removing printed logos from wheels??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sneeeky

by sneeeky

so i know this has been covered in a couple different topics, but there doesnt seem to be a definitive answer as to the best way of going about removing the printed logos on carbon wheels these days. please let me know what you have tried, what works and what doesnt
thanks!!

tommasini

by tommasini

Yes and no. Depends on which wheelset you are considering. Campy Bora for instance used to be easily removed decals. Then when the rims were reshaped several years ago the decals are now under the clear coat. The decals that could be removed were a simple process of getting under an edge and pulling it off followed by cleaning with the same sort of solvent you’d use to clean off tubular glue (e.g. lacquer thinner). With that example in mind let the members know what wheels are high on your list and I think you’ll get some helpful responses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

If they are "a brand" you will just reduce the resale value... if they are a brand to be embarrassed about... well, best not to purchase them in the first place. Most decals on carbon are under the lacquer, so not much you can do without damaging them

sneeeky

by sneeeky

i am specifically referring to the inkjet type like on my reynolds wheels, nothing under the clear coat. they are superficial but not stickers
thanks

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You probably can remove them with some paint/lacquer thinner and some gentle rubbing.

If not, acetone / nail polish remover will do the trick for this sort of prints. Just be careful with the fumes though.