Vittoria Corsa Elite tubular tire

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

I just found that bike-components.de have those tires on stock in 25mm version.

The price is almost twice cheaper then Corsa g+, and they have almost same rolling resistance:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... elite-2017

And small weight difference..

Cant find what kind of vents they use, and if i can use the same Valve extender im using with my Corsa g+ (Continental 20 mm) to be compatible with my Bora One 35.

And how old this model is? If it's too old is it possible to lost their quality just from staying in warehouse?

Second choice will be: Continental Sprinter Premium BlackChili Tubular or maybe the new Rubino Pro G+ Tubular

But i found a good reviews for this Elite, so if there is no problem with valve extension or maybe beeing too old probably want to try them...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I bought and rode the Elite 25 for a few years now on 2 wheelsets as my daily tubs.
Good tub, relatively durable, comparable to the old CX 32TPI. Casing is tough, puncture resistance is good.
On the down side I have to say 90% of the Elite ( butyl tube) I had, wich is around 5,6 of them the last 2 years, eventually punctured at the base of the valve stem, well before their "riding life end", as well as all the Vittoria Corsa CX ( latex tube) ones.
I guess this is a design or construction problem on the Vittorias. Never experienced this on all the Continental (Sprinters or Comps) tubs or Veloflex Corsas or Arenbergs.

Personnally I will go for the Sprinter 25mm on my daily riders in the future.
New Rubino tubs look interesting, but if they still have the same construction ( bulging around the valve stem or valve stem base puncture), I'm not interested in Vittoria tubs anymore...

Louis :)

3Pio

by 3Pio

LouisN wrote:I bought and rode the Elite 25 for a few years now on 2 wheelsets as my daily tubs.
Good tub, relatively durable, comparable to the old CX 32TPI. Casing is tough, puncture resistance is good.
On the down side I have to say 90% of the Elite ( butyl tube) I had, wich is around 5,6 of them the last 2 years, eventually punctured at the base of the valve stem, well before their "riding life end", as well as all the Vittoria Corsa CX ( latex tube) ones.
I guess this is a design or construction problem on the Vittorias. Never experienced this on all the Continental (Sprinters or Comps) tubs or Veloflex Corsas or Arenbergs.

Personnally I will go for the Sprinter 25mm on my daily riders in the future.
New Rubino tubs look interesting, but if they still have the same construction ( bulging around the valve stem or valve stem base puncture), I'm not interested in Vittoria tubs anymore...

I checked the Sprinter first, since they are even cheaper :), but i can find mixed reviews. Some said the quality is not constant, some are very satisfied. And also a lot of reviews with problems of valve stem puncturing :)

And about Elite Corsa? How old they are as model? And did they use removable valve core? Can i use my Continental valve extendors for my Bora One 35?

Thanks

LouisN

by LouisN

I wouldn't bother about a tubular with a few years production time, as long as they were kept in a reasonably cool place.
The valves aren't removable, but the cores are. I used my Continental valve exensions on my Elites with no problems.

3Pio

by 3Pio

LouisN wrote:I wouldn't bother about a tubular with a few years production time, as long as they were kept in a reasonably cool place.
The valves aren't removable, but the cores are. I used my Continental valve exensions on my Elites with no problems.

BTW, the bulge on the valve stem area that Corsa G+ have i fixed using Zip ties immediately after gluing and tighten as much as i can. After 24 hours drying and when i remove the zip ties, no bulge at all. So it's not a big problem.

I can see that Rubino Pro G+ are more expensive, and have even worst rolling resistance, and same weight.

And why do u think Sprinter are better then Elite Corsa? Overall feeling? Grip? Or Reliability?

LouisN

by LouisN

Personal experience here.
I never, ever had a flat on a Sprinter. I mean I pull them from the rim after 3-4000 km, and still carry them as spares, or "finish" them on my tubular Powertap rear wheel on the trainer inside during winter. I never had a Sprinter with a weird shape or defect.
They are surprisingly grippy on the wet ( I use slick ones, never bought the Gatorskin ones). Overall feel is fine. I mean if you compare them with silk handmade tubs they will feel " harsh" but compared to Elites not much difference in feel.
Twice the failures of the Elites ( on a front wheel) ended up in disastrous TT events results. The only 2 events I can say I'm responsable for ( as a "family" mechanic= 3 racers) the last 7 years. I won't rely on them ever again.

3Pio

by 3Pio

LouisN wrote:Personal experience here.
I never, ever had a flat on a Sprinter. I mean I pull them from the rim after 3-4000 km, and still carry them as spares, or "finish" them on my tubular Powertap rear wheel on the trainer inside during winter. I never had a Sprinter with a weird shape or defect.
They are surprisingly grippy on the wet ( I use slick ones, never bought the Gatorskin ones). Overall feel is fine. I mean if you compare them with silk handmade tubs they will feel " harsh" but compared to Elites not much difference in feel.
Twice the failures of the Elites ( on a front wheel) ended up in disastrous TT events results. The only 2 events I can say I'm responsable for ( as a "family" mechanic= 3 racers) the last 7 years. I won't rely on them ever again.

I decide to order Conti Sprinters, so this way to try some other brand then Vittoria im riding now (Corsa G+).

But what about compatible sealant for the Butyl inner in Sprinters? Which one will work?

In Corsa G+ i use Tufo Extreme, but there is Latex inner tubes, so not sure that it will work on Butyl as well..

LouisN

by LouisN

I never used sealant.
So can't speak about them.

3Pio

by 3Pio

LouisN wrote:I never used sealant.
So can't speak about them.

Im using after puncture :) Not before..

So how u do when u have puncture on the way?

Cell Phone or Taxi approach? :) Or spare tubular, and change it on the road?

glepore

by glepore

Sealants (all of them as far as I know) work just as well in butyl as in latex tubes.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

3Pio

by 3Pio

glepore wrote:Sealants (all of them as far as I know) work just as well in butyl as in latex tubes.

I just finished my order and ordered: Tufo Extreme and Continental Revo for a test...

I had a nice experience with Tufo until now (except beeing dry sitting in oppened bottle)

But not something ill worry about since is cheap.

Wondering how will be with Conti Revo

3Pio

by 3Pio

I got the Conti Sprinter today. Much heavier then declared: One tire is 303 gm, the other one is 313 gm. Much more then declared 280gm...

Anyway, at least i hope they wont puncture and will be reliable.. But it's few months from testing them :)

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I ride Sprinters 90% of the time, never a puncture. Was planning on trying the 25mm this season but rode clinchers all year (Vittoria Corsas funny enough). Anyway, given the price you should be happy with them.

kgt

by kgt

I am a fan of the Continental Sprinters as well. Not the most sublime tire but when considering its ride quality*puncture resistance it comes at the very top. They come cheap too (36-44 euros).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

kgt wrote:I am a fan of the Continental Sprinters as well. Not the most sublime tire but when considering its ride quality*puncture resistance it comes at the very top. They come cheap too (36-44 euros).

mellowJohnny wrote:I ride Sprinters 90% of the time, never a puncture. Was planning on trying the 25mm this season but rode clinchers all year (Vittoria Corsas funny enough). Anyway, given the price you should be happy with them.

Seem that this is best buy tire consider price and everything else.. I'll have to wait few months until i rode it, so if im satisfied, i found my everyday tire :)

Thanks