Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:32 am 

I'm swapping Di2 from one bike to another and figure this would be a good time to switch to the internal junction box. Will this work with pretty much any internally routed bar? I am pretty set on Zipp SL70 Aero handlebars so would probably run another routing option if those won't work.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:32 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:16 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cON3w1IL_7k

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 am 

morganb wrote:
I'm swapping Di2 from one bike to another and figure this would be a good time to switch to the internal junction box. Will this work with pretty much any internally routed bar? I am pretty set on Zipp SL70 Aero handlebars so would probably run another routing option if those won't work.

If you'd like a more specific answer, I can tell you that it will work with the SL70 as I just installed it last week.

(I put my SL70 bars on a Tarmac SL6 UL.)

TBH, while I like the internal routing and the clean look of the inline junction vs the older-style EW-90, I'm disappointed by the ergonomics. It is hard to describe, but pushing the button to activate adjustment mode is awkward. It seems like a nit to pick (and I guess it is), but over 8 years of using Di2 (7970, 6770, 9070, 6870, 9050... and now 9150) I find that I periodically use adjust-mode during a ride. Having to push and hold this little recessed button on the bar-end just doesn't feel right.

YMMV.

Otherwise... 9150 is Di2, which is to say very, very good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am 

climber8 wrote:
morganb wrote:

If you'd like a more specific answer, I can tell you that it will work with the SL70 as I just installed it last week.

(I put my SL70 bars on a Tarmac SL6 UL.)

TBH, while I like the internal routing and the clean look of the inline junction vs the older-style EW-90, I'm disappointed by the ergonomics. It is hard to describe, but pushing the button to activate adjustment mode is awkward. It seems like a nit to pick (and I guess it is), but over 8 years of using Di2 (7970, 6770, 9070, 6870, 9050... and now 9150) I find that I periodically use adjust-mode during a ride. Having to push and hold this little recessed button on the bar-end just doesn't feel right.

YMMV.

Otherwise... 9150 is Di2, which is to say very, very good.

Thanks, this is good to know. The video was helpful but I wanted to make sure these bars don't need any drilling and such. This is going on an Allez Sprint for now but I'm planning on an SL6 build once the disc comes out and I can try both. Do you know if its compatible with 9070? I can't see why it wouldn't be but this is being retrofitted to that system.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:08 pm 

morganb wrote:

FYI, you may need to upgrade the battery and the D-fly unit ( if you are using one).
I had to upgrade those two things when I changed the the junction box with my Cervelo S5 (Di2 9070).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 pm 

cpark wrote:
FYI, you may need to upgrade the battery and the D-fly unit ( if you are using one).
I had to upgrade those two things when I changed the the junction box with my Cervelo S5 (Di2 9070).

I did exactly a similar change, but all components continued working correctly without any problems (only the battery, though, I'm not using D-fly). I also did a firmware upgrade across all group, again, without any problems.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:39 pm 

cpark wrote:
morganb wrote:

I kept the previous gen seatpost battery and no D-fly and everything worked fine. The SL70 Aero also worked, although not by design as I had to find a void in the foam leftover from manufacturing in the clamp area of the handlebar.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:24 am 

I can't justify that much money to buy the plug junction A and all the wires. I'll pass until they are $5.

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:24 am