Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 pm 

I'm in the process of getting a new bike built up, and was thinking about the stem and bars, when I saw this picture and immediately fell in love....

I have a confession. Whilst I am a weight weenie, and have been since the CNC machines hit the mountain bike scene in the early 90's, I hate cables even more than I hate excess weight in a bike.

I understand the need for internal cable integration in the bars. What stems will allow me to route the cables through and into the frame direct? Shimano Pro are one, but would rather not go with the big S if possible. Are there any others??

Thanks for helping!

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm 

murphyk wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a new bike built up, and was thinking about the stem and bars, when I saw this picture and immediately fell in love....

I have a confession. Whilst I am a weight weenie, and have been since the CNC machines hit the mountain bike scene in the early 90's, I hate cables even more than I hate excess weight in a bike.

I understand the need for internal cable integration in the bars. What stems will allow me to route the cables through and into the frame direct? Shimano Pro are one, but would rather not go with the big S if possible. Are there any others??

Thanks for helping!

I'm pretty sure that's the xxx one piece bar and stem by Bontrager.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm 

You understand that the bike pictured has a slotted steerer tube, compression ring, and special spacers to allow the the housing to enter the frame through the stem right there. You can run bars with internal housing but they exit under the bar pretty much where regular wrapped bars housing exits so it will still show.
If you find a stem with internal routing, how are you going to get the housing by the headset? Also, that is not the triple x bar and stem. That is the Madone 9 specific bar/stem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:56 pm 

also, if you have regular brakes up front...there's no way to avoid a brake housing. the Madone has vector wings or something named like that open up as you steer left to right.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 pm 

I knew the front brake would be an issue, but sentences like this confused me:

From Bikeradar:

"While the aerofoil shape of the bars is familiar, the main new features here are the cable ports, which allow internal routing via the stem, then either to the gears or to a Di2 battery position inside the fork steerer"

Now I've thought about it, I understand. But the 'to the gears' was not clear they were talking about shifters rather than mechs.

Maybe on the next bike!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 pm 

front brake is integrated under the head tube with a bulge that contains the front brake cable housing. my friends Madone 9.9 brakes seem to be proprietary...like the rear brake as well. there's a flap on each side that opens up when turning.
as far as the shift cables...easier to tuck away than the front brake housing and cable...either mech or electronic.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 pm