New Chorus RD....bent??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Just got Chorus installed on my bike.
Tested it in the shop and everything was fine, but I didn't pay attention to the noise and rear derailleur.

Got home, changed the tires and reinstalled wheels and was testing it again and found it quite noisy.
Double checked rear wheel was on properly, reinstalled it on the floor so QR are fully in.

The FD is fine but the rear is noisy, sounds like grinding sound.

I must admit I haven't done the RD indexing myself yet, so I could do the youtube videos but I did take a photo of my RD on the 50front, 5th cog on rear......is it bent??

I thought the grinding sound was coming from the top wheel of the RD...

thoughts?
Attachments
chorus rd.jpeg

AJS914

by AJS914

The first thing that I noticed is that your top pulley seems really far away from the cogs. I'm guessing that your chain is too short plus you might need to adjust the derailleur closer to the cogs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I noticed on my bike that depending on how tight I set the rear quick release I actually get a slightly different angle on the RD. Could this be the result of a tighter than before quick release?

If you know the QR shouldn't be more loose then I guess go ahead bending the derailleur hanger.

Pay more attention to the upper derailleur pulley than the whole cage. The upper pulley should be perfectly straight vertically and horisontally with the cassette cogs.

Some cages naturally bend depending on the amount of crosschaining.

/a

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

campag rear mechs hang like that they are designed that way. your noise will be down to jockey wheel alignment with the cogs and how far it is from the cogs.

Boshk

by Boshk

thanks guys.

1) had to move the derailleur wheel further up, its about 12mm now from the biggest cog with the front on 32. Would like it more but the retaining screw is pretty 'loose' already.......

2) had to adjust the limit screws and tension, seems to be okie for now, at least on the stand. Haven't ridden it yet.

3) Rear QR does move the derailleur quite noticeably. It was pretty tight when I picked up the bike and after installing my tires, I didn't adjust it as tight and this was when I got all the noise.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Looks to me like the jockey is not aligned with the sprocket. Too far in. Decrease cable tension.

I'd like to see pictures from the side in small-small and big-big to check chain length.

Has this shop ever worked on Campy equipment? The height adjustment is different with Campy and it certainly looks to be spaced off too far also. You loosen the screw to increase clearance. Do you have the instructions? I suggest you read them. https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_265_User_manual_rear%20derailleur_11-speed_Campagnolo_Rev01_08_14.pdf
Last edited by bikerjulio on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Boshk

by Boshk

bikerjulio wrote:Looks to me like the jockey is not aligned with the sprocket. Too far in. Increase cable tension.

I'd like to see pictures from the side in small-small and big-big to check chain length.

Has this shop ever worked on Campy equipment? The height adjustment is different with Campy and it certainly looks to be spaced off too far also. You loosen the screw to increase clearance. Do you have the instructions? I suggest you read them. https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_265_User_manual_rear%20derailleur_11-speed_Campagnolo_Rev01_08_14.pdf

whoops, guess I should RTFM and not watch youtube, out of all the youtube video, I had to watch the one that gives wrong instructions. (Artscyclery)

Thanks

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Boshk wrote:
whoops, guess I should RTFM and not watch youtube, out of all the youtube video, I had to watch the one that gives wrong instructions. (Artscyclery)

Thanks

I just checked the Art's video. The first comment was on the error re the H screw. Not the first time I've seen errors in non-Campy instruction videos.

Generally I think the Campy videos are fine.

I also made an error in my comment about cable tension (now fixed).

Adjust the height to be within the Campy spec. I'd still like to see those 2 pics from the side.

One.

Boshk

by Boshk

bikerjulio wrote:
Boshk wrote:

Thanks

I just checked the Art's video. The first comment was on the error re the H screw. Not the first time I've seen errors in non-Campy instruction videos.

Generally I think the Campy videos are fine.

I also made an error in my comment about cable tension (now fixed).

Adjust the height to be within the Campy spec. I'd still like to see those 2 pics from the side.

its about 6-7mm now.
chain I believe is right according to the manual or the calculation....50/34 with 12/29

Addition: took bike to LBS closer to home, same company. He found out, the hanger is bent. Bent it back a little, not perfect he said. Told me I have to get in touch with Bianchi if I want a new hanger.
Attachments
IMG_20171010_113843.jpg
IMG_20171010_113746.jpg
IMG_20171010_113612.jpg
Last edited by Boshk on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

It looks like you have a short cage derailleur with a too-large cog. You should probably have a medium cage if you want to run that cog.

Boshk

by Boshk

GothicCastle wrote:It looks like you have a short cage derailleur with a too-large cog. You should probably have a medium cage if you want to run that cog.

I thought the new Chorus RD is able to cater for up to 30cog

Attermann

by Attermann

You are showing it on the 50-29 combination right?

Boshk

by Boshk

Attermann wrote:You are showing it on the 50-29 combination right?

yea, for chain length
top photo is 50-29
middle photo is 34-12

RD upper wheel position
bottom photo 34-29

wilwil

by wilwil

Check the jockey wheels are a) the correct way round and b) the lower one is in the lower position. Very important. I heard that some rear mechs were shipping with them the wrong way round. The words are written on the jockey wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

With your setup, the total takeup is 33T which is at the absolute limit of what a short cage will do. Chain length is critical. Your photos do a good job of showing why this is so. (take them from drive side next time).

IMO the chain is one link too short. I'd rather see the small-small combo a little slack than the extreme extension in the big-big that you show. Not good.

One.