Rain overshoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Work like a charm and they're cheap enough. Image
Using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

What is their temperature range? Are they easy to get over the shoe?

I have some Castelli Belgium Booties which I really like for when it's around 60F (15.5C) but damn, they are so hard to get on my size 46 shoes I'm ready to give them to a friend with smaller feet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I use the Velotoze up to +5 degrees with some neoprene front shoe cover behind the Velotoze. Ride up to 5 hours and no cold feet - no wet feet.

Actually easy to use but you have to get the right size (not too tight!) and respect the correct procedure mentioned in the manual.

reknop

by reknop

TonyM wrote:
AJS914 wrote:What do you guys think about waterproof socks? I saw these on Ribble:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sealskin ... #pid=37953

I tried pretty much everything last winter here, also the Sealskinz sock & overshoes, etc.....Nothing is better than velotoze 8)

One of big disadvantage of all these socks is that you cannot wear them in your (tight) summer shoes. So you end up having to use them in "larger" shoes or to have another pair of shoes; Then you can buy a "winter" shoe with Goretex etc....(which are usually not 100% waterproof).

The only disadvantage of the Velotoze is that they are not "breathable". But having said that I never had problems with cold feet even after a 5 hours rides in the rain 8)

While I was aiming for a pair of Assos raincovers, I will get me a pair of velotoze as well to see what works best for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Bondurant

by Bondurant

Broady wrote:Check out Spatz - https://www.spatzwear.com/

Local company to me, haven't tried them yet but by all accounts they're brilliant.

£80!!!!!!

They'd better be.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

The best rain overshoes are velotoze, but I found them PITA to put on after the first use. You can use talc powder to store them, but I ended up looking for a different solution after the first couple of rides. They are very for longer rides especially that they rip easily in the front after just touching the pavement / pedal.

For my shorter rides / commutes I ended up installing proper full fenders front and back, and using castelli tempesta overshoes with proper leg warmers over them. This combination worked much better than anything else.

TonyM

by TonyM

reknop wrote:
TonyM wrote:
AJS914 wrote:What do you guys think about waterproof socks? I saw these on Ribble:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sealskin ... #pid=37953

I tried pretty much everything last winter here, also the Sealskinz sock & overshoes, etc.....Nothing is better than velotoze 8)

One of big disadvantage of all these socks is that you cannot wear them in your (tight) summer shoes. So you end up having to use them in "larger" shoes or to have another pair of shoes; Then you can buy a "winter" shoe with Goretex etc....(which are usually not 100% waterproof).

The only disadvantage of the Velotoze is that they are not "breathable". But having said that I never had problems with cold feet even after a 5 hours rides in the rain 8)

While I was aiming for a pair of Assos raincovers, I will get me a pair of velotoze as well to see what works best for me.

Which Assos rain covers do you mean?
I have the Assos Fugubooties_S7 but they are better when it's cold and let's say when it might come a very light rain for 10-15 minutes but not more. They are not waterproof but only water repellant.

Broady

by Broady

Bondurant wrote:
Broady wrote:Check out Spatz - https://www.spatzwear.com/

Local company to me, haven't tried them yet but by all accounts they're brilliant.

£80!!!!!!

They'd better be.

Rapha Deep Winter and Assos Thermo are both £70+ so it's not completely out there...

As soon as the weather turns I'm going to give them a whirl anyway, couple of my riding mates are raving about them.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Are the Spatz flexible/stretchy in the ankle area? I guess they must be to accomodate for different shins etc. Are they a pita to put on? How is the fit? They do look interesting indeed!

reknop

by reknop

TonyM wrote:
reknop wrote:While I was aiming for a pair of Assos raincovers, I will get me a pair of velotoze as well to see what works best for me.

Which Assos rain covers do you mean?
I have the Assos Fugubooties_S7 but they are better when it's cold and let's say when it might come a very light rain for 10-15 minutes but not more. They are not waterproof but only water repellant.

I was aiming for the ASSOS rainBootie S7, but received pair of velotoze yesterday. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

rasmusic

by rasmusic

If you stay dry with Velotoze you have fat calves.

go4custom

by go4custom

Velotoze on the feet! Velotoze on the helmet!

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

rasmusic wrote:If you stay dry with Velotoze you have fat calves.

Tru, dat.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

keith

by keith

NorthWave Winter shoes / boots. Very good, no need for overshoes...!

My old pair did let rain in through the ankle seal in a prolonged downpour. They were destroyed when I was run over by an 85 year old driver in March. My shiny new pair of yellow ones have a tight neoprene ankle seal with no flaps or anything. They seem to have a good seal against the rain so far!

I have played around with Velotoze, they do work, but are tricky to use and are a bit delicate. I had planned to cut off most of the foot and just use the ankle seal with my original NorthWave boots. I was going to use the Velotoze ankle seal against my skin and just a bit of the foot area with the instep in place to keep it in place to stop rain getting into the boot itself, but I haven't yet done this.

The new NW shoes/boots are a bit different to my old ones, so I'll see how they perform before taking the scissors to the Velotoze!
Attachments
1.jpg
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attermann

by Attermann

Here in Denmark we have a cross over period where winter shoes are way too warm, so overshoes is necessary, I bought the sealskinz, but have only used them once.

Give some feedback on those, I own a pair off specialized, but they are too wide on the inside and run on the crank arm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com