Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm
Posts: 1313
Hi,

What is the difference between the CS-R9100 Dura Ace and the CS-R8000 Ultegra cassettes besides the lower weight of the Dura Ace?

(as the price difference between the CS-R8000 Ultegra and the CS-R9100 Dura Ace cassette is quite significant, I am considering using the R8000 cassettes instead of the R9100 on my Dura Ace gruppo).


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:10 pm
Posts: 74
There appear to be a few differences - DA has the largest 5 cogs made from titanium and held together with a carbon reinforced plastic spider.

Ultegra cogs are all nickel plated steel. The outer spider is alloy but the next one might be carbon - I’ve seen both in descriptions.

So. The DA is over twice the price, about 60g lighter, has carbon spiders and titanium cogs.

It is lighter but the main disadvantage is that the titanium cogs will wear much faster.

As a wear part unless you’ve got loads of money it makes sense to me to use the Ultegra cassette.

_________________
I'm left handed, if that matters.


Top
   
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:05 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 845
kdawg wrote:
There appear to be a few differences - DA has the largest 5 cogs made from titanium and held together with a carbon reinforced plastic spider.

Ultegra cogs are all nickel plated steel. The outer spider is alloy but the next one might be carbon - I’ve seen both in descriptions.

So. The DA is over twice the price, about 60g lighter, has carbon spiders and titanium cogs.

It is lighter but the main disadvantage is that the titanium cogs will wear much faster.

As a wear part unless you’ve got loads of money it makes sense to me to use the Ultegra cassette.



This! Plus : DA cassettes tend to creak (or break, in worst case). Don't know if this still applies to the newest DA cassettes.

_________________
Current bikes:
Scott Addict Premium Disc 2018
Scott Addict Orica Greenedge 2015

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 am 
Offline
in the industry

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:32 pm
Posts: 193
About a decade ago I made a $/gram spreadsheet and the Dura-Ace titanium cassette eventually became the most economical way to save weight on my cyclo-cross bike. So I installed it.

I expected the ti cogs to wear but to my surprise, it lasted through 5 wet, muddy cross seasons (including training on and off road) and still hadn't worn out. I no longer fear worn Dura-Ace cogs, and they do save significant weight.

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." -Ferris Bueller

_________________
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 pm
Posts: 1
Just installed the CS-R8000 on my Di2 9070 build and it's excellent--the savings and better durability is worth it. The chain I'm using is a KMC X11SL DLC...cheapest I found was at Amazon, $78-91 depending on color.

https://www.amazon.com/KMC-X11SL-Speed- ... B00HLA6OES


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 am
Posts: 669
kdawg wrote:
It is lighter but the main disadvantage is that the titanium cogs will wear much faster.


Nonsense. I've had a few cassettes with titanium cogs over the years. They lasted just fine. The titanium cogs are the large cogs on a cassette. I rarely ride in the large cogs. Big chainring and large (titanium) cogs is equal to small chainring and small (steel) cogs. Learn to shift your gears and you will spend very little time in the titanium cogs. Even in hilly terrain, you spend a small percentage of the time in the small chainring and big cogs. The uphill where you use the big cogs (titanium) is a pretty small percentage.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:29 pm
Posts: 425
Keeping a fresh chain on there will likely play a bigger role in extending the life of the cassette than the material of the cogs themselves (the exception being aluminum cassettes, because them seem to suck no matter what). When running a super high end (expensive) cassette, if maximizing the lifespan is your goal, it can make sense to do that whole routine where you also purchase 3-4 chains at the same time, and keep rotating between them so that you stay in the chain wear sweetspot for longer.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm
Posts: 1077
TheKaiser wrote:
Keeping a fresh chain on there will likely play a bigger role in extending the life of the cassette than the material of the cogs themselves (the exception being aluminum cassettes, because them seem to suck no matter what). When running a super high end (expensive) cassette, if maximizing the lifespan is your goal, it can make sense to do that whole routine where you also purchase 3-4 chains at the same time, and keep rotating between them so that you stay in the chain wear sweetspot for longer.


agreed. i have had no issues with worn cassettes. keeping the chain clean and replace more often is what's extended my cassettes.

_________________
- AX Lightness Vial EVO D + DA9070 + Enve SES 3.4 carbon hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9070 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 6.7 CK hubs
- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:10 pm
Posts: 74
RussellS wrote:
kdawg wrote:
It is lighter but the main disadvantage is that the titanium cogs will wear much faster.


Nonsense. I've had a few cassettes with titanium cogs over the years. They lasted just fine. The titanium cogs are the large cogs on a cassette. I rarely ride in the large cogs. Big chainring and large (titanium) cogs is equal to small chainring and small (steel) cogs. Learn to shift your gears and you will spend very little time in the titanium cogs. Even in hilly terrain, you spend a small percentage of the time in the small chainring and big cogs. The uphill where you use the big cogs (titanium) is a pretty small percentage.


