Build Ideas for trial of 1x Road Set-Up

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

minorsubplot

by minorsubplot

I’m interested in giving 1x a shot. In the past, I’ve had (painful) issues throwing chains during sprints on numerous bikes/builds from various mechanics.

I have just a few parts lying around and am looking for suggestions on a build for crits, JRA, and flats/rolling hills.

Existing parts: 6800 crankset, 11-28 and 12-25 Shimano cassettes, Sl-70 aero bars; Hed jet 6+ wheels.

Needs(?): Sram 1x rear derailleur (medium length cage?); 1x chainring for the ultegra crank (wolf tooth to be able to use existing cranks?); Sram 1x shifters; chain; brakes.

Enlighten me please on your ideas and preferences. Do the wolf tooth rings work as well as the Sram x sync rings?

Also, if you have any ideas for a good base frame or know of where I could pick one up, let me know. I’m roughly somewhere between 56-58 for most companies. Stack somewhere from 560-580 and reach from around 385-405 is probably doable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I'm running on 1x on 4 or 5 bikes and have experimented quite a bit. Here's my input:

Minimum: Narow wide chainring (between 46 and 52 in your case) on your current setup. Use http://ritzelrechner.de/ for gearing. Just mount the chainring, take off the front mech and go ride, you'll be fine.

You DON'T need a clutch / 1x specific rear mech for 1x. I used to run *without* clutch on my MTB initially, and didn't drop a chain.

You only need SRAM 1x mechs for: 36t and 42t cassettes or for seriously bumpy rides (CX races, very rough gravel).

I am running regular SRAM 2x10/11 levers on most of my builds, I just take off the left shift lever - 1 minute job and easily reversible. You can take out the cable drum & ratchets too to save a few grams - then you have exactly the same left lever as the one SRAM sells you for 1x.

I have lots of 1x chainrings (28, 30, 32, 36, 40, 42, 46, 50) from different brands, Wolf tooth and Garbaruk rings work very well, SRAM too. 2 cheaper ebay chainrings I have are noisy at higher chain angles.

BTW, my next 1x build will be an FM-066 with etap Wifli with a 9-32 3t bailout cassette and a blip setup so I can add clip-ons with shift buttons :D

minorsubplot

by minorsubplot

Thanks for the tip on the shifters. I’ll look for a bargain set used.

The clutch is the main reason I want to build a project bike because each of my chain drop/throws was on perfectly smooth roads while sprinting. Have you been able to notice any appreciable benefit to having it or not having it?

gospastic

by gospastic

What kind of chainring were you using when you threw your chain?

minorsubplot

by minorsubplot

gospastic wrote:What kind of chainring were you using when you threw your chain?

On several different bikes: Shimano 5800, 6800, and Praxis: each time more painful than the last. Ultegra chains and 5800 and 6800 rear derailleurs.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I have lost chain on my roadbike on roadrace. Race was done, because I could not catch the bunch.
Garbaruk oval 48T
Shimano RD-6800.
It was on the descent, when freewheeling and probably hitting a hole on the road.
My suggestion is to use chainguide if not using clutch rear mech. For example Woltooth: https://r2-bike.com/WOLFTOOTH-Chainguid ... e-on-Mount
I have this on my CX bike. So far pleased.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

minorsubplot

by minorsubplot

rainerhq wrote:I have lost chain on my roadbike on roadrace. Race was done, because I could not catch the bunch.
Garbaruk oval 48T
Shimano RD-6800.
It was on the descent, when freewheeling and probably hitting a hole on the road.
My suggestion is to use chainguide if not using clutch rear mech. For example Woltooth: https://r2-bike.com/WOLFTOOTH-Chainguid ... e-on-Mount
I have this on my CX bike. So far pleased.

Solid. If I'm honest with myself, this project is just as much about reducing the psychological impediment I now have to standing up and cranking down as it is about the fun of another build. A chainkeeper like that seems like a good idea.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have been on 1x11 since Feb this year. I use a garbaruk 52T narrow wide oval ring and campagnolo record 1 speed everything else. It works fine but in the lowest gear there is more chain noise. I can move the chainring in bit with spacers and i must do that. Otherwise 1x11 has been great.

minorsubplot

by minorsubplot

Are there any clutch rear deraileurs other than sram that would work on road? Looks like some people have done shimano’s Mountain di2 derailleur: anything else?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Shimano MTB clutch der and Wolftooth Tanpan, so you can use road shifters.
https://r2-bike.com/WOLFTOOTH-Adapter-T ... -Cassettes
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

you dont need a clucth mech. I did the strada bianchi ride on my 1x11 setup with campy rear mech the chain did not drop.