9170 funnel adapter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I have a set of Dura Ace 9170 shifters (only the shifters) arriving shortly for my CX bike as I am using 785 post mount brakes..
Does anyone know if those individual levers come with the funnel adapters?? I can't see anywhere that says yes or no.. I can't find the adapter anywhere in North America.. looks like without the adapter you can't bleed the brakes...

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by ParisCarbon on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

if you only get the shifters and not the kit, it does not come with the funnel. you'll have to buy the funnel and the bleed kit separately. the kit has hoses and the funnel with mineral oil.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

lovemyway

by lovemyway

kode54 wrote:if you only get the shifters and not the kit, it does not come with the funnel. you'll have to buy the funnel and the bleed kit separately. the kit has hoses and the funnel with mineral oil.

This is not true, I got the two separate levers and one of them (if I remember the right one) comes with the adapter.

kode54

by kode54

lovemyway wrote:
kode54 wrote:if you only get the shifters and not the kit, it does not come with the funnel. you'll have to buy the funnel and the bleed kit separately. the kit has hoses and the funnel with mineral oil.

This is not true, I got the two separate levers and one of them (if I remember the right one) comes with the adapter.

if its the retail box version...its possible. if OEM in polybag...no.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

MisterEd

by MisterEd

^ this is the part number etc, if that helps your search

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I got the levers from ProBikekit.. so not sure what version will come...
I ended up ordering the funnel adapter from Germany...its the only place I could find it.. by the time it gets to Canada my CX season will be over... I did ask them if I could pay more for shipping to get it DHL 2 day.. for something that small I can't imagine it being more than $20

Im assuming the adapter is not included..

Im tempted to buy 2 funnels and try and frankenstein the 2 together somehow to make this work.. I figure If I can cut the bottom of one off and get some kind of tubing over it, and then link it to the other funnel... thinking about using fuel line tubing like I use in my RC airplanes.. its flexible enough to slide over but won't leak...

Disappointing a required piece isn't included and I have to order it from the other side of the world...

dmcgoy

by dmcgoy

I freaked out when I got my 9170 levers (retail, USA) and I couldn't find them in the first box I opened. Later I found the adapter in the RIGHT (rear) box. So you are only screwed if you buy the front only.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Thats good to know... I ordered from PBK... am a little concerned now whether I am gonna get a retail box or just a lever wrapped in plastic.. I'd assume everything would be there.. and I have a L and R coming... fingers crossed!!!!

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Just a follow up as my parts arrived today.. the RIGHT lever did include the funnel adapter.... I think someone earlier said the same..

Weird.. so I have a funnel coming now from Germany as a spare... :noidea:

justaute

by justaute

FWIW...9170 levers seem to also require a different Flange Connecting Bolt. Parts #3 and #4 in the below linked PDF. I can't find them right now. Sucks in that I have the levers but not the connecting hardware.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-ST-R9170-4079.pdf

ms6073

by ms6073

justaute wrote:Sucks in that I have the levers but not the connecting hardware.

The Joint Support Ring (Parts 3) should be attached to the shifter, whereas the flange is supplied with the SM-BH90-JK-SSR Disc Brake Hose Kit, not the levers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

justaute

by justaute

ms6073 wrote:

The Joint Support Ring (Parts 3) should be attached to the shifter, whereas the flange is supplied with the SM-BH90-JK-SSR Disc Brake Hose Kit, not the levers.

Thanks. I'll look into it. I'm ware of the BH90 kit, but didn't know there's a specific kit for 9170. Will tell my shop. That said, it seems as though nobody has this kit in stock.

dmcgoy

by dmcgoy

justaute wrote:
ms6073 wrote:

Thanks. I'll look into it. I'm ware of the BH90 kit, but didn't know there's a specific kit for 9170. Will tell my shop. That said, it seems as though nobody has this kit in stock.

Universal cycles:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=41870

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

dmcgoy wrote:
justaute wrote:
ms6073 wrote:

Universal cycles:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=41870

Thanks. Found it after some looking. I wish Shimano would just sell that Flange Connecting Bolt. The BH90 hose kits are already widely available. I guess it just wants us consumers to spend more money.