Tommasini Mach Complete Bike Weight

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
hb2
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm

by hb2

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have read from afar for many years. I recently got into cycling after a long "career" of ultra distance running. I'm 48 and not a racer by any stretch, and have started doing longer rides. I'm on a Colnago C60 (Campy Record, Bora One 35s) and I do love the bike. However, I'm limited to 23c tires, clincher brakes, and I've never been quite happy with the shifting so changing out the entire groupset may be on the radar. However, I'm leaning toward cutting my losses and getting something that will allow for what the C60 will not - and I've been looking at a Tommasini Mach, which is a titanium bike. I had a Litespeed Ti many years ago and loved the ride.

My question, which I haven't been able to answer on the inter web, is what I'd be looking at for weight for a complete bike and I'm hoping someone out there can share their weight and specs. I saw one website that said the frame alone was 1500 grams (!) which seems crazy. My C60 is considered heavy at just over 1000 grams and my full build is 16 lbs. For long distance riding, I'm not looking to go below 16 lbs, but I live in Colorado and do a lot of climbing in the mountains - so I also don't want an 18 lb bike :)

Thanks in advance!

hb2

by Weenie


morganb
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

by morganb

hb2 wrote:Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have read from afar for many years. I recently got into cycling after a long "career" of ultra distance running. I'm 48 and not a racer by any stretch, and have started doing longer rides. I'm on a Colnago C60 (Campy Record, Bora One 35s) and I do love the bike. However, I'm limited to 23c tires, clincher brakes, and I've never been quite happy with the shifting so changing out the entire groupset may be on the radar. However, I'm leaning toward cutting my losses and getting something that will allow for what the C60 will not - and I've been looking at a Tommasini Mach, which is a titanium bike. I had a Litespeed Ti many years ago and loved the ride.

My question, which I haven't been able to answer on the inter web, is what I'd be looking at for weight for a complete bike and I'm hoping someone out there can share their weight and specs. I saw one website that said the frame alone was 1500 grams (!) which seems crazy. My C60 is considered heavy at just over 1000 grams and my full build is 16 lbs. For long distance riding, I'm not looking to go below 16 lbs, but I live in Colorado and do a lot of climbing in the mountains - so I also don't want an 18 lb bike :)

Thanks in advance!

hb2

My steel bike was around 1550g for the frame, and I have it at 17lbs with aluminum clinchers (1480g), mechanical Dura Ace, and nothing exotic (maybe the tune headset but even that isn't ultra light). You should be able to get to 16lb or lighter at that frame weight if you are willing to go with light bars/stem/seatpost/wheels.

User avatar
tommasini
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:48 am
Location: Central USA
Contact:

by tommasini

I can't speak to the weight of a Ti Tommasini.....but 1500 grams for a (solid) rim brake Ti frameset sounds in the ball park. Tommasini doesn't shoot for lightest - rather a good combination of attributes......such as what Colnago is also known for.

For help on your complete bike weight - you'll need to let everyone know if you are looking to stick with rim brakes or go with disc (the later will add about another pound to frame/component total weight) and what component group you might consider - e.g. going with chorus/ultregra over the next higher level group will add weight, going with ultrega disc versus dura ace disc is even more of a penalty.....etc.

Further on your issue with happiness with the Record shifting.........perhaps try another shop in the area.....someone who can help dial it in.

(attached carbon Tommasini is 14.2 lbs with pedals........and loves being driven hard in the Colorado mountains when I get out that way)
Attachments
IMG_1834 Low Resolution for Internet.JPG

hb2
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm

by hb2

Thanks for the feedback. We've tried everything with the shifting, including lots of convos with Campy, and it never gets where it needs to be. For the Tommasini, I am thinking Zipp 303 NSW Disc, and either Dura Ace Di2 or Record EPS. In any case, it'll definitely be a disc bike. Also, cockpit likely all carbon.

tommasini wrote:I can't speak to the weight of a Ti Tommasini.....but 1500 grams for a (solid) rim brake Ti frameset sounds in the ball park. Tommasini doesn't shoot for lightest - rather a good combination of attributes......such as what Colnago is also known for.

For help on your complete bike weight - you'll need to let everyone know if you are looking to stick with rim brakes or go with disc (the later will add about another pound to frame/component total weight) and what component group you might consider - e.g. going with chorus/ultregra over the next higher level group will add weight, going with ultrega disc versus dura ace disc is even more of a penalty.....etc.

Further on your issue with happiness with the Record shifting.........perhaps try another shop in the area.....someone who can help dial it in.

