Carbon saddle ate my shorts ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ukracer

by ukracer

Hi , I have just stripped and sanded an SLR saddle.
Just started to wonder if the sharp (but smoothed )edges will wear at my bibs ?
Any experience with these saddles or other bare carbon eating shorts ?

jorryt

by jorryt

No my carbon saddle doesn't like lycra. I am trying to get him vegetarian but he just does not listen ;)

But serious No. I was worried as well but nothing happened.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

It can happen, depends on the saddle.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Both my AX-Leaf and my Tune Komm Vor + ate through the inner stitching on my rapha bib-shorts.. thank god, Rapha customer support is good and repaired both for free. Both saddles have since become room decorations as I moved back to my Fizik..

But then again, this all depends not on just the saddle but if you have thick (for me, FAT) thighs..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

ukracer wrote:Hi , I have just stripped and sanded an SLR saddle.
Just started to wonder if the sharp (but smoothed )edges will wear at my bibs ?
Any experience with these saddles or other bare carbon eating shorts ?

How is your fitness level? Are you at you ideal weight for the bike? Did you buy a new saddle?
When I started and was overweight for like 40-60 lbs my shorts would get eaten.
I thought it was the saddle which can be but the more fat you have on your body the more it will rub in places you don't want it to rub.
Once I lost the weight I stopped burning the shorts.
Now I changed saddles and I am burning the saddle In Certain points. Funny. The shorts are fine.
The saddle position and the saddle shape will influence this as well but mainly I think that if you are over weight this would be a more determining factor in shorts wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

Im 175 cm, and 71.5 kg in this moment, so not considering that im too overweight. Also my fitness level is good, but still my Selle Italia SLR Carboni Flow, do damage to my shorts.. I have problems that stiching that keep chamois in place, are destroying. Seem that i have some rubbing on the nose of the saddle.. Anyway, i found local repair shop, that repair the things very cheap so not worried about it (it's a bit less comfortable then original after repair, but still rideable).

And also my saddle nose leather started to separate on 10000 km, i tried to glue it, but laster about 500 km then again.. So now im riding like that. And today i'll order new saddle, and the same SLR Carbonio Flow since i know im confortable on this saddle.. Thinking to switch to Berk Lupina, or AX Ligxtness Sprint or Tune SpeedNeedle or Komm-Vor+, but not having chance to test ride them can make me expensive mistake (not so easy to sell here).

In meanwhile i'll strip the old SLR and put it on my second bike, to test it there....

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

The braided rails of my Antares R1s catches the stitching on my shorts, the carbon is rough & acts like glasspaper on the stitching gradually wearing it away.
I now carefully smooth off the rails with some fine paper- prolem solved for me.

This may not be the cause of your issue, but thought it worth sharing, just in case :-)

3Pio

by 3Pio

Tomdaws wrote:The braided rails of my Antares R1s catches the stitching on my shorts, the carbon is rough & acts like glasspaper on the stitching gradually wearing it away.
I now carefully smooth off the rails with some fine paper- prolem solved for me.

This may not be the cause of your issue, but thought it worth sharing, just in case :-)

Thank u :) I'll check that on my saddle since all shorts i have now are ready for restitching because of that.. I think in my case somehow i rub on nose of the saddle while pedaling (even i dont feel it actually).

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Ax Lightness Sprint saddle ate through multiple bibs for me. It was the first Weight Weenie saddle I ever purchased. When I switched from the Selle Italia SLR to the Ax Lightness saddle, I noticed the damage to multiple bibs almost immediately. Since then, I have never had problems with Tune KOM, Tune Speed Needle, Dash M4, Dash S4, Dash P3, MCFK, M2 Racer, and Ax Lightness Phoenix. Everyone seems to have different experiences so a lot has to do with the riders anatomy right?
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

If you're not careful, I've found that you can accidentally rough up the edge of a carbon saddle by leaning the bike up against a wall or similar. I unsurprisingly found the roughed-up edges weren't friendly to bibs! To address it, I applied fingernail polish to the rough edges which effectively smoothed them out. I probably picked-up this tip here on WW. Enjoy