Shimano EW-RS910 junction box

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

I'm swapping Di2 from one bike to another and figure this would be a good time to switch to the internal junction box. Will this work with pretty much any internally routed bar? I am pretty set on Zipp SL70 Aero handlebars so would probably run another routing option if those won't work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

climber8

by climber8

morganb wrote:I'm swapping Di2 from one bike to another and figure this would be a good time to switch to the internal junction box. Will this work with pretty much any internally routed bar? I am pretty set on Zipp SL70 Aero handlebars so would probably run another routing option if those won't work.

If you'd like a more specific answer, I can tell you that it will work with the SL70 as I just installed it last week.

(I put my SL70 bars on a Tarmac SL6 UL.)

TBH, while I like the internal routing and the clean look of the inline junction vs the older-style EW-90, I'm disappointed by the ergonomics. It is hard to describe, but pushing the button to activate adjustment mode is awkward. It seems like a nit to pick (and I guess it is), but over 8 years of using Di2 (7970, 6770, 9070, 6870, 9050... and now 9150) I find that I periodically use adjust-mode during a ride. Having to push and hold this little recessed button on the bar-end just doesn't feel right.

YMMV.

Otherwise... 9150 is Di2, which is to say very, very good.

morganb

by morganb

climber8 wrote:
morganb wrote:I'm swapping Di2 from one bike to another and figure this would be a good time to switch to the internal junction box. Will this work with pretty much any internally routed bar? I am pretty set on Zipp SL70 Aero handlebars so would probably run another routing option if those won't work.

If you'd like a more specific answer, I can tell you that it will work with the SL70 as I just installed it last week.

(I put my SL70 bars on a Tarmac SL6 UL.)

TBH, while I like the internal routing and the clean look of the inline junction vs the older-style EW-90, I'm disappointed by the ergonomics. It is hard to describe, but pushing the button to activate adjustment mode is awkward. It seems like a nit to pick (and I guess it is), but over 8 years of using Di2 (7970, 6770, 9070, 6870, 9050... and now 9150) I find that I periodically use adjust-mode during a ride. Having to push and hold this little recessed button on the bar-end just doesn't feel right.

YMMV.

Otherwise... 9150 is Di2, which is to say very, very good.

Thanks, this is good to know. The video was helpful but I wanted to make sure these bars don't need any drilling and such. This is going on an Allez Sprint for now but I'm planning on an SL6 build once the disc comes out and I can try both. Do you know if its compatible with 9070? I can't see why it wouldn't be but this is being retrofitted to that system.

cpark

by cpark

FYI, you may need to upgrade the battery and the D-fly unit ( if you are using one).
I had to upgrade those two things when I changed the the junction box with my Cervelo S5 (Di2 9070).

mrlobber

by mrlobber

cpark wrote:FYI, you may need to upgrade the battery and the D-fly unit ( if you are using one).
I had to upgrade those two things when I changed the the junction box with my Cervelo S5 (Di2 9070).

I did exactly a similar change, but all components continued working correctly without any problems (only the battery, though, I'm not using D-fly). I also did a firmware upgrade across all group, again, without any problems.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

morganb

by morganb

cpark wrote:

FYI, you may need to upgrade the battery and the D-fly unit ( if you are using one).

I kept the previous gen seatpost battery and no D-fly and everything worked fine. The SL70 Aero also worked, although not by design as I had to find a void in the foam leftover from manufacturing in the clamp area of the handlebar.

egebhardt

by egebhardt

I can't justify that much money to buy the plug junction A and all the wires. I'll pass until they are $5.
Eric in San Carlos, CA

survivor

by survivor

I am currently using 9070 Di2 with the D-Fly unit. If I want to change to the bar end junction box EW-RS910 with inline wireless unit EW-WU111 and the new battery BT-DN110 with the brain for synchro shifting while retaining the existing 9070 shifters, frond derailleur and rear deraileur, is there anything else that I need to take care of for the upgrades? Thanks.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

morganb wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:32 am
I'm swapping Di2 from one bike to another and figure this would be a good time to switch to the internal junction box. Will this work with pretty much any internally routed bar? I am pretty set on Zipp SL70 Aero handlebars so would probably run another routing option if those won't work.
It won't work. My LBS mechanic tried after I waited for months to get the darn thing. I have two bikes with the same bar and they aren't completely hollow.
Last edited by tabl10s on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

tabl10s

by tabl10s

cpark wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:08 pm
New battery is mandatory.
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).

dricked

by dricked

tabl10s wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 pm
cpark wrote:
New battery is mandatory only if you want to us the D-fly unit. The old battery works fine with the new bar end junction.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

dricked wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:54 pm
tabl10s wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 pm
cpark wrote:
New battery is mandatory only if you want to us the D-fly unit. The old battery works fine with the new bar end junction.
I got everything but the new box.
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).

audiojan

by audiojan

tabl10s wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:32 pm
morganb wrote:
It won't work. My LBS mechanic tried after I waited for months to get the darn thing. I have two bikes with the same bar and they aren't completely hollow.
Actually it does work. There's a "plastic bag" in teh drops that needs to be pushed out. I used a coat hanger and a brake cable housing. Took some time, patience and a "few choice words", but finally the bag popped out enough that I could grab it with a needle nose and pull it out. Just did that exact build for a friends bike. Wiring long cable from lower junction to right shifter (wire shrink wrapped to brake housing), wire from right to left shifter, wire from left shiter to 910 junction. Super clean and neat.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabl10s

by tabl10s

audiojan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:46 pm
tabl10s wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:32 pm
morganb wrote:
Actually it does work. There's a "plastic bag" in teh drops that needs to be pushed out. I used a coat hanger and a brake cable housing. Took some time, patience and a "few choice words", but finally the bag popped out enough that I could grab it with a needle nose and pull it out. Just did that exact build for a friends bike. Wiring long cable from lower junction to right shifter (wire shrink wrapped to brake housing), wire from right to left shifter, wire from left shiter to 910 junction. Super clean and neat.
Can you show a pic of the results?
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).