Sidi Wire -vs- Gaerne G Stilo pretty unbiased

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I love italian made shoes. Particularly italian made cycling shoes. Not an italian brand made in Honduras or Chile, but italian shoes made in italy, of italian materials. I have had a bit of a thing for Gaerne shoes since a pair of MTB shoes I purchased in 2011. G Stilo's are Gaerne's top of the line road offering and come in at 499.00. They feature low stack height carbon soles, 2 Boa LP1 dials, a forward mounted velcro strap, awesome gaudy italian style, a nice low weight and are supremely comfortable. I was drawn to these initially because they generally fly a bit below the radar as compared to giant Sidi and all the other offerings out there. There is a bit of exclusivity associated with them and you don't see them everyday. My experience with them save for a cracked Boa guide channel, (which Boa replaced to their credit) has been what I thought was perfect. The ubiquitous high quality cycling shoe that performs well, looks good, and you don't think about your feet. I am blessed with narrow feet and can easily pull off these italian cycling shoes that many Americans can not.........................................................Enough about the Gaernes...............................................................

I was initially turned off a bit by how many cyclist's use Sidi. They are pretty common here in N. California, but my wife thought it was time to try some Push Wires and she bought me a pair.

Now this is weight weenies, and I would be remiss not to mention the obvious and drastic weight difference between these two models. actually, between any high end cycling shoes and the Sidis. These are very heavy. I am guessing the more complicated Technu dials, the hardware laden heel retention system, and the instep strap are the culprits here. I would also be remiss not to mention that after about twenty minutes of riding the weight issue becomes a non issue. You get used to it quickly and it becomes a non issue.
For me personally, these shoes are superior in every conceivable way to the Gaernes. The fit is simply fantastically comfortable. I literally could not believe the difference. I never had a single thing to complain about with the Gaernes, but these have opened my eyes to a new level of cycling shoe comfort I didn't know existed. (I have never worn heat mold-able upper equipped shoes before so I have no point of reference there.) While the Technu dials are far more complicated than the Boa counterparts, and only micro adjustable in the tightening direction only, they work as advertised. The instep strap is a big comfort and fit improvement over the strap-less Gaernes even though the strap looks a bit more outdated than no strap. They are very stiff, and the patent leather like "Vernice" finish is really good looking. Stitching and workmanship is absolutely top notch in a way that non italian made shoes just can't equal. The huge advantage for me is the adjustable heel cup. It actually works and has a whole lot of adjustment range. You can tighten the two screws independently on either side of the spring equipped band and get the fit dialed in to the millimeter. Yes millimeter. Absolutely perfect. Genius idea, that actually really makes a huge difference and is not a bunch of marketing. These come in at 499.00 as well so it is an even comparison in that aspect. I know this has been a painfully long review, but my intent is to sing the praises of these shoes. Highly recommended. I have about 200 miles on them so it's not a bunch of new product clouded judgement.

To prove I am not full of shit, here are my Gaernes.......

and here are the Wires.

Never cheer before you know who is winning

junchen

by junchen

Love ur write up...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

junchen wrote:Love ur write up...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I was pretty concerned after I hit submit that it was pretty rambling, without much detail.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Good one.
Years ago when I had new pair of Wire and G.Chrono (Stilo were not there yet) at home for couple of days to make my mind, Wires came on top by quite margin. More less for the reasons you described.
The last eight months a was riding in Bont Vaypor S, like them. One day just for the sake of wearing something different I put Wires on.
And there was a big WOW. I realized how comfy these shoes are, how nicely your feet are wrapped and supported.
It is worth mentioning that althought the inner bottom part is nicely shaped in the foot arch section, their inner sole being quite thin and flat, sometimes does not give enough support for your foot.
That was the first thing that I and as I know quite a number of other users did, replacing the inner sole for something more supporting the arch.
The other thing, if they only ditched their closing system and went for boa..... :)

sharkman

by sharkman

Nice writeup but since this is weightweenies I would stick with the Gaernes or switch to something from Giro or Specialized (still like the nike poggios)
Had the wire’s and they are good shoes but They gave me the same feeling as a lot of modern performance orientatet sport cars ( tons of power but also extremely overweighted due to luxury and safety options)
So the sidi where sold and the verdict was: good shoes but only a winner if they would have the same or less weight as the chrono’s

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

I have also used both top models from Sidi and Gaerne. I don 't think that there is a considerable difference in terms of their quality. Both shoes are very well made and the fit was excellent for my narrow foot in both. Maybe Sidi's quality is slightly better since the materials are thicker-heavier but softer, the tongue is reinforced, the boa dials seem sturdier and the adjustmenet od the heel is something that Gaerne lacks. In my country Gaerne G Stilo is still 50-80 euros cheaper than Sidi Wire.

