Which (disc) bike would you choose?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

kit wrote:(Time Scylon disc)
Aero and rare

Yes I had it also on my list. But too expensive unfortunately.
Actually not my type of design for the paint (somehow like the 3T frames).
But excellent quality indeed! and nice to be able to get a custom paint.

TonyM

by TonyM

Delorre wrote:Keep in mind that F10 and BMC are limited to real 28mm tyres. The bmc I saw at my lbs had 25mm Vittoria corsa's, and clearance at the rear stay was only a few mm. Same with F10, clearance at the chainstay is fairly limited. But if you have to choose, I would go F10 disc. A little heavier, a less compliant, but potentially more speed and (for me) better looking!

wheelsONfire wrote:With these latest generations of aero bikes, many look so close to each other.
I would also ask myself, now that UCI scrapped the 3:1 rule, what can you expect from next generation of aero bikes!?
Is it really the time to plunge big bucks in a bike like F10 disc at this moment?

If that is not of any concern, i would look at tire clearance to.
You mentioned you'd want this bike for rain etc?
Then i guess you'd also concern riding with larger tires?

When rims have steadily increased in width, a 25mm tire most likely will swell out to 26-28mm on the latest rims.
Maybe a 28mm tire will hit a true width of 30mm.

The removal of the 3:1 rule by the UCI will indeed bring new type of bikes in the next years indeed.
I "just" want to avoid to have a really "non-aero" bike (like my current C60). So basically a BMC with some more aero properties.
Not sure if BMC will update the Teammachine in the next 2 years with some more aero properties...

I need a clearance for 25mm tires (I usually ride on 23/25 or 25/25 and this is plenty conformable for me).
But indeed with the 19mm rims, some 25mm tires would measure almost 27mm. I have to check with my LBS who has a Teammachine in his shop. Don't know for the F10 disc however.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Do you have a link? or the issue#? (can't find it on tour-magazin.de)

ergott

by ergott

That Wilier looks like one piece bar/stem combo. If so and that’s the bar angle you are stuck with then that’s definitely a deal breaker for me. Looks like they don’t expect people to use the drops much.

TonyM

by TonyM

ergott wrote:That Wilier looks like one piece bar/stem combo. If so and that’s the bar angle you are stuck with then that’s definitely a deal breaker for me. Looks like they don’t expect people to use the drops much.

I had the problem that this stem/ combo is only available in a few variants (and not for example in 110mm/40cm).

I was then told that you can use the classic stem: the Wilier Stemma stem (and the Wilier Barra bar) which are on the Centp10 NDR and which also hide all cables (Di2 and hydraulic) in the stem/ headset.
Attachments
IMG_9422.jpeg

ergott

by ergott

That’s a much nicer option.

LAN

by LAN

The article is published on Wilier site:

https://www.wilier.com/sites/default/files/tour_4_17_technik_italo_rennrader.pdf

With the "reference" Zipp 404 it´s gets to second place on Tour´s virtual race track 4s behind Trek Madone

Attachments
f528820f7cd70ba086643cda7408142a4f42cbf1.jpg

TonyM

by TonyM

@ LAN: THANKS! :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

Just for the record, I ended up ordering a Pinarello F10 disk in red magma.
Size 50 and 120mm/-10° stem. Dura Ace Di2 9170 and most probably Shimano C60 clincher wheels.
Delivery time is approx. 4 months.

The decision was pretty much hard for me as all the 4 bikes were really very nice. But at the end, I decided for the F10 Disk as the BMC SLR01 Disc was quite similar to my C60 (confortable, not aero); The Scott Foil Disc would have add "too much Scott" in my garage (I have 2 Scott MTB already) and I wanted a "different" bike; The Wilier Cento10 Air Disc was "too beautiful" to my taste. The Time had a paint that I really disliked unfortunately.

I will therefore end up having 4 road bikes:
- Colnago C60/ Campy SR mech.: sunny days and bike rides over 150km.
- Pinarello F10 Disk/ DA 9170: showers/ mixed rainy days
- BMC Roadmachine02 (w/ full fenders&mudguards)/ DA 9170: winter and 100% rainy days
- Colnago Dream/ DA 8 speed: home trainer Tacx Neo and occasional rides outside maybe
Last edited by TonyM on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Good call
Great colour.

Hope you enjoy it

I only have one bike so am saved from the unenviable burden of choice that you must face before a bike ride :D
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

TonyM

by TonyM

Squashednuts wrote:Good call
Great colour.

Hope you enjoy it

I only have one bike so am saved from the unenviable burden of choice that you must face before a bike ride :D

I used to have also only 1 bike (+1 on the home trainer) before I moved over here in Canada/ BC.
But over here the winter is long and it could be quite rainy also in the summer, so that I decided to "invest" in a winter and a rain bike :?

But you are right depending on the weather I theoretically can choose between two bikes each time. That's good for the motivation :mrgreen:

MoPho

by MoPho

Now you just need a warm weather bike, a cool weather bike, and a cloudy day bike... :mrgreen:

TonyM

by TonyM

MoPho wrote:Now you just need a warm weather bike, a cool weather bike, and a cloudy day bike... :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
For that I have my 1 billion cloth combination :P

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Actually MoPho, I'm guessing someone from Norcal who takes beautiful photos might need those 3 for the Norcal weather :wink:

MoPho

by MoPho

Gearjunkie wrote:Actually MoPho, I'm guessing someone from Norcal who takes beautiful photos might need those 3 for the Norcal weather :wink:

Ha, not me, I only need one road bike for all seasons. 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com