Speedplay Pave Replacement Parts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

After giving my pedals a good clean I noticed that part of the pedals have broken away, I'm guessing this may be causing some of the extra play that I've experienced. Has anyone else had this happen to them? And is there a supplier of the replacement brass looking parts? I haven't contacted the importer here because it's sunday afternoon, I'll call tomorrow morning, but figured I should ask here first.

It's the yellow/brass coloured parts in the image below:

My damages ones:

robsbc

by robsbc

The same has happen to me to 3 sets of pave pedals. I returned them to shop for replacement and after the 2nd pair got the importer invloved then eventually I had to deal with Speedplay direct each pedal would last3 months.My 4th pair are 7 months old with no issues.

I suggest speaking to Yuzo Kishida @ Speedplay as he dealt with my issues.
Rob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I've been looking at the list of spare parts available and no mention of these bits. I flicked an email to the supplier, he should give me a call tomorrow.

robsbc

by robsbc

glam2deaf wrote:Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I've been looking at the list of spare parts available and no mention of these bits. I flicked an email to the supplier, he should give me a call tomorrow.

My UK importer was instructed by Yuzo to swap out the whole body on the fourth pair sounds like the ceramic gold insert doesn't come as a spare.
Rob

robsbc

by robsbc

Silly question to ask have you had the pedals apart? The bow ties apart? Yuzo mentioned if the screws are overtightend they can break the gold ceramic insert.

Also lack of lube on cleat and pedal can also crack the ceramic insert.
Rob

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Saturday was the first time I had pulled one apart and realised that the gold bits didn't look quite right. I've got an email back already, so hopefully I'll get a solution sorted.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Update for those interested. New pair of bodies showed up this morning. Cheers Speedplay!

nex

by nex

My new pedals just broke after a few clip-ins. Would you recommend I exchange them or should I just get the standard Zero's instead?

LBS says he's seen 2 break like this as well.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

My replacement set has been rock solid. If it happens again I'll go back to regular zero's. But for now, I love these pedals.

nex

by nex

Are those the nanogram spindles?

Also, can you PM the email of Yuzo at speedplay?

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Spindles are from Ward Ti.

Not sure on Yuzo's email, I just went through the local importer.

nex

by nex

Same spindles as for standard zeros? Ward wasn't sure.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Yep, they're the same.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

One question to those running the Pave'......Do you find stepping down into say light dirt not an issue with the Pave' over the Zero.... The main reason I stick with the Ti zeros is they work so good but grit in the pedal mid ride is a pain if you have to step in some unforeseen ground....

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I've been running them for 2+ years I think. And never noticed any issues with getting them jammed up. I'm not exactly precious when it comes to walking with bike shoes.