Tarmac SL6, Madone 9, F10, or SLR01 Disc...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mile2424

by mile2424

I know kinda different options here, but trying to decide between one of these. Currently have a Venge Vias, and looking for something new. Would like to transfer over my existing Di2 and Roval CLX64 wheels. Also would likely be custom painting the frame, and would be aftermarket and not from P1, My Way, etc.

The new Tarmac has great reviews. Aesthetically don't love the smaller tubes and exposed cables but think it can look really nice with the right paint on there like the Sagan Superstar and in my size 56. Would be easy to swap old parts over.

The Madone 9 looks great and I have ridden one. It's very fast and comfortable, but maybe becoming slightly old tech now. Di2 would be easy to swap over but not sure if Roval Wheels on a Trek is blasphemy.

The F10 performance seems to speak for itself. I have never ridden one. I do like the aesthetic looks of this one. Again, Di2 would be easy to swap over but not sure how the Roval wheels would look on an Italian frame.

I saw the new SLR01 disc in person the other day but have not ridden. It's the most streamlined disc bike I have seen with the cable routing, integrated cockpit etc. Not sure if I can change the hubs on my existing Rovals to work with disc, and again, Roval's on a BMC?

I am by no means a racer, just like the engineering and aesthetics of the bike itself, and want to design a nice paint scheme to go with it. I mostly do rolling hills and like a fast bike.

Thoughts or opinions?
Last edited by mile2424 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

Where did you see a BMC TMR01 Disk ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

mile2424

by mile2424

sorry for the typo, meant SLR01

jlok

by jlok

Get the Tarmac Sagan Superstar. It's the only bike that is "compatible" with your Roval wheels (but I use mine on Giant TCR ;).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

angrylegs

by angrylegs

mile2424 wrote:I mostly do rolling hills and like a fast bike.

Thoughts or opinions?

Get the Madone.

ichobi

by ichobi

Madone 9 is old tech?! Nah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

Not sure if I can change the hubs on my existing Rovals to work with disc

You can not convert rim brake hubs to disc brake.

MXGimp

by MXGimp

My vote is for the Madone 9.....absoutely love mine. For being an "aero" bike it is crazy compliant.

queloque67

by queloque67

I think with your stance on having Roval wheels your decision should be easier. Sounds like the Tarmac is the winner. :)

mile2424

by mile2424

I should say it's a nice to have, but not a must have on the Roval's. Leaning towards the Tarmac or the Madone.

queloque67

by queloque67

I was in a similar boat.
I figured I already have an aero bike (Cervelo s3) why not go with the Tarmac Ultralight. So that is the choice I ran with.

ALS

by ALS

F8 owner so take this with a pinch of salt but I,d chooose F10.... great all rounder, 13 sizes, threaded BB

MRM

by MRM

You can use your Roval wheels on all of those bikes. They are completely understated and work with any bike outside of round tube classic bikes for which they are probably too deep.

I'd go for the Dogma F10 if I were you. I recently rode one and it is really nice. Control Tech and PRO now as well afaik have brought out stem handlebar combos that are completely internal with no visible cables (on disk brake bikes). So you should be able to build up a Dogma F10 disk without visible cables and keep the visual aesthetic of the Venge Vias. That is what I intend to do down the road as well.

Edit: Ah I misread. You don't already have a disk brake wheelset. Then there isn't really an advantage to go that route. Would still recommend the Dogma though. One thing to remember on the dogma though is the geometry is really aggressive. It felt considerably lower (Size 53) than my Venge Vias disk (Size 54).

TonyM

by TonyM

MRM wrote:(...)
I'd go for the Dogma F10 if I were you. I recently rode one and it is really nice. Control Tech and PRO now as well afaik have brought out stem handlebar combos that are completely internal with no visible cables (on disk brake bikes). So you should be able to build up a Dogma F10 disk without visible cables and keep the visual aesthetic of the Venge Vias. That is what I intend to do down the road as well.
(...)

Do you mean that the brakes lines and Di2 cables will be fully integrated in the bar/stem combo and they will be "less" visible or do you mean they will completely disappear like on the BMC SLR01 disc or the Giant propel (the disc brake and Di2 cables are all running inside the bar, then the stem and then inside the head tube so that no cables at all are visible) ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

IF you are going to go discs, sell your roval wheel and buy disc specific wheels. All the mfg make disc specific wheels that are not the same as non disc wheels, as they have to strengthen the wheels for the rim brakes. Look at the weights of the rims of disc wheels, all lighter than the same wheels in rim brake form.
A lot of the wheel mfg dont even bother to bring out new wheels in rim version as they know the future is in disc. There is not much R&D devoted to rim brake wheels.

I have Roval CLX 50 on my Sworks SL5. Love the wheels and run them tubeless but the braking in the dry is ok, almost non existent in the rain.

I would wait for the SL6 in disc to come out. 28 Tubeless tires at 65 PSI. You have the best of both worlds with that set up.