Pinarello F10 Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

My F10 frame will arrive in a few days, and I'm feeling the pressure on deciding which groupset to use. Was going with Dura Ace Di2, but having serious second thoughts as I'm not 100% in love with the ergonomics. Campy just works so much better for me.

I've been doing a lot of reading and asking on how well EPS V3 is working out. Sounds like it's very reliable, once set up properly.

Thought I ask here to get more feedback, to help with my decision.

fogman

by fogman

I was thinking of Super Record EPS V3 on my F10 but went with 2015+ Super Record mechanical instead. I also have 2014 Super Record mechanical on my 65.1. Very happy with my decision.

Congratulations on your new frame. You will definitely enjoy the ride. What color code is your F10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Looking forward in seeing your finish F10. What part of ergo do you not like about the Shimano?
I’m assuming you have experience with Campy which is why you are leaning towards it. However, I think you should physically experience the V3 first hand prior to making the decision. Visit your LBS and decide let the rest guide you. I prefer my DI2 as it’s never let me down and bang on the money shifting performance and btw I am still old school 9070 di2. Have ridden on the new Di2 but I’m saving it for my new build.

Good luck!
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

ntb1001

by ntb1001

I am really happy with Record eps V2. I can only guess that V3 would be at least as good.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

fogman wrote: . . . went with 2015+ Super Record mechanical instead.

Brilliant choice.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Thanks for the kind comments. I've added a picture of the color scheme (169, Asteroid Red) I've chosen, which also looks like the demo I've been riding for about 3 weeks now.

The demo has 9150 Di2, and strangely enough, is a 55cm. I'm 6'2" and my frame is 56cm. The 55 is just a bit too small, but if I had to live with it, I'd take it in a heartbeat. The 56 will be perfect.

I've been with Campy for decades, and new to Di2 (3 weeks), and the upshift button isn't ideal for me under certain stressful conditions. I do not have this issue with Campy.

9150 Dura Ace Di2 is absolutely beautiful, but to me, this frame screams Campagnolo, especially with the color scheme.

What I like about electric, is the simple tap of button shifting under very stressful conditions. It saves energy over time. I've confirmed this while riding with Dura Ace Di2 these past few weeks. Other friends emphatically say the same thing.

Last edited by Bridgeman on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boshk

by Boshk

Bridgeman wrote:Thanks for the kind comments. I've added a picture of the color scheme I've chosen, which also looks like the demo I've been riding for about 3 weeks now.

The demo has 9150 Di2, and strangely enough, is a 55cm. I'm 6'2" and my frame is 56cm. The 55 is just a bit too small, but if I had to live with it, I'd take it in a heartbeat. The 56 will be perfect.

I've been with Campy for decades, and new to Di2 (3 weeks), and the upshift button isn't ideal for me under certain stressful conditions. I do not have this issue with Campy. .....

Its so nice you guys get to demo bikes, 3 weeks!! especially more expensive models.

Seedster

by Seedster

I am using campy record EPS V3 on both of my bikes without issue. The biggest problem i had was iwth the MyCampy mobile application but it doesnt impact my ability to ride the bike. It's due for overall shortly.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Seedster wrote:I am using campy record EPS V3 on both of my bikes without issue. The biggest problem i had was iwth the MyCampy mobile application but it doesnt impact my ability to ride the bike. It's due for overall shortly.

Great to read this! I'm definitely leaning towards EPS V3. The ergo function is just perfection for me. Did you assemble it yourself?

Oh, keep forgetting, satellite buttons might just solve the ergo issue I have with Di2. Any thoughts or experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

LionelB

by LionelB

Been very happy with my EPS v2 on the F8. Not one issue in 3 years. If you are a campy guy skip Di2. Shimano sucks :)

cymans

by cymans

I thought i would chime in here, but may get some rap !
I had SR EPS V3 on my new build last year, and to be honest i didn't get on with it. Yes it's very very pretty, but i found it almost impossible to dial in for a perfect rear gear change compared to DA Di2. Yes the front mech on the EPS worked great, but is heavier than the DI2.
I also found the V3 function almost pointless. It comes already setup in "race mode" and i truly believe Di2 is faster and more precise.

And for the super high price you pay for SR i expect perfection with regard to gear change.

Also you don't have the flexibility you have with hiding the V3 module if you wish to do so. And the Campag plug/sockets are very fragile.
So i'm running DA Di2 on all 3 of my bike......Perfect and Reliable gear change !

Regards,
Cyman.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

cymans wrote:I thought i would chime in here, but may get some rap !
I had SR EPS V3 on my new build last year, and to be honest i didn't get on with it. Yes it's very very pretty, but i found it almost impossible to dial in for a perfect rear gear change compared to DA Di2. Yes the front mech on the EPS worked great, but is heavier than the DI2.
I also found the V3 function almost pointless. It comes already setup in "race mode" and i truly believe Di2 is faster and more precise.

And for the super high price you pay for SR i expect perfection with regard to gear change.

Also you don't have the flexibility you have with hiding the V3 module if you wish to do so. And the Campag plug/sockets are very fragile.
So i'm running DA Di2 on all 3 of my bike......Perfect and Reliable gear change !

Regards,
Cyman.

I appreciate your insight. Do you believe the alignment of hanger/rear derailleur were accomplished properly?

I have found the Dura Ace Di2 rear derailleur to be extremely precise, both in function and when adjustment is needed for a different wheel with a slight offset cassette. Until now, I was with the impression that EPS could exhibit the same characteristic.

Seedster

by Seedster

Bridgeman wrote:
Seedster wrote:I am using campy record EPS V3 on both of my bikes without issue. The biggest problem i had was iwth the MyCampy mobile application but it doesnt impact my ability to ride the bike. It's due for overall shortly.

Great to read this! I'm definitely leaning towards EPS V3. The ergo function is just perfection for me. Did you assemble it yourself?

Oh, keep forgetting, satellite buttons might just solve the ergo issue I have with Di2. Any thoughts or experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Nope shop put the Protos together and a good friend/cyclist assembled the other. That said, if you can run cables, and have access to Youtube, you should be able to manage on your own.

Either way, i am certain you will not be disappointed. Get what speaks to you and enjoy yourself.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I've had every EPS iteration including Athena and Chorus. I can honestly say EPS V3 is the most refined in every aspect. Talking about shifting front and specially rear there must be some kind of trickery going on on V3 that makes it even better. I never expected this as V1 and V2 seemed all one could ask for in terms of precision, but somehow they managed to improve it. It is splitting hairs but the shifts on V3 seem more crisp, yet incredibly smooth. Add that to the fact that the tactile feedback on the levers is delicious in all EPS editions.

I still have a mechanical Record bike, but its pure romanticism. It's extremely good, but EPS is a completely different beast. Something you'll never have to worry about, just ride. And every single time will give you nothing but the best possible shift.

About Di2, I honestly don't believe in this thing of "Italian frame, Italian gears". Go to Italy and many people, probably more than 50% of those on top-tier Italian frames are on Shimano.

I prefer Campagnolo because I feel it still has an edge on pure function on the bike.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

On an F10 or other bike where you can hide the DI2 junction box in the frame (but not the EPS box), I would go DI2 any day, much cleaner!! Although I would really love to have and EPS equiped bike, until they make a much smaller box that can be hidden as DI2, I will continue on DI2. And I have been riding mecanical Campy for almost 20 years before switching to 9070, and now 9170.