Campagnolo 80th groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Just saw the Campagnolo 80th anniversary groupset and wheels at LBS.....nice fancy bling.

Anyone actually riding theirs?

pretty expensive groupset but very nice.

http://anniversary.campagnolo.com/en/anniversary
Attachments
campy_anniversary2_th.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

It's just a 2014 Super Record group at twice the price. I'd reserve those fancy decals for show bikes.

kgt

by kgt

Beautiful groupset, it would look really nice on a classy Italian frame IMO. Certainly not something I would like to see on any frame.

wilwil

by wilwil

Friend has it and looks nasty.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

hasnt got any better with age.

Campag's best when it does subtle.
Official cafe stop tester

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

Love the color. And those were the last of the pretty cranks

davidebainchi123

by davidebainchi123

I had one on my C 60 ( i sold it with the group set too). Groupset is nice and as someone said before it is an old style super record with lovely Matt finish and in my opinion lovely stickers .

joe1234

by joe1234

I have one with Bora Ultra wheels. Number 643. Only 4 000 sets have been produced. The finish is superb.

15 000 sets for the edition of 1983 (50th anniversary).

I'm not riding theirs...Maybe one day I put them on my new Guru Praemio titanium frame....

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Figured I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one.

Now that the 80th anniversary groupset is a bit old it has come down a lot in price. I don't think I'd put it on a new build, however, I would consider getting it and putting it on my old Trek. I think that the old style 5-arm crank would suit my older rig as its tubes are on the skinny size and, well, it's just an old bike. So I think the aesthetics might work well.

As for performance, would shifting be the same as the current 11 speed Campagnolo groups? (I know, I know, there's 12 speed now, I'm just not in the market for that.) I.e. same tactile feel, same 'feel' as it were? At the very least, I don't imagine there would be any problems with switching out wheels/cassettes with my newer Cipollini--but correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to Campagnolo.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It’s the same as 2014, so just prior to the latest 11sp stuff. 5 arm crank, and the front derailleur is more simplistic in its operation and setup. And the rear derailleur is pretty but doesn’t have as much wrap or “embrace” as the 2015+ stuff. The finish is a smooth matte and it’s gorgeous and feels super nice to the touch. I have it on my EPQ.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Thanks Calnago, that definitely makes me lean toward getting it. I still see a Colnago in my future (I hope!) its just a shame they’re no longer doing trad geo. I’m considering putting either 80th Anniversary or 2015+ Chorus on my Trek.

Chorus would be cheaper, but the 80th Anniversary edition would go well with a trad C60 if I find one, or a trad geo titanium if I go that route. I don’t have any immediate build plans other than possible Trek refresh, about which I’ll start a separate thread, but I’m seriously considering getting one or two 11 speed groups while I can for future builds.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@Calnago
A few questions for you. Bear with me as they’re interrelated. But as I have a penchant for detail like yourself, I’m confident that you’re the expert I should be asking.

It appears that the edition I’m eyeing has a clamp on front derailleur. Two options actually, either 32mm or 35mm. First, is it possible to convert a clamp on to a braze on? If so, is it straightforward and something that knowledgeable Campagnolo mechanics could do, or would it be better and easier to source a separate front derailleur?

Second, since the 80th Anniversary edition is only sold in sets (and I assume that I won’t be able to find a matching braze on front derailleur by itself), is this groupset compatible with newer 2015+ front derailleurs, or would I need to find a 2014 series?

Third, the crank arms are correct length for me at 175mm but it seems it’s has compact chain rings. I’m assuming I could just swap those out for 53 39, but is there anything different or unique about them that would preclude me from sourcing regular SR or R 5-arm chain rings?

Finally, even if it’s not possible to convert clamp on to braze on, I’m still interested in the set because I think it would look really elegant on a size 61 C60 or else on an Italian Ti frame like Passoni. I do love my old Trek but the more I think about it the more I’m inclined to use a gruppo like this for a traditional titanium frame. Classic 5 arm design may not be quite as stiff as newer cranks, but you can’t argue with aesthetics. And if it doesn’t work out, well, the latest generation 11 speed would still be quite nice, no more expensive than the 80th Anniversary edition, and 100% compatible with my current build (re cassettes on wheels, etc).

PS I had a look at your EPQ again and it’s quite stunning, as are all of your bikes. I’ve been a fan of your work for years now :D

morrisond

by morrisond

Where have you seen that the prices have come down a lot?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MiddMan wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:17 pm
@Calnago
A few questions for you. Bear with me as they’re interrelated. But as I have a penchant for detail like yourself, I’m confident that you’re the expert I should be asking.

It appears that the edition I’m eyeing has a clamp on front derailleur. Two options actually, either 32mm or 35mm. First, is it possible to convert a clamp on to a braze on? If so, is it straightforward and something that knowledgeable Campagnolo mechanics could do, or would it be better and easier to source a separate front derailleur?

Second, since the 80th Anniversary edition is only sold in sets (and I assume that I won’t be able to find a matching braze on front derailleur by itself), is this groupset compatible with newer 2015+ front derailleurs, or would I need to find a 2014 series?

Third, the crank arms are correct length for me at 175mm but it seems it’s has compact chain rings. I’m assuming I could just swap those out for 53 39, but is there anything different or unique about them that would preclude me from sourcing regular SR or R 5-arm chain rings?

Finally, even if it’s not possible to convert clamp on to braze on, I’m still interested in the set because I think it would look really elegant on a size 61 C60 or else on an Italian Ti frame like Passoni. I do love my old Trek but the more I think about it the more I’m inclined to use a gruppo like this for a traditional titanium frame. Classic 5 arm design may not be quite as stiff as newer cranks, but you can’t argue with aesthetics. And if it doesn’t work out, well, the latest generation 11 speed would still be quite nice, no more expensive than the 80th Anniversary edition, and 100% compatible with my current build (re cassettes on wheels, etc).

PS I had a look at your EPQ again and it’s quite stunning, as are all of your bikes. I’ve been a fan of your work for years now :D
Re the brazeon/band clamp... sheesh... i just can't remember off the top of my head, but if i recall it was a pretty simple thing to just add or subtract the clamp itself, without needing a whole new derailleur. I'm going to guess it is, but I may be mixing it up with Shimano. I know I've done this way back when (around 2000), but I forget the details now. Sorry. I bet for sure Graeme would know off the top of his head.

As for the 2015+ compatibility, no, it is not compatible. 2015+ has a quite different geometry with the longer arm etc. Your bigger issue may be the rings... at that point in time there was only standard rings (39/53) and compact (34/50). And each of those had their own crank (i.e., holes in different places, thus you were unable to use compact rings on a standard crank or vice versa. When the 4 arm crank was released, along with the midcompact (36/52), there was only one crank spec (aside from differnt length crankarms), and this crank would accommodate all the different ring combos.

I had a quick look around my garage for the clamp derailleur I'm thinking about, but couldn't quickly locate it. I will keep an eye out and if I come across it or my memory improves, I'll come back and post here.

And thanks for liking my builds etc.,
Cal
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

joe1234

by joe1234

The finishing of the gruppo and the wheels 80th anniversary are fantastic!!! 8)

I have a brand NEW wheels 80th anniversary for sale. :D
Attachments
fuji 014.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com