(attached carbon Tommasini is 14.2 lbs with pedals........and loves being driven hard in the Colorado mountains when I get out that way)

User avatar
tommasini
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:48 am
Location: Central USA
Contact:

by tommasini

BTW - the C60 is known as having a great ride feel........if getting to wider tires is one of the initial primary goals, I'll, ask if your Bora's are the newer 24mm or the older 20mm version. If you are trying to run 25mm clincher tires on the narrow version the tires will "bulb" out and up. My guess is that the "up" is what could make clearances an issue. If you run the wider rims (24mm) .....there are various threads here suggesting you can expect good clearances for the C60 with wider tire/rim combos.

hb2
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm

by hb2

Yes, they are the newer, 24mm rims. I will take a look again but I don't see 25c's working. And, of course, I want to run 28's anyway :)

tommasini wrote:BTW - the C60 is known as having a great ride feel........if getting to wider tires is one of the initial primary goals, I'll, ask if your Bora's are the newer 24mm or the older 20mm version. If you are trying to run 25mm clincher tires on the narrow version the tires will "bulb" out and up. My guess is that the "up" is what could make clearances an issue. If you run the wider rims (24mm) .....there are various threads here suggesting you can expect good clearances for the C60 with wider tire/rim combos.

Zakalwe
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:15 pm

by Zakalwe

What tyres are you on? There’s enough clearance on a C60 for 25mm tubs, some brands come up larger than others though, especially clinchers

hb2
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm

by hb2

I was on Vittoria Corsas but was getting flats far too often. I switched to Continental GP 4 Seasons recently though for something thicker.

Zakalwe wrote:What tyres are you on? There’s enough clearance on a C60 for 25mm tubs, some brands come up larger than others though, especially clinchers

hb2
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:42 pm

by hb2

Just for grins, I've entered ballpark weights for everything except pedals ... am i missing anything?

groupset Dura Ace 9170 di2 Disc 2389
wheelset Zipp 303 NSW 1530
frame Tommasini Mach Disc 1600
fork Tommasini (not sure) 500
handlebars just an example weight 250
stem just an example weight 150
tape just an example weight 50
seatpost just an example weight 225
seat just an example weight 300
tires Zipp tubeless 604
grams 7598
pounds 16.75072267

Zakalwe
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:15 pm

by Zakalwe

Saddle, pedals, bottle cages etc

User avatar
prendrefeu
Posts: 8581
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Contact:

by prendrefeu

It's a good idea to invest in a hanging scale and one table-top scale (with at least .1g precision, ideally .01g) to verify the weights of your components.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jemima
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Perth

by jemima

hb2 wrote:Just for grins, I've entered ballpark weights for everything except pedals ... am i missing anything?

groupset Dura Ace 9170 di2 Disc 2389
wheelset Zipp 303 NSW 1530
frame Tommasini Mach Disc 1600
fork Tommasini (not sure) 500
handlebars just an example weight 250
stem just an example weight 150
tape just an example weight 50
seatpost just an example weight 225
seat just an example weight 300
tires Zipp tubeless 604
grams 7598
pounds 16.75072267


Quick read through your list, there's any easy 600gm drop: wheels, bars, stem, post, saddle > 7kg

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

hb2 wrote:I was on Vittoria Corsas but was getting flats far too often. I switched to Continental GP 4 Seasons recently though for something thicker.

Zakalwe wrote:What tyres are you on? There’s enough clearance on a C60 for 25mm tubs, some brands come up larger than others though, especially clinchers


The GP 4 seasons are quite stiff (like the GP4 2k). I switched 2 years ago from Vittoria (open Corsa) to Veloflex Corsa and I am quite happy with the Veloflex. Lighter, very smooth and good puncture resistance compared to the Vittoria. I was told however that the Vittoria Open Corsa G+ are much better than the non G+. I am also riding a C60. Either 23/25mm or 25/25mm depending in the wheelset (Lightweight Meilenstein, Bora 50 Ultra, Bora 50 One, Fulcrum Zero Nite, Fulcrum Zero).

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 3374
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

As I have never had a campagnolo groups etc that has never shifted worse than perfect so long as it is set up right I struggle to see why yours is different. Is the c60 dropout/hanger/chainset at length on the limit or outside campagnolo specifications for the rear derailleur. If you can only fit 23mm tyres then maybe the stays are too short leading to more extreme chainline and front mech cage rubbing. It really depends on what you class as an issue.

axiom
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 pm
Location: South of Spain.

by axiom

tommasini wrote:I can't speak to the weight of a Ti Tommasini.....but 1500 grams for a (solid) rim brake Ti frameset sounds in the ball park. Tommasini doesn't shoot for lightest - rather a good combination of attributes......such as what Colnago is also known for.

For help on your complete bike weight - you'll need to let everyone know if you are looking to stick with rim brakes or go with disc (the later will add about another pound to frame/component total weight) and what component group you might consider - e.g. going with chorus/ultregra over the next higher level group will add weight, going with ultrega disc versus dura ace disc is even more of a penalty.....etc.

Further on your issue with happiness with the Record shifting.........perhaps try another shop in the area.....someone who can help dial it in.

(attached carbon Tommasini is 14.2 lbs with pedals........and loves being driven hard in the Colorado mountains when I get out that way)

Ask to Barabar from Tommasini Grosseto Italia www.tommasini.it

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post