SRM ditching Shimano?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

climber8

by climber8

If anyone is based in the US and wants to purchase an SRM, I am happy to offer advice and/or help with ordering. I can even extend a discount to forum members.

I'm a rider and racer first, and I've been a tester of other power meters. I've owned, tested, installed, and/or analyzed power files from just about every unit out there.

Happy to help anyone here out.

PS My take on the rechargeable battery thing: Last time I was in Germany I got a look at the then-prototype of the Origin meter, and I had a long chat about batteries. I know that the idea of recharging a battery is appealing, but with the long-life of the current models (1,900h & up for almost every unit), changing batteries is infrequent at best. It's also not a bad idea to have a meter in for servicing every 4-5 years -- new firmware, validation of the unit, etc., is valuable for these devices which can be used in harsh environments.

Also, the state of rechargeable batteries is such that their behavior when nearing depletion changes in a different way than non-rechargeable. IME in various applications, this can adversely affect discharge, and I've seen funny behavior from meters when voltage deviates even a slight bit from what is expected.

IMO, it's an extra charge, it requires user attention (I don't know what ACTUAL battery life is like from the rechargeable, but it is hard to beat 3,000h from some units), and it may exhibit odd behavior if a user is not diligent about keeping it topped up.

Further, rechargeable batteries DO require service; the memory effect means that batteries lose ability to hold a charge over time. This seems to happen even for those batteries that are not supposed to have a memory effect. Anyone with a mobile phone or laptop computer knows how these degrade within a few years. One may still send in the meter every 4-5 years anyway.

I think this was a bigger issue when battery life was only ~1 year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

It will be interesting come the 2018 season to see what the pro teams will be using.. If I recall Trek, Orica, and BMC were still using the 9070 looking crank and the new group through the season...

mds

by mds

climber8 wrote:PS My take on the rechargeable battery thing

Here is my take (perspective from ~8 years Li on bikes).

- Some Li have heat sensitive safety cutoffs. Cutoff can fire and permanently kill a battery on a bike stored in a hot car. Annoying.

- Recharge cables dangling off a stored bike are a problem. If you roll the bike forgetting to disconnect, you risk damaging the USB port. Likewise, if a family member walks by the bike and accidentally snags the cable, c'est la vie.
2009 Look 595

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

The cables is a good point, but SRM is using their magnet connector system same as on the PC8. I've kicked and knocked mine around a whole lot and it safely disconnects each time.

Though the P2M NG looks like it could be an issue.

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

mds wrote:
climber8 wrote:PS My take on the rechargeable battery thing

Here is my take (perspective from ~8 years Li on bikes).

- Some Li have heat sensitive safety cutoffs. Cutoff can fire and permanently kill a battery on a bike stored in a hot car. Annoying.

- Recharge cables dangling off a stored bike are a problem. If you roll the bike forgetting to disconnect, you risk damaging the USB port. Likewise, if a family member walks by the bike and accidentally snags the cable, c'est la vie.

The new shimano power meter has the equivalent of a magsafe connector, so that at least isn't a problem.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

glam2deaf wrote:The cables is a good point, but SRM is using their magnet connector system same as on the PC8. I've kicked and knocked mine around a whole lot and it safely disconnects each time.

Yeah, I've even had the issue of the PC8 charging cable disconnecting too easily. So, I wouldn't be worried about catching it on a bike.

fogman

by fogman

climber8 wrote:If anyone is based in the US and wants to purchase an SRM, I am happy to offer advice and/or help with ordering. I can even extend a discount to forum members.

I'm a rider and racer first, and I've been a tester of other power meters. I've owned, tested, installed, and/or analyzed power files from just about every unit out there.

Happy to help anyone here out.

@climber8. I would like to contact you about the SRM Campagnolo Power Meter. I sent a PM but I don't think it went through.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

boots2000

by boots2000

Is anyone using a 24mm unit yet?
Weight?
Feedback?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I am using the 30mm unit but I have seen the 24mm.

I was told they were still back ordered as well last I spoke with them. Weight wise I haven't seen a weight but I suspect it should be close to the 30 even if it uses the NDS spline adapter.

Either way I have been super impressed with the Origin.

(not mine)
Just ride ..

5DII

by 5DII

does shimano provide the NDS arms to SRM, Stages, etc at cost or do they make a small profit too?

Quattroporte

by Quattroporte

My 24 mm Origin is 686 gm on my scales with 9100 compact rings vs. the DA 7950 it replaced at 779 gm. It is definitely a nice piece of kit and like itsacarr I've been impressed with to the point I might not be disappointed if/when the DA options go away at SRM. I had concerns about the NDS spline adapter but no issues so far. It required a tweak to the magnet location from the DA but has been bullet-proof since installed.

boots2000

by boots2000

On installation do you grease inside and outside of spline adaptor?
Or just inside?
I am reading correct that pinch bolt only torques down to 5nm?
Quattroporte wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:56 pm
My 24 mm Origin is 686 gm on my scales with 9100 compact rings vs. the DA 7950 it replaced at 779 gm. It is definitely a nice piece of kit and like itsacarr I've been impressed with to the point I might not be disappointed if/when the DA options go away at SRM. I had concerns about the NDS spline adapter but no issues so far. It required a tweak to the magnet location from the DA but has been bullet-proof since installed.

Quattroporte

by Quattroporte

I greased both the inside and the outside of the adapter. Yes, having trouble believing it but I followed the 5 nM spec for the pinch bolt.

Geoff

by Geoff

Looks so nice. If I had my druthers, that's the SRM I think that I would run, too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I forgot to post this a while back but seems fitting for this thread. Maybe ill repost it later in one of the other SRM threads. But for those curious.

Just ride ..