DT Swiss QR endcaps

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Im building my bike up and have 2 sets of DT Swiss DB wheels.. one is the R32 Clincher, and the other is the 38 Tubular.. I have installed both the supplied 135mm endcaps

On the tubular version the rotors are about .75mm more inboard than the clinchers... it doesn't sound like much, but on the clincher version the rotor is very close to the post mounts...

Is there anything I can do to get a little more space on the rotor side..I don't see how I could add a washer in there to add space because the endcaps seem to be one piece

pyrahna

by pyrahna

ParisCarbon wrote:Im building my bike up and have 2 sets of DT Swiss DB wheels.. one is the R32 Clincher, and the other is the 38 Tubular.. I have installed both the supplied 135mm endcaps

On the tubular version the rotors are about .75mm more inboard than the clinchers... it doesn't sound like much, but on the clincher version the rotor is very close to the post mounts...

Is there anything I can do to get a little more space on the rotor side..I don't see how I could add a washer in there to add space because the endcaps seem to be one piece

I'm going to start off with a silly question. Are the end caps symmetrical? If not try swapping them and see how that moves the wheel. Also, is the wheel sitting in the center of the seat tube?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

From what I recall wheel is sitting the same up the middle, the spacing from the cassette lockring to the frame looks the same... Im at work now... I popped the end caps out and reset them in and they pressed fully in..

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ughh so DT Swiss mailed me back and said I am basically seeing the inherent desgin difference between a 240 and 350 hub...

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I had the same issue with my R32 DBs. I shimmed them with the centerlock washer from my other hubs to move the rotor out. You could also probably shim the endcap between the bearing and endcap.

I used the silver bit here - Image

https://novemberbicycles.com/products/c ... -pack-of-4

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ok.. i need too move the r32 rotor in.. so prob best option is thin washer between bearing and endcap to push endcap out and move rotor in...

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Good luck finding the right shim/spacer. I think the OD is more important than the ID as the OD should carry the lateral load. I think those have a 6902 bearing, so thats a 28mm OD. I'd measure you end cap. Material should probably be Stainless or Delrin. Maybe call WheelsMfg.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

The bearing dimensions are 15X28X7 width..Im wondering if I swapped it to a 15X28X8 bearing if that would be better than messing with shims... the end cap isn't going to "snap" in but its also got no where to go because its going to be held in place from the compression of the Quick Release...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Notorious issue with "3pawl" DT hubs; rotor to much outboard. I solved it using spacer between end cap and bearing. It was some copper washer grinded down to 0,65mm ( OD fitted perfectly , here small lip on endcap is your "size" ). Fitted, worked... no problems at all. For comparison Dicut rotor is more inboard than on dt350(spline) or 240 hubs.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)