Certainly 100% made in Italy shoes are much better in terms of quality than any Specialized or Giro but a few riders will appreciate that since most tend to replace their shoes every two-three years or so. There is certainly a reason why so many top pro riders prefer Sidi despite their heavy weight.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Great write up!

Basically the same experience here, but with Sidi Shot. They are porky heavy -- but oh so comfortable. I do plenty of 100+ milers, and have an upcoming 240-mile ride at the end of October. The weight is noticeable for the first ride on the shoes, and then only for perhaps the first few miles. Afterwards, the lack of any pressure, pain, or discomfort was (for me) the deal clincher. I can accept a lot of concessions for lightness on the bike, but foot pain isn't one of them, The Sidi Shot was a revelation for me after wearing gobs other brands.

p.s. Candidly, I think the wire retention system is more advanced than BOA (especially with the micro adjustments), but it is quite fiddly to release the shoe and kind of a nuisance.

1415chris

by 1415chris

The placement of locking system on Shots makes it almost impossible to tighten them up as hard as you could do that with ease on Wires. It may not be a big deal but it was my impression.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I concur with everyone's opinions here. Pretty much right on. I want to make sure it's clear that in my opinion there is no difference in workmanship, stitching, or fit and finish. Just fit and comfort.

sharkman

by sharkman

So true, only one addition from my side, if you want white shoes choose gaerne since sidis have a habbit of rapid yellowing (even the gloss version) Gaerne does better and chronos stay white)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

reknop

by reknop

kgt wrote:I have also used both top models from Sidi and Gaerne. I don 't think that there is a considerable difference in terms of their quality. Both shoes are very well made and the fit was excellent for my narrow foot in both. Maybe Sidi's quality is slightly better since the materials are thicker-heavier but softer, the tongue is reinforced, the boa dials seem sturdier and the adjustmenet od the heel is something that Gaerne lacks. In my country Gaerne G Stilo is still 50-80 euros cheaper than Sidi Wire.

Certainly 100% made in Italy shoes are much better in terms of quality than any Specialized or Giro but a few riders will appreciate that since most tend to replace their shoes every two-three years or so. There is certainly a reason why so many top pro riders prefer Sidi despite their heavy weight.

I'm using the Sidi Wire SP shoes (Speedplay specific sole) so not widely available. Sidi still offers the SP version but a high price point. Gearne offers both Chrono and Stillo versions with a Speedplay specific version.

I'm very happy with the Sidi's but the Gearne look well made as well. I can easily get my hands on the slightly cheaper Gearnes, so I will give them a try next season.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Three quick additional observations that I have noticed over the last few days. The cleat alignment hash marks are more visable/usable on the Wires, and they are identically printed on both the left and right shoe. I have seen/used other road shoes (Gaerne included) where they weren't identical shoe to shoe. The sole vent that can be opened and closed on the Wire actually works for me. I can tell the difference between open and closed. I have read several reviewers that have stated they cannot feel a difference, and I believe their experiences, for me though, I can tell. Also, while the technu dials are more cumbersome and complicated than Boa, I do very much like that they are free to "float" a bit. Meaning as where Boa systems are sewn firmly to the upper of the shoe on all sides, the technu dial is only sewn at the trailing edge and is on a bit of a hinge that lets it move up and down from the surface of the upper. This changes the angle at which the lace enters the dial depending on the shape of your foot, what you are doing, etc. To me this feels much more comfortable than a fixed position Boa dial, and might aid in durability.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have been riding the Gaerne G.Stilo for about 6 months. Way more comfortable than the S-Works shoes which were really painful around my ankles.
I agree Sidi's are best made shoe out there and I would have gotten Wires but something about the forefoot that just doesn't agree with my feet but the Gaerne's are no problem. I think Gaerne is one step behind quality from Sidi and much better than S-Works. Gaerne has a nice glossy surface that is easy to clean, S-Works are matte and just look ugly.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Furthermore! As I have discovered, every component of these shoes is replaceable by the user. This leads to unlimited customization opportunities. I can see this getting out of hand with different color combinations.....

reknop

by reknop

reknop wrote:I'm using the Sidi Wire SP shoes (Speedplay specific sole) so not widely available. Sidi still offers the SP version but a high price point. Gearne offers both Chrono and Stillo versions with a Speedplay specific version.

I'm very happy with the Sidi's but the Gearne look well made as well. I can easily get my hands on the slightly cheaper Gearnes, so I will give them a try next season.

I ran into another pair of Sidi Wire SP shoes, simply because the price-point was to good to resist. :)
Happy with my purchase and now getting the Speedplay Walkable cleats installed properly. Ergon TP1 cleat tool doesn't do its job anymore with the differences in cleat shape ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com