. Shorter wheelbase, shorter stays -> lively and thus less stable. Steeper headset angle -> lively and thus less stable.

Comfort-wise: 28mm tires (if they fit :D), something like the Ergon CF3 seatpost and nice thick handlebar tape should help, but most importantly -> the relaxed position will help.

Ticlimax; Thanks for input and contact info at Workswell. Very curious to hear you impression of the frame once it arrives. Yes I would be going for the superlight 800g model but assuming can run 28mm tires would expect a plush ride. I am currently on a Colnago C50 with 23mm so suspect it will be an improvement regardless.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Be sure to check whether a 28mm will actually fit. (and what you mean by a 28mm, a 28mm Schwalbe Pro One on 19mm inner width rims comes out at 30mm for example).

I am very curious of impressions of the frame as well :D. And my first impressions of setting up hydraulic brakes. And my first impressions of midsection carbon hoops.

That said, I expect the frame to be good. Workswell has a decent reputation on the forums here.

apctjb

by apctjb

Coco has always answered to the best of her abilities.) You can try sales10@workswellbikes.com.cn to try and reach her.

Have an email out to her. I am not seeing the 093 on Alibaba or Aliexpress and hope it is still available. They have a new endurance frame at 1000g, vs 800g for the 093.

Thanks

apctjb

by apctjb

Coco has always answered to the best of her abilities.) You can try sales10@workswellbikes.com.cn to try and reach her.

Still having no luck getting a reply from Workswell. Maybe my email is being blocked for some reason. Has anyone ever gotten through on the phone or skype with them?

Any suggestions...

kidrob

by kidrob

apctjb wrote:

Still having no luck getting a reply from Workswell. Maybe my email is being blocked for some reason. Has anyone ever gotten through on the phone or skype with them?

Any suggestions...

Yeah, that is indeed very strange. No matter what seller, they all are usually very responsive - especially for very new costumers.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

kidrob wrote:
apctjb wrote:

Any suggestions...

Yeah, that is indeed very strange. No matter what seller, they all are usually very responsive - especially for very new costumers.

I've last had an email from Coco on wednesday. I've never used skype or the phone so I can't give info on that. If you PM me your mailadress or name, I can ask her about it if she replies to me next time.

I've also had the frame arrive (hurray :D). It looks properly finished no visible damage or sharp edges anywhere), so that's already a relief. Wish I didn't have such a busy week and weekend, it'll be sunday before I even get to install anything.
My size 54 disc came in at 930g for the frame (with 24g seat clamp) and 343g for the fork (with mounting bolts). When I'll build it up properly, I'll link to the thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wildh

by Wildh

apctjb wrote:

Any suggestions...

I've worked with Carrie at sales13@workswellbikes.com.cn

She's been great and responds to every email I've ever sent within 24 hours. Sent pictures as it was being painted to confirm logo placement and other things. Even sent me a follow up email after my bike was delivered to make sure it arrived ok.