I mean that’s true - but we’re comparing the same cogs (ie only the bigger end of the cassette as you said) and while it’s true that you’ll spend more time in the middle of the cassette (ie steel cogs) it’s also true that the titanium cogs will wear faster than they would if they were the steel ones. They might last long enough that you’re satisfied - but I only said that they’ll wear faster than the cheaper cassette.

Anyway, I just answered the question and gave my opinion as to what I would do. I don’t have a single DA item - 100% Ultegra on best bike, Ultegra/105 mix on the next, Ultegra 6600 on my SS, and I’m pretty sure there might be a Tiagra cassette on one pair of wheels...

_________________
I'm left handed, if that matters.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:43 am
Posts: 94
TonyM wrote:
Hi,

What is the difference between the CS-R9100 Dura Ace and the CS-R8000 Ultegra cassettes besides the lower weight of the Dura Ace?

(as the price difference between the CS-R8000 Ultegra and the CS-R9100 Dura Ace cassette is quite significant, I am considering using the R8000 cassettes instead of the R9100 on my Dura Ace gruppo).


If you are going to train on this bike with training wheels use the Ultegra.
If you are going to race with these wheels only, use the DA for maximum weight savings.
If you use the DA for training and every day ride, it will last less than the ultegra under the same conditions because of the Ti cogs.
Honestly 60gm are not going to make you faster my friend. Although if low weight bragging rights is what you seek by all means get the DA.
I used the DA on the racing wheels. Ultegra training wheels. After a while I just used ultegra all around. For me the weight savings of 60gm was a piss on a race. Also the price difference is significant.
Bottom line ultegra cogs will last longer than DA cogs under the same conditions. Also if you are a heavier rider you will eat the DA ones faster.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:43 am
Posts: 94
Keeping the chain clean is paramount. Once a week cleaning for 200-300 miles per week is enough. Use the park tool or any other cleaning contraption. I use lighter fluid for cleaning or very strong simply green.
Get a chain wear meter. Very useful Cheap piece of metal that will tell you when the chain is at 75% wear.
Get the pro link lube. It will last you about a week(200-300 miles) after you clean the chain at the beginning of the week.
If you want to make it last even longer, if you get a dirty ride or a wet one. Clean the chain with a rag and apply the pro link before te next ride. Don't apply it right before the ride because it will stay sticky and you will grab more dirt. Do it right after your ride.
These are my tricks and my cassettes last about 1 year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Only one year!? With all that love and care? Mind you 300 miles a week will get through anything pretty quickly.

_________________
:hello:
B'twin Triban 540 (weight: :oops: )
Vitus "Benotto" 979 (weight: :? )


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Posts: 1390
Main disadvantage to the 9100 cassette is noise- I have found that 6800/8000 cassettes run much quieter.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 pm
Posts: 879
i'm on dura ace and i always choose the ultegra cassette. difference is mostly grams, but at least on the 9000 vs 6800 iteration the ultegra cassette seems more reliable and straight forward. design is less complicated and it shows in the performance. the metal in the dura ace wears out faster too.

agree that the ultegra design is less prone to creaking. its a no brainer as far as i'm concerned.

_________________
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Trek 5200(ultegra)


Top
   
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:22 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:18 am
Posts: 8
charlieboy52000 wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Hi,

What is the difference between the CS-R9100 Dura Ace and the CS-R8000 Ultegra cassettes besides the lower weight of the Dura Ace?

(as the price difference between the CS-R8000 Ultegra and the CS-R9100 Dura Ace cassette is quite significant, I am considering using the R8000 cassettes instead of the R9100 on my Dura Ace gruppo).


If you are going to train on this bike with training wheels use the Ultegra.
If you are going to race with these wheels only, use the DA for maximum weight savings.
If you use the DA for training and every day ride, it will last less than the ultegra under the same conditions because of the Ti cogs.
Honestly 60gm are not going to make you faster my friend. Although if low weight bragging rights is what you seek by all means get the DA.
I used the DA on the racing wheels. Ultegra training wheels. After a while I just used ultegra all around. For me the weight savings of 60gm was a piss on a race. Also the price difference is significant.
Bottom line ultegra cogs will last longer than DA cogs under the same conditions. Also if you are a heavier rider you will eat the DA ones faster.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a DA 9000 cassette break on the titanium cogs but it was a few years old so I can’t really complain. I just got a new bike with 9150 and it’s awesome. I might go Ultegra on my gravel bike though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. First photo of Ultegra R8000 chainset/crankset?

in Road

phlip

2

1364

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:13 am

fromtrektocolnago View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Ultegra R8000 bluetooth connectivity problem

in Road

Ivan

14

955

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:22 pm

aaric View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. DA 9100 mechanical vs Ultegra Di2 R8000 - Build Advice

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

SilentDrone

31

2278

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Hamfist View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 STI Lever bad clamp

in Road

uraqt

2

486

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:02 am

uraqt View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dura Ace Di2 9170 and Ultegra Di2 8070 mix?

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

TonyM

15

1312

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:55 pm

MoreRideTime View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alex2012, beanbiken, silvalis and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited