Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 am
Posts: 94
Calnago wrote:
I'm not sure why Hambini is making the recommendation NOT to use grease here. And I've never heard of grease "attacking" carbon. In fact, that's how most headsets are these days... the headtubes have the carbon bearing seats molded into the carbon and you just drop the bearings right in top and bottom, with appropriate amounts of grease.


Grease attacking carbon fibre is well known and well documented, some of the constituents in grease (depending on which sort) attack the binding agent in carbon fibre.

_________________
Hambini
The science behind Aero Road wheels!!
Ceramic v Steel Bearings: The Truth
Visit the Hambini Website


Top
   
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:34 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm
Posts: 4916
Hmmm.... it would seem then that either the vast majority of bicycle manufacturers are unaware of this or that it is not something to worry about for this application.

_________________
Colnago C60 - PR99; C59 Five Years Later; My Special Colnago EPQ
Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 1352
Location: The Lone Star State
I'll chime in, since I've had issues in the past. QR's are a good place to look, as well as the headset. If you didn't assemble your bike, you might not be aware of how the cables are routed. The lower bearing is a standard lower HT bearing, but the upper bearing has an inner sleeve, through which the cables pass. Make sure there is grease on all contact points there. When I've had creaking in my bike, it's usually after I've washed it, and some of the grease I put in the headset bearings has washed out. To grease it, just loosen the stem, lift it a little, then work some grease under the bearings. Tighten everything up and give it a try.

_________________
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Bristol uk
FIJIGabe wrote:
I'll chime in, since I've had issues in the past. QR's are a good place to look, as well as the headset. If you didn't assemble your bike, you might not be aware of how the cables are routed. The lower bearing is a standard lower HT bearing, but the upper bearing has an inner sleeve, through which the cables pass. Make sure there is grease on all contact points there. When I've had creaking in my bike, it's usually after I've washed it, and some of the grease I put in the headset bearings has washed out. To grease it, just loosen the stem, lift it a little, then work some grease under the bearings. Tighten everything up and give it a try.

Thanks i will try that

_________________
COLNAGO C60 SUPER RECORD EPS
Pinarello f8 sram etap
Eddy merckx 69 ultegra disc winter bike


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Canada
Calnago wrote:
Hmmm.... it would seem then that either the vast majority of bicycle manufacturers are unaware of this or that it is not something to worry about for this application.


:beerchug: I agree. Either this is some theoretical concept that doesn’t apply in real life, or the great hambini is totally off base.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Posts: 259
Location: Wilmington, DE
markyboy wrote:
What primer is it and do you mix them or put on before loctite?


Loctite 7471 or 7649 per the datasheet for 609: https://tds.us.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNAUTTD ... 609-EN.pdf

Brush the primer on the carbon fiber bore and allow to dry (takes seconds usually). Apply 609 to the clean bearing and press quickly into place.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Bristol uk
joejack951 wrote:
markyboy wrote:
What primer is it and do you mix them or put on before loctite?


Loctite 7471 or 7649 per the datasheet for 609: https://tds.us.henkel.com/NA/UT/HNAUTTD ... 609-EN.pdf

Brush the primer on the carbon fiber bore and allow to dry (takes seconds usually). Apply 609 to the clean bearing and press quickly into place.

ok thanks i will try the headset first and if still creaking i will try this.

_________________
COLNAGO C60 SUPER RECORD EPS
Pinarello f8 sram etap
Eddy merckx 69 ultegra disc winter bike


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:31 pm
Posts: 1806
Location: Funky Town, NJ
My Madone 9 is creaking from the Iso-decoupler joint... only creeks when in the saddle...

Warranty claim pending... might be seeing a new frame.

Thought it was the BB or rear QR. nope...


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Bristol uk
I have now greased all the front end and now needs to go for a ride to see if it still creaks.

_________________
COLNAGO C60 SUPER RECORD EPS
Pinarello f8 sram etap
Eddy merckx 69 ultegra disc winter bike


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Bristol uk
Does anyone have any photos or have a link to the madone 9 decoupler?cant seem to find any.
Do they need to be serviced?if so whats involved as i have not even taken the covers off of mine.

_________________
COLNAGO C60 SUPER RECORD EPS
Pinarello f8 sram etap
Eddy merckx 69 ultegra disc winter bike


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Bristol uk
Still creaking :unbelievable: loctite 609 on bb,greased all skewers,tightend iso decoupler etc etc.
Put bike on tacx neo no creaking what could it be?could it be on the back wheel somewhere?dura ace c35.
I will swap out the back wheel and try it with my bora back wheel and see if that creaks.

_________________
COLNAGO C60 SUPER RECORD EPS
Pinarello f8 sram etap
Eddy merckx 69 ultegra disc winter bike


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 846
markyboy wrote:
Still creaking :unbelievable: loctite 609 on bb,greased all skewers,tightend iso decoupler etc etc.
Put bike on tacx neo no creaking what could it be?could it be on the back wheel somewhere?dura ace c35.
I will swap out the back wheel and try it with my bora back wheel and see if that creaks.


Can be the DA casssette (known issue) or the free-hub. Had that issue with some dt240 rear wheel after only 2 months of use. A 10' service (cleaned + regreased) and silent until now!

_________________
Current bikes:
Scott Addict Premium Disc 2018
Scott Addict Orica Greenedge 2015

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:03 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 846
Never mind above mention of DA, I now see you are on etap, so I suppose you use a red cassette? But, put some grease on the interface between cassette and freehub body for the sake of it.

_________________
Current bikes:
Scott Addict Premium Disc 2018
Scott Addict Orica Greenedge 2015

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Bristol uk
Delorre wrote:
markyboy wrote:
Still creaking :unbelievable: loctite 609 on bb,greased all skewers,tightend iso decoupler etc etc.
Put bike on tacx neo no creaking what could it be?could it be on the back wheel somewhere?dura ace c35.
I will swap out the back wheel and try it with my bora back wheel and see if that creaks.


Can be the DA casssette (known issue) or the free-hub. Had that issue with some dt240 rear wheel after only 2 months of use. A 10' service (cleaned + regreased) and silent until now!

Thats my next option and see what happens thanks

_________________
COLNAGO C60 SUPER RECORD EPS
Pinarello f8 sram etap
Eddy merckx 69 ultegra disc winter bike


Top
   
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:14 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 618
Location: Bristol uk
Silent at last :D i took off cassette greased and cleaned hub happy days :D

_________________
COLNAGO C60 SUPER RECORD EPS
Pinarello f8 sram etap
Eddy merckx 69 ultegra disc winter bike


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. The rarest Madone there ever was - 2006 Madone SSLx Boron OCLV

in Road

durianrider

9

2410

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 am

cyclenutnz View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Upgrade Madone 7 to Madone 9 - worth it?

in Road

Erwin

8

1269

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 am

Erwin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help me tracking down creaking

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

nemeseri

17

1358

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:14 pm

rmr40 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Another Creaking Noise Question

in Road

ipenguinking

14

708

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:45 pm

ipenguinking View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help me fix my CREAKING bb30 bottom bracket

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

jobvisser

33

3171

Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:11 am

glepore View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], coriordan, Imaking20, LAN